My damned foot

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
TPFKA@W

My damned foot

Post by TPFKA@W »

I posted somewhere that on 2-1-20 I managed to break my foot. Well technically my 5th metatarsal, which is actually a toe. But I broke it way up high so I just tell people, because they don't typically know or understand, or more likely even give a genuine rat's patoot about the technical aspects of my fracture, that I broke my foot.

I have been in a boot, first a short one and then, because there was ongoing pain, a taller boot. The boot has rendered me extremely clumsy. I was always fairly graceful, not dancing to Swan Lake graceful, but not knocking into walls and furniture nor tripping over rugs clumsy. The new boot, however has rocked my world, and not in a good way. Last night I wandered into the bathroom for my final visit for the night before bed and managed to trip over the door frame. There was a very loud, disturbingly loud, pop. I broke the damned toe again, in the freaking boot. The first time I pulled this shenanigan I could still walk on the foot, albeit in a bit of pain. This time no dice. I cannot bear even a bit of weight on it and after a trip back to the orthopod, I now have to ride around the house on a knee scooter. It apparently is a skill I am not going to come by naturally. I wonder what I will break next.

On the plus side my 6 year old bonus granddaughter said to me yesterday, "Mary, (my husband's ex wife) doesn't have any teeth, but you have teeth." So far I have that going for me, at least.

Joe Guy

Re: My damned foot

Post by Joe Guy »

Some people would give a 5th metatarsal for a set of teeth. Sorry to hear about your pain in the boot. It's bad enough that the economy is self-destructing as we speak, people are hoarding food and others are unable are left with leftovers and crumbs, and all this because of a global health crisis that's making everyone suspicious of each other. Look on the bright side, at least you're not at the age where you're officially a person who has been designated as a danger to yourself and told to not leave your house.

Take advantage of your situation. Get all the sympathy and help you possibly can from friends and family. I'll send you some food if you need it. If you want some expired yogurt, half a bag of romaine lettuce, leftover pizza and some half empty water bottles, let me know. I'll send it by overnight delivery.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I'll send you some food if you need it
I assume you will come over and prepare it?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'd be glad to prepare it but I'm currently being punished by the government for being old. Also, I don't want to fly in one of those flying COVID-19 containers and if I drive, I'd eat everything before I get to your house.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Wish you better, @w and freedom from pain. Hoard soap if Joe's visiting
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Ouch, ouch, ouch. Sorry, gracie :mrgreen:

Me, on the other hand, got a cortisone shot in my arthritic knee and I’m back to being able to workout again (albeit short/slow sessions, still, I’m so relieved).
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Oh hard lines!! That's a real bugger. Take care of yourself, and don't let Joe visit.*

*He never puts the toilet seat down after him.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Got to get that foot back in working order...

Think of all the small children who are going untripped while you are laid up... :D
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Be careful with the cortisone it has a tendency to make bones brittle
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Yikes. Best wishes on your recovery. Hope you have a good queue in your Netflix/Hulu/etc. while you take it easy during your mending.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

So sorry about your foot, @w, but congrats on the teeth! Make sure to put in a workers comp claim so you get treatment paid and at least some replacement income. The knee-scooter thing is a pain to use, so I recommend sitting on the sofa while the spousal unit caters to you.
GAH!

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Husband has dubbed my scooter “Black Beauty “ because I was scooting down the hall and feeling it was getting out of control and yelled, “Whoa whoooa!” It nearly threw me.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Sorry about your foot. I've never broken a metatarsal but I have broken several phalanges and they hurt like the devil. Even worse, when someone sees you limping and asks what happened they inevitably laugh when you say you've broken a toe. Poor little toes get no respect.

yrs,
rubato

RayThom

My damned foot

Post by RayThom »

Ouch! I can't imagine that kind of pain. I hope you're feeling better.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I broke my ankle and 5th metatarsal a year ago - fun fact my ortho shared is that the majority of older patients will have lifelong pain in the metatarsal even after successful mending of the bone, it's just a fact of foot fractures. Mine is now a very reliable barometer and aches after longer hikes (mile +) despite supportive footwear.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

Well you are a bright little beacon of joy.

[ignore her. only crabby people have chronic pain from trivial pedal injuries.]

yrs,
rubato

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

rubato wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:33 am
Well you are a bright little beacon of joy.

[ignore her. only crabby people have chronic pain from trivial pedal injuries.]

yrs,
rubato
I just laugh.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Hopefully you're getting some relief. I broke the small toe on my left foot a while back, got to the point where it was well enough to walk without too much support and proceeded to rebreak it. Setbacks suck.

If it helps any, please find a photo of your favorite cutie pie puppy wuppy doggie woggie whith ears that go flippity floppity

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

eddieq wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:03 pm
Hopefully you're getting some relief. I broke the small toe on my left foot a while back, got to the point where it was well enough to walk without too much support and proceeded to rebreak it. Setbacks suck.

If it helps any, please find a photo of your favorite cutie pie puppy wuppy doggie woggie whith ears that go flippity floppity

AWWWWW she's still cutie wooty! Slowing down by now I suppose.

Yeah, I had the same thing happen. Broke it on 2-1 then rebroke it 6 weeks or so later, and the second time was much worse, I could not walk on it without screaming. It's called a Jones fracture and it is extremely hard to get healed. I may wind up having surgery for it with some pins put in. It may force me to retire much earlier than I wanted to. I was hoping to keep up the pace til my mid 70's or so, because my husband is showing no signs of wanting to retire.

Thanks much for the puppy wuppy update.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I have a friend who is a podiatrist, and he told me a while ago that the biggest problems in foot fractures (especially as we age) is the lack of blood circulation to the bones of the foot. He told me that some podiatirsts have used treatments that enhance this circulation (they do the same for diabetics); it might be worth considering seeing a podiatrist. I know many are just toenail clippers/bunion removers, but some (like my friend0 do fairly sophisiticated surgery (in hospital operating rooms and surgi centers) and might be able to provide some different insights. IMHO, ocncentrating on a particular part of the body (like the foot or the hand) might well give someone an expertise that a broader based orthopedist does not have (indeed, some of my friend's patients come via referrals of orthopedists).