Put the car insurance on hiatus?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Long Run

Put the car insurance on hiatus?

Post by Long Run »

One of the financial winners in the current situation has to be auto insurers. Overall miles driven have to be half or less in many metropolitan areas, meaning half as many accidents. Plus, fewer cars on the road should mean fewer accidents per mile driven, so even more savings. We have two cars, one has not been out of the driveway in over three weeks, and the other gets the now normal "30 days to the gallon". Not expecting a rebate from my auto insurer, though. Considering cancelling and moth-balling for the time being the car with no lien -- could buy close to a case of good wine with the savings!

eddieq

Re: Put the car insurance on hiatus?

Post by eddieq »

Local news last night reported that one of the carriers was going to issue a rebate to its policy holders based on the lower amount of driving.

Ironically, I'm sitting here listening to my FD radio to vehicle accident with rescue two boroughs over.

rubato

Post by rubato »

CSAA You would be refunded the savings automatically.

(AAA of nor cal)

Yrs rubato

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Apparently Allstate is giving this to customers automatically, too. Got this email from them yesterday:
As we all work together to slow the spread of COVID-19, more of us are at home and driving less, which means having fewer accidents. That's why we are announcing a Shelter-in-Place Payback for our auto customers. And, since our lives have become more digital, we are providing free identity protection for the rest of the year.

Most auto customers will get an average payback of about 15% based on their monthly insurance costs during April and May. You can get your payback faster through the Allstate® mobile app.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Anyone else getting about 3 weeks per gallon?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Long Run wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:16 pm
Considering cancelling and moth-balling for the time being the car with no lien -- could buy close to a case of good wine with the savings!
You rode through the Covid in a car with no lien? That's America!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

It felt good to be out of the rain!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Long Run wrote:
Considering cancelling and moth-balling for the time being the car with no lien
Will your insurer even let you do that? Here in NJ, every car you own must be insured whether or not you're using it -- the only exception being if it is rendered completely inoperable.

To the extent auto insurance is a highly regulated and the carriers may need state approval for their rates, the companies offering rebates now are positioning and protecting themselves more than they are being magnanimous to policyholders. (In the case of mutual insurance companies, the "excess" revenue is rebated to policyholders as a matter of course.)
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

In Ohio with Nationwide (a mutual co.), it was possible to remove liability and collision from cars that were not being driven. Keeping Comp coverage only in case of fire, theft, etc. We had 3 vehicles - a beater truck, the minivan and my Nissan 300ZX which went into my barn every winter - Comp coverage only.

The law in Ohio only required liability coverage on vehicles in use and you could have liability-only policies. The authorities don't care in an at-fault state if you bend your own vehicle - it's damaging other people and their property that's to be covered.

Problem with two cars if you put one on Comp only is that you lose a multi-car discount. Reduces the savings quite a bit sometimes.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Sue U wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:45 pm
To the extent auto insurance is a highly regulated and the carriers may need state approval for their rates, the companies offering rebates now are positioning and protecting themselves more than they are being magnanimous to policyholders.
Exactamundo. I just got notice that I will get two months "refund" at 15% per month, even though our driving has dropped 95%. Window dressing.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Long Run wrote:
One of the financial winners in the current situation has to be auto insurers. Overall miles driven have to be half or less in many metropolitan areas, meaning half as many accidents. Plus, fewer cars on the road should mean fewer accidents per mile driven, so even more savings. We have two cars, one has not been out of the driveway in over three weeks, and the other gets the now normal "30 days to the gallon". Not expecting a rebate from my auto insurer, though. Considering cancelling and moth-balling for the time being the car with no lien -- could buy close to a case of good wine with the savings!
I've not bothered taxing or insuring Margo, our campervan, while this is ongoing. I cannot go anywhere in her, it is verboten, but I can use my car to go to the nearest supermarket, (12 miles away.)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”