China has a problem and it's not the Wuhan flu.

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Darren

Re: China has a problem and it's not the Wuhan flu.

Post by Darren »

Mark Green (R-Tenn.) is introducing legislation in Congress.

"In his letter, Green said the country should temporarily allow American companies that move back from China to expense 100 percent of moving costs."
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Here's a list of companies that may move back from China:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:27 am
Here's a list of companies that may move back from China:
I wouldn't be surprised if the pharmaceutical companies are looking at India. They've really stepped up hydroxychoroquine production.

Given the issues between India and China, India hasn't participated in the belt and road initiative. That has hurt the development of transportation infrastructure which hasn't helped manufacturing. That should be a priority for India.

Walmart had a program where they sought out and encouraged US small businesses. That was featured in their monthly magazine.

With the ban on Chinese equipment in electric utilities that will have to come from someplace else. I expect similar bans in other business segments.

Our large step up transformers at power plants already come from Canada. Large generators have been sourced from Germany. The forgings for generator and steam turbine shafts have come from Austria.

With more regulatory changes on the horizon that may encourage the return of durable goods manufacturing in the US.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Darren wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:47 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the pharmaceutical companies are looking at India. They've really stepped up hydroxychoroquine production.
I hadn't heard that there had been a sudden increase in the incidence of malaria.

Unless of course hydroxychoroquine is not the same as hydroxychloroquine.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Let me get this straight (as the actress said to the bishop) . . .

To support a quack bill designed to suck up to Trumpanzees by pretending to encourage US companies to quit China, Darren is citing: Big Pharma might go to India, we're already buying from Canada, Germany and Austria, and er . . . that's it.

Compelling argument there, Darren. Should change your name to Deflection. :roll:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Re Mark Geen (R-Tenn) - he's a member of the notorious West Point Class of '86 along with his buddies Pompeo and Esper.

Green lies a lot, which is usually frowned on by West Point. The Washington Times (!!!!!) told us that.

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:47 pm
Let me get this straight (as the actress said to the bishop) . . .

To support a quack bill designed to suck up to Trumpanzees by pretending to encourage US companies to quit China, Darren is citing: Big Pharma might go to India, we're already buying from Canada, Germany and Austria, and er . . . that's it.

Compelling argument there, Darren. Should change your name to Deflection. :roll:
I'm trying to look at all the factors that will remove manufacturing from China. That process already started to the benefit of southeastern Asian countries before Japan earmarked billions to relocate businesses from China.

We've haven't seen results yet from recent regulatory changes that will encourage the return of heavy manufacturing like foundry work to the US. That's why I mentioned the forgings that were previously made in the US but are sourced from Austria.

If turbine and rotor cores can be forged in Austria why not the US? What's different about the regulatory process between the US and Austria?

From personal observation when a large generator rotor is twisted by a freak occurrence it's a bitch when it can't be balanced onsite and you have to ship the rotor back to Germany for repair.

The issue with main transformers happened when Westinghouse disintegrated and pieces were sold off. The Muncie plant didn't last long before the manufacturing was relocated to Canada.

The "quack" bill is along the same lines as the Japanese effort. You can quack all you want, China has a problem.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Why did companies "move" to China etc? Because US workers want too much money; over regulation by government; too much medical insurance; too much paid leave; too much time off for pregnancy and so on and so on.

I'll not argue whether (or indeed if) any of the above are good or bad. Point is that capital flows to the cheapest means of production and the produce flows to place where prices are highest. Hence, goods manufactured overseas and sold here. That's the simplistic generalization but it's true enough to be useful, particularly in consumer products. I don't think there's any reason to suppose that manufacturing a TV in the USA will generate sufficient profit to displace a Korean or Japanese import. No USA worker is going to make cheaper shuttlecocks than the Chinese. And so on

Darren

Post by Darren »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:39 pm
Darren wrote:

I hadn't heard that there had been a sudden increase in the incidence of malaria.

Unlike the media induced hysteria here, you don't have the same where Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) isn't prevalent, The drug is being used to treat COVID-19 in other countries. It's also being used here far more than the media wants you to know

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

It's also being used here far more than the media wants you to know
I'm curious how you know this, if the all-powerful media do not want you to know. Have you done your own survey of hospitals and their treatment techniques? Oh I forgot you have your own Doc who tells you things.

Seriously Darren: if she tells you to just drink this little cup of Lysol-ade, just a few spoonsful, you'll be fine, our President said it's OK - DON'T. You can thank me later.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I caught the darkness, it was drinking from your cup
I caught the darkness drinking from your cup
I said is this contagious?
You said just drink it up.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

India already manufactures loads of pharmaceuticals for the western market, including the USA.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:06 pm
India already manufactures loads of pharmaceuticals for the western market, including the USA.
That and the fact that India has always been a democracy since its founding makes it a candidate for relocating pharmaceutical production. Add that they dropped their initial embargo of hydrochlroquine and that makes them even more attractive.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Cold war with China?

"China appears headed for another showdown with the United States, over reported plans to establish an air defence identification zone (ADIZ) in the South China Sea.

An ADIZ is a zone that stretches beyond a country's airspace, in which foreign aircraft are required to submit flight plans and identify themselves in the interests of national security.

The Taiwan News claims China now plans its own ADIZ, which is likely to bring the nation into conflict with the US, who move navy ships through the area.
In 2013, China announced it was setting up an ADIZ in the East China Sea, causing fallout with Australia after then-Foreign Minister Julie Bishop criticised the move.

China said at the time the ADIZ allowed it to direct air traffic over an area also claimed by Japan and Taiwan, although it has reportedly not enforced the ADIZ in the years since."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/mi ... r-BB13FDtL

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Darren wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:42 pm
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:39 pm
Darren wrote:

Unlike the media induced hysteria here, you don't have the same where Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) isn't prevalent, The drug is being used to treat COVID-19 in other countries. It's also being used here far more than the media wants you to know
I've been treating myself with frequent, low-level dosages of ethanol.  That seems to be working too.  And the best part is, it's relatively inexpensive and very readily available!
Maybe you should start touting that remedy instead of malaria pills.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

That and the fact that India has always been a democracy
Thanks for the chuckle

Darren

Post by Darren »

Darren wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:35 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:06 pm
That and the fact that India has always been a democracy since its founding makes it a candidate for relocating pharmaceutical production. Add that they dropped their initial embargo of hydroxychlroquine and that makes them even more attractive.

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:37 am
That and the fact that India has always been a democracy
Thanks for the chuckle
Since its independence.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Gosh, you're good! The correction is even more hilarious! Keep 'em comin'
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darren

Post by Darren »

"The United States Navy has deployed two patrol ships to the disputed South China Sea where China and Malaysia have competing claims over a maritime region known to have valuable resources.

American officials said on Friday that the littoral combat ship USS Montgomery and the replenishment ship USNS Cesar Chavez were sent to conduct a ‘presence operation’ in the South China Sea near a Panamanian-flagged drill ship West Capella.

The move sends a strong message to Chinese ships, which have reportedly spent weeks harassing the commercial vessel. "