coronavirus predictions

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Re: coronavirus predictions

Post by BoSoxGal »

I was just checking my math with higher sources because I’m notoriously bad at maths.

45* keeps citing the annual influenza deaths to justify reopening the economy on Easter; talk about someone who is really, really bad at maths.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I predict that the next big "hotspot" will soon be Florida; it may well be the next New York.

In Florida, you have a perfect storm of factors for a major coronavirus disaster:

1.A large elderly population
2.A youth population that has largely acted very irresponsibly regarding behavior likely to spread infection
3. An idiot Trumpist Governor who despite all the red flags has failed to impose a common sense shelter-in-place order.
ImageImageImage

RayThom

coronavirus predictions

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Apparently Louisiana is experiencing an incredible spike, on par with the numbers over in Italy - including a very high rate of infection in EMS workers leading to a shortage there that is critical. Fallout from Mardi Gras celebrations, is the belief. (To clarify, on par with the early trajectory in Italy - not current numbers from there.)

Americans, it turns out, aren’t nearly as community oriented (spirited?) as people in eastern countries. We are totally fucked.
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I run with a local volunteer fire company. We are on strict "protect yourself" protocols. PPE, stay with the trucks on EMS assists until we are specifically called inside the residence, etc.

Please stay in and stay safe, folks.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:06 am
I was just checking my math with higher sources because I’m notoriously bad at maths.

45* keeps citing the annual influenza deaths to justify reopening the economy on Easter; talk about someone who is really, really bad at maths.
I want Trump to be right (just as I want all the climate change deniers to be right - I want them someday to point to a decimal place error we've all missed) - but all the science and maths I have ever learned says he's wrong. The maths of an epidemic spread are not complicated -and if we can reduce the 'contagability factor' by (say) 50% we can reduce the spread by many times that. Everything we are doing reduces that factor but does not eliminate it. The graphs of the spread I have seen from NY and LA and FL in particular are frightening and there is no sign yet of abatement.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Our infection rate data is distorted by the fact we are testing very few people. In our data a confirmed case is nearly always a sick person so the much larger number of infected people is invisible.

Yrs
Rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

eddieq wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:11 pm
I run with a local volunteer fire company. We are on strict "protect yourself" protocols. PPE, stay with the trucks on EMS assists until we are specifically called inside the residence, etc.

Good on you mate, much respect.

Over here fireys are training to be back up ambulance drivers.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Gob wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:57 pm
eddieq wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:11 pm

Good on you mate, much respect.

Over here fireys are training to be back up ambulance drivers.
Many of our guys are trained/capable for ambulance driving. More than once we've been out on an "EMS Assist" where we showed up and they asked, "can someone drive so we can tend the patient? We are short handed tonight". My role is traffic control, so I don't often get involved with the hand-off of driving the ambo. I do get to drive our "Air" unit (cascade system for refilling the air tanks) as it does double-duty as a traffic unit.

FORTUNATELY, we've been very quiet the last couple of weeks. It seems more people are staying home and being more careful.

Darren

Post by Darren »

rubato wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 am
Our infection rate data is distorted by the fact we are testing very few people. In our data a confirmed case is nearly always a sick person so the much larger number of infected people is invisible.

Yrs
Rubato
I agree. The next few weeks should provide a better picture of where we stand,
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

If anyone wants to take a look at the maths behind these models, there's a great Numberphile video linked below. Numberphile have videos using mostly UK mathematicians explaining various concepts. You don't really need to have a lot of maths to like this video but if you have a little idea of calculus it helps. Well worth it. 22 minutes.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Not exactly predictions, but someone asked about death rates and this is an interesting site

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... eath-rate/
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Darren wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:17 pm
The next few weeks should provide a better picture of where we stand
Well Darren, there's something we can agree on... :ok
ImageImageImage

RayThom

coronavirus predictions

Post by RayThom »

I feel the best term to describe this pandemic in the USA is EXPONENTIAL.

So far it's merely the tip of the iceberg.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Darren

Post by Darren »

Lord Jim wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 am
Darren wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:17 pm
The next few weeks should provide a better picture of where we stand
Well Darren, there's something we can agree on... :ok
By then I think we will have turned the corner when the vast majority of people realize the virus isn't a death sentence. That's because an effective treatment will have been validated as it has been elsewhere.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Please provide a link to the published study that has validated this "effective treatment". Hint - anecdotal cases of something that may have killed as many or more people than it saved doesn't count.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Darren

Post by Darren »

Scooter wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:19 pm
Please provide a link to the published study that has validated this "effective treatment". Hint - anecdotal cases of something that may have killed as many or more people than it saved doesn't count.

This is a recent summary. Pick and choose as you wish ... or not.

The ongoing New York FDA accelerated trial should prove the treatment if the other reports are true. I'm thinking happy days will soon be here again. ;)

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/27/we- ... loroquine/

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

But a second study emerged last week from Shanghai University in China of 30 patients hospitalized for Covid-19. Whether patients received hydroxychloroquine or not, their body temperature returned to normal a day after hospitalization, and the time it took for levels of the virus to become undetectable was comparable. Unlike the study from France, the patients in this study were randomly assigned to either hydroxychloroquine or the control group, which makes the results more reliable.
Three statisticians published a review of the French study that argued that the way it was designed made the treatments look better than they actually are. They pointed to the lack of randomization, as well as an inappropriate control group composed partly of people who refused to take the drug. They also noted that the study dropped some patients from the analysis — the small study of 42 patients actually only included data from 36.
“The [French] study gave very little useful information about whether hydroxychloroquine might help,” Morris wrote. “The Shanghai study is better (because they had a meaningful control group) but gives us very little information that hydroxychloroquine doesn’t help.” The data, he wrote, are “compatible with a wide range of possible effects,” which is statistician-speak for, “Nobody knows whether the drug helps or not.”
As the title of the article you cite as evidence states:
Right now, we don’t know
I get that your need to swirl your tongue inside Trump's rectum requires you to be a cheerleader for his completely indefensible statement that hydroxychloroquine is a "gamechanger", but you should just resign yourself to the fact that you're talking out of your ass.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I get that your need to swirl your tongue inside Trump's rectum requires you to be a cheerleader for his completely indefensible statement that hydroxychloroquine is a "gamechanger", but you should just resign yourself to the fact that you're talking out of your ass.[/quote}

wouldn't that be talking into his ass?
Last edited by Crackpot on Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Crackpot wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:01 pm
{quote]I get that your need to swirl your tongue inside Trump's rectum requires you to be a cheerleader for his completely indefensible statement that hydroxychloroquine is a "gamechanger", but you should just resign yourself to the fact that you're talking out of your ass.

wouldn't that be talking into his ass?"{/quote}

Let's just say I never pass up a chance to drop a Butter Finger into the community pool. Perspectives and subsequent reactions may vary.