If you want to self diagnose COVID-19 ...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Darren

If you want to self diagnose COVID-19 ...

Post by Darren »

Buy a pulse oximeter. Check your temperature and O2 levels. If you see a rise in temperature and concurrent dropping O2 levels below 94% you have a problem. Otherwise, based on the new information, you're still good to go.

As a disclosure: I'm not a doctor however "Doc" has reviewed this suggestion and approved it.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Scooter

Re: If you want to self diagnose COVID-19 ...

Post by Scooter »

A vet, you mean. Remind us again how many COVID-19 patients she has treated?

You have a lot of fucking nerve deigning to dispense any medical advice. You're not qualified to do so, and neither is your fuck puppet the dog groomer. Mostly everyone here would recognize that, but there are some among us moronic enough to believe you give credible advice just because you are a fellow Trumpanzee.
Last edited by Scooter on Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Darren wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:50 pm

As a disclosure: I'm not a doctor
Well shit, Darren - I wish you'd told us earlier.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Just in case you're wondering how much weirder Darren's postings could become ....

Well, here's a picture of Ozzy Osbourne licking peanut butter off of Annette Funicello's finger as an illustration.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Darren

Post by Darren »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:19 pm
Darren wrote:

As a disclosure: I'm not a doctor
Well shit, Darren - I wish you'd told us earlier.
I did. I disclosed my unrelated degrees along with Doc's who as a PhD in immuniopathology understands "bugs."

Immunopathology is a branch of medicine that deals with immune responses associated with disease. It includes the study of the pathology of an organism, organ system, or disease with respect to the immune system, immunity, and immune responses.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Practicing medicine without a license is not only unethical, it is recklessly dangerous. You should sit down and shut up Darren.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Darren

Post by Darren »

Guinevere wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:27 pm
Practicing medicine without a license is not only unethical, it is recklessly dangerous. You should sit down and shut up Darren.
Doc, who has taught at the graduate level, also has a masters degree in nursing and was certified as family nurse practitioner before she retired. As an MSN-FNP she owned a medical clinic in Oregon where she diagnosed and treated patients.

Back in the day when she went to school she was a pioneer in many respects for women. One of the reasons she went for the MSN is the university would not allow a woman to get three terminal (PhD level) degrees so med school was out.

As part of her clinic she also operated a CLIA certified lab. That's unheard of for a MSN-FNP and for doctors who rely on outside labs.

I've seen doctors responses during her VA visits when they learn her background. There's always a reaction when they learn in some respects she's more qualified than they are. The interesting part is they don't speak in laymanese.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well, sign her up for Plan B and she can offer diagnoses (after proving the qualifications). Meanwhile, you shouldn't be dispensing medical advice.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So all of that is just the long way of saying that she is completely NOT qualified to be diagnosing over the internet, and obviously neither are you.

Reckless. And dangerous.

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Darren wrote:
Buy a pulse oximeter. Check your temperature and O2 levels. If you see a rise in temperature and concurrent dropping O2 levels below 94% you have a problem....
If you have a fever and your oxygen levels are low, you would know you have a problem even without a thermometer or oximeter. That's when you call your doctor for advice. A fever and low oxygen levels are not exclusive to COVID-19.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:48 pm
Darren wrote:
Buy a pulse oximeter. Check your temperature and O2 levels. If you see a rise in temperature and concurrent dropping O2 levels below 94% you have a problem....
If you have a fever and your oxygen levels are low, you would know you have a problem even without a thermometer or oximeter. That's when you call your doctor for advice. A fever and low oxygen levels are not exclusive to COVID-19.
Given the outbreak you'd think doctors seeing someone presenting with what appears to be flu but doesn't display the signs of pneumonia immediately (crackling lungs sounds) would go further when finding low O2 levels.

"Some patients coming to the hospital have very low oxygen levels in their blood, but you wouldn’t necessarily know it from talking to them. They don’t seem starved of oxygen.They may be a little confused. But they aren’t struggling to breathe."

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020040 ... g-problems

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Darren wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:33 pm
Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:48 pm
Darren wrote:
Given the outbreak you'd think doctors seeing someone presenting with what appears to be flu but doesn't display the signs of pneumonia immediately (crackling lungs sounds) would go further when finding low O2 levels.

"Some patients coming to the hospital have very low oxygen levels in their blood, but you wouldn’t necessarily know it from talking to them. They don’t seem starved of oxygen.They may be a little confused. But they aren’t struggling to breathe."

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020040 ... g-problems
Which is rather the point Joe made - such people go to the doctor because they already damned-well know they have a problem without subjecting themselves to weird at-home lunatic-inspired "medical" testing. Thanks for confirming Catman's observation
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Darren

Post by Darren »

The key point is some are not experiencing breathing difficulty but are still presenting with O2 levels less than 94%. They may have other symptoms that prompted going to the doctor.

I have friends that had unusual symptoms last year and early this year that never went to a doctor. They were all sick for an extended period of weeks. Hopefully the survey in California will pin down the arrival date of the virus.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Darren wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:21 pm
They may have other symptoms that prompted going to the doctor.
No, not they "may have" - they "did". You said so yourself: "Some patients coming to the hospital...." Which supports what Joe said.

See? They came to the hospital. It's not "may have" other symptoms - they HAD other symptoms so they turned to doctors and not social media barflies.

Where were you with your pulse oximeter when your friends had symptoms and were sick for weeks and the stupid d-bags didn't go to the doctor? You "may have" helped them.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The key point is that everyone either experienced other symptoms that brought them to a doctor, or never got sick enough to need to see one, and they figured that out all on their own without the need for you to purport to diagnose them over the internet.

-- Author unknown

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Darren wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:21 pm
They may have other symptoms that prompted going to the doctor.
No, not they "may have" - they "did". You said so yourself: "Some patients coming to the hospital...." Which supports what Joe said.

See? They came to the hospital. It's not "may have" other symptoms - they HAD other symptoms so they turned to doctors and not social media barflies.

Where were you with your pulse oximeter when your friends had symptoms and were sick for weeks and the stupid d-bags didn't go to the doctor? You "may have" helped them.
Doc has an extremely complicated medical history due to her incarceration with her family in a Japanese concentration camp in the Philippines during WWII and her work as a veterinarian. Her list of past diseases includes everything from rabies, parrot fever, brucelosis, etc. to several autoimmune issues.

The VA doctors have difficulty getting their minds around the implications of that history.

We monitor vitals including blood sugar several times a day to pick up on any possible trend.

I only recently found out about friends' sicknesses once the coronavirus became a media fixation. Now reports of an unusual illness last year are becoming commonplace. That's why the California survey is important. It may explain why the models have failed.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Darren wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:55 pm

I only recently found out about friends' sicknesses once the coronavirus became a media fixation. Now reports of an unusual illness last year are becoming commonplace.
Yeah, that's how pit bull attack reports work as well. Like London buses, reports travel in packs

Darren

Post by Darren »

The woman who had the virus detailed how her symptoms started. First was the severe headache. If you don't normally get severe headaches, that's something to look for. I never have dry coughs. That's something else to watch for.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

once the coronavirus became a media fixation.
Just how big a callous, empathy-free misanthrope does one have to be to characterize a virus killing thousands of his fellow citizens as a "media fixation"? :loon :shrug

You really are a chip off the old Trump block Darren...
ImageImageImage

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Don't those talking heads on the News have anything better to report than thousands of people dying and hundreds of thousands of people around the globe getting sick from a new virus that has no cure and can easily infect you?

You'd think they'd spend more time on subjects like the fact that millions of people's lives were saved by Trump's delayed reaction to a pandemic.