Amazon or Walmart?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all

Amazon or Walmart?

Amazon
60%
Walmart
20%
No company will ever earn that much revenue.
20%

Total votes: 5

Darren

Amazon or Walmart?

Post by Darren »

Which company will be the first to exceed a trillion dollars in revenue?
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Amazon or Walmart?

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Darren

Post by Darren »

In your face evidence of the corporatocracy.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

,The answer is that neither will approach that figure in sales for many decades, if ever.
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Walmart sales were $510 billion in 2019 and $493 billion in 2018. So they had a trillion in sales in just those two years.

They probably reached the $1 trillion since inception sometime in the mid to late 1990s.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Darren wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:30 pm
No, I meant who cares about your stupid poll. Reminds me of radio call-in programs in which Joe Beersuds and his pals are invited to opine whether the Browns should draft X, Y or Z. Doesn't make a damn difference to the Browns.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:50 pm
Darren wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:30 pm
No, I meant who cares about your stupid poll. Reminds me of radio call-in programs in which Joe Beersuds and his pals are invited to opine whether the Browns should draft X, Y or Z. Doesn't make a damn difference to the Browns.
As expected. Carry on. You've been helpful.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Darren wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:25 pm
Which company will be the first to exceed a trillion dollars in revenue per year?

Darren

Post by Darren »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:19 pm
Walmart sales were $510 billion in 2019 and $493 billion in 2018. So they had a trillion in sales in just those two years.

They probably reached the $1 trillion since inception sometime in the mid to late 1990s.
I went back and revised the question to read "per year". It seems the enamorment may be more widespread than thought.

dales

Post by dales »

WGAF?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Darren

Post by Darren »

dales wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:40 pm
WGAF?
It depends on your age or perspicacity. Lacking either, years or perspicacity, you are correct.

BTW, you passed.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Either way...ugh. Walmart is just a frightening experience at times. People go in various states of ill thought out clothing choices. OTOH a lot of people shop Amazon in the nakeds.

RayThom

Amazon or Walmart?

Post by RayThom »

Darren wrote:
Darren, I'm going off the board and take a wild stab. I think it will be Kylie Cosmetics.

What do you think?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Darren

Post by Darren »

RayThom wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:36 pm
Darren wrote:
Darren, I'm going off the board and take a wild stab. I think it will be Kylie Cosmetics.

What do you think?
Walmart is not a Wall Street darling like Amazon. I find it interesting because until taking the class Factor Analysis I never knew how intrusive marketing was. Walmart is a classic in many aspects that keeps on paying dividends and growing. Unlike the Sears & Roebucks of old, Walmart is evolving quickly. Loser locations and ideas get cut loose fast.

In many ways Walmart is the counterpart of Trump. If you understand why Walmart is successful, you'll understand why Trump is a phenomenon.

Darren

Amazon ain't so amazin

Post by Darren »

"Tim Bray, a veteran technologist and one of Amazon’s top engineers, resigned from what he called “the best job I’ve ever had” to protest the company’s dismissal of two leaders of an employee climate group who had spoken out about treatment of warehouse workers.

He described the firings as “evidence of a vein of toxicity running through the company culture. I choose neither to serve nor drink that poison.”

“I quit in dismay at Amazon firing whistleblowers who were making noise about warehouse employees frightened of COVID-19,” Bray said in a post on his personal blog late Sunday, noting he was walking away from over $1 million in pretax income and stock, and from valued colleagues.

Bray, a vice president and distinguished engineer, objected to the terminations of Maren Costa and Emily Cunningham, leaders of Amazon Employees for Climate Justice (AECJ), on April 10, as well as of warehouse workers who have organized walkouts. Bray was the highest ranked of more than 8,700 Amazon employees to sign an AECJ letter in spring of 2019 urging CEO Jeff Bezos and Amazon’s board of directors to take the lead on climate change. His climate activism includes protesting the Trans Mountain pipeline project, for which he was arrested in 2018."

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/a ... YFwBr8Ad-4

rubato

Post by rubato »

What interests you is of no matter to anyone else.

Darren

Post by Darren »

rubato wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:11 am
What interests you is of no matter to anyone else.
Anyone else as in everyone here at PlanB? Thank you for that insightful message. You're helping me fill in some aspects of prejudice and addiction. Addictions/habits are stored in the amygdala. You have no conscious control of them.

The group here is similar to the pregnant women that Target searched for and found before the women knew they were pregnant. That was the teaser in the review of a book. How the mathematician used the data to pinpoint them was never revealed. I have a clue given the reactions here.

People are most likely to change aspects of their lives when they transition through life changing events. Those include birth of a child, marriage, divorce, death and obviously the election of Donald Trump.

Impersonal events like that were not identified in the book.

Going back to Walmart, the company has used the mediademic to gain customers that probably shopped elsewhere before. What they've done is comparable to Target.

I doubt they planned it out as Target did when they identified a group, pregnant women, and then sought to exploit them.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Darren wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:19 am
The group here is similar to the pregnant women that Target searched for and found before the women knew they were pregnant.
You are such a rube! Do you get anything right?
Big Data: How Target Knows You Are Pregnant

Consider the following scenario: in the past month Susan, a 20-something female shopper, purchased a large container of unscented lotion, an assortment of supplements such as zinc and calcium and a large purse from Target. As a result, Target can make the educated assumption that she is pregnant with an expected delivery date 5 months from today. Sound unbelievable? In reality, it’s not. Our hypothetical situation is exactly what’s happening.
See - the women knew they were pregnant and started buying pregnanty things. Target spots their buying behavior IN TARGET STORES and "predicts" how far along they are by what they purchased. Then they can target (ahahaha) ads and coupons to those persons using store ID numbers assigned to their addresses, credit cards and email addresses.

More here:
https://yukaichou.com/loyalty/big-data- ... -pregnant/

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:19 pm
Darren wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:19 am
The group here is similar to the pregnant women that Target searched for and found before the women knew they were pregnant.
You are such a rube! Do you get anything right?
Big Data: How Target Knows You Are Pregnant

Consider the following scenario: in the past month Susan, a 20-something female shopper, purchased a large container of unscented lotion, an assortment of supplements such as zinc and calcium and a large purse from Target. As a result, Target can make the educated assumption that she is pregnant with an expected delivery date 5 months from today. Sound unbelievable? In reality, it’s not. Our hypothetical situation is exactly what’s happening.
See - the women knew they were pregnant and started buying pregnanty things. Target spots their buying behavior IN TARGET STORES and "predicts" how far along they are by what they purchased. Then they can target (ahahaha) ads and coupons to those persons using store ID numbers assigned to their addresses, credit cards and email addresses.

More here:
https://yukaichou.com/loyalty/big-data- ... -pregnant/
The chapter on Target acknowledged some of the women knew they were pregnant. Those were easy to pick out. You're focusing on the obvious. Target was also looking for that which wasn't obvious, women who didn't know they were pregnant, which was also discussed in the chapter. The key is that Target was marketing to women to not only keep them as loyal customers but also pickup customers that did not normally shop at Target.

Data warehousing is ubiquitous. A company can buy any data wants. Do you use a store card for discounts or other incentives? That data is bought and and sold. It's not difficult to aggregate that data for a company. The data exchange in some cases is instant. Look at something via a Google search and watch the ad feeds you get. That can be accessed later by any company.

Sign up for email notifications? Another data point. Credit card purchases? Yep! The data is sold. Debit card purchases? Maybe sold, maybe not depending on the bank.

Back to women that were pregnant and also current Target shoppers, advertising is also designed to prevent buyer's remorse. That's not an exact description of the aim of Target's coupons. It was an acknowledgment of the potential for the women to jump ship during a stressful time in their lives.

The women could unconsciously decide another retailer was a better place to shop.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bullshit
Identify these women who didn't know they were pregnant but Target did