LAWBREAKERS - CA WELCOMES YOU!

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
dales

Post by dales »

Man arrested 3 times in 1 day under CA's coronavirus-based zero-bail policy

Officers in Los Angeles County arrested and released a suspect three times in one day after he was repeatedly let go based on the zero-bail policy that California has put into effect due to the coronavirus pandemic, police said.

The policy is intended to keep the jail population lower due to COVID-19 concerns, officials say.
On Wednesday, officers responded to a call of a man attempting to break into a vehicle in the city of Glendora, in the San Gabriel Valley. According to the police, Dijon Landrum, 24, was allegedly attempting to drive away in the stolen vehicle.
Landrum was arrested, issued a citation and released, officers said.

About an hour after Landrum was released, the department said it received a call about a man allegedly taking items from residences' front yards. The responding officers allegedly found Landrum at the scene in possession of stolen items.
The officers issued Landrum a citation and recovered the property.

Later that night, a car was reported stolen out of a parking lot. Glendora officers tracked the car on the freeway in nearby La Puente, and the Los Angeles County Sheriffs and California Highway Patrol pursued the vehicle.

Landrum was arrested in Pasadena for alleged possession of a stolen vehicle and for evading officers. He was issued a citation and released for the third time that day, police said.

In early April, California's Judicial Council temporarily set bail at zero for most misdemeanors and lower-level felonies to reduce jail populations and limit the spread of COVID-19 during the coronavirus pandemic. Glendora Police Department officials said they were acting in accordance with the policy.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Lawbreakers - CA welcomes you!

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Don't SHOUT
Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Mon May 04, 2020 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

dales

Re: LAWBREAKERS - CA WELCOMES YOU!

Post by dales »

Nobody got shot.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Since when is car theft, even if it was thwarted, and theft of property, even if the property was recovered, merely 'citation level' offenses?  That's usually reserved for things like traffic offenses, disorderly conduct, underage drinking, and other misdemeanors.  And even then, if these were 'lower-level felonies' and he was released without posting a bond (under his own recognizance, as it were), don't most bonds include the proviso to commit no further offenses while on release?

After three strikes, he should not be 'out' but 'in' — as in, in jail, threat of contracting the virus be damned.  Period.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Who’s on first?

dales

Post by dales »

I dunno, third base.

yrs,
rubato

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

What?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It always sickens me to see people equate property with life. The notion that someone who steals lawn ornaments or even cars should be imprisoned and possibly exposed to a potentially fatal disease in the midst of a pandemic - with the potential to bring that disease back out into the community when bailed - is just plain stupidity.

And generally the same people don't even blink when white collar alleged criminals accused of thefts of massively larger value property are released to lounge in their penthouses or private estates pending trial.

The brainwashing is pretty profoundly effective, indeed.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

No penalty for crime = more crime. Experiment has been repeated a number of times.

And the penalty is not an either/or choice of let a criminal free to steal whatever he wants or lock him up in a virus infested prison to die of the disease.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Nobody is saying there won’t be penalties for crime - it is about bail policies. This guy isn’t getting a pass on facing charges. Straw man in the extreme.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Some people are unable to understand anything outside of immediate consequences
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:54 pm
Nobody is saying there won’t be penalties for crime - it is about bail policies. This guy isn’t getting a pass on facing charges. Straw man in the extreme.
However, this nasty ne'er-do-well does get a pass to continue his one man crime spree.

If he kills someone while out on bail who will be at fault, who will take the blame?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

It's a crime against language
According to the police, Dijon Landrum, 24, was allegedly attempting to drive away in the stolen vehicle
No. According to police, that is what he was doing. Or it may be that police alleged he was doing so. But they didn't allege it according to themselves.

And the 911 call didn't say a man was allegedly stealing things but that he was stealing things.

And the fuzz didn't allegedly find him - they did find him. Allegedly in possession of stolen goods.

And he wasn't arrested for allegedly driving a stolen vehicle - but for actually driving one. That is the allegation. That he was actually so doing.

Moron journos
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The suspect — Dijon Landrum

Curious, isn't it — with a name like 'Dijon', I would have sworn he would be a Frenchman.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Who says he isn’t? What a racist piece of twaddle - I suppose you think all frenchmen look like Maurice Chevalier. :arg :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

How does that saying go again?  "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck .... "
-"BB"-

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

All persons are allegedly considered innocent until proven guilty -- allegedly.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:17 pm
Curious, isn't it — with a name like 'Dijon', I would have sworn he would be a Frenchman.
I would have expected him to be a seasoned gentleman.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

RayThom wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:01 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:54 pm
However, this nasty ne'er-do-well does get a pass to continue his one man crime spree.

If he kills someone while out on bail who will be at fault, who will take the blame?
Anybody who has the means to post bail poses a theoretical risk to the community - but there are very limited circumstances under which an opportunity to bail is not provided, because we have a bill of rights and a presumption of innocence. Bail opportunity is always provided subject to conditions and a risk assessment by the court - and the court simply does not weigh crimes against property the same as crimes against persons. A car thief does not a murderer make.

Extensive studies of data have been conducted and show that easing the cash bail system is generally a very positive thing for the community and system as a whole. It is very easy to pluck one of the minority cases out of that bunch and blow it up all over the news and pretend it is a crisis when it very much is not. Sheeple are easily played.

The regressive thinking here is sometimes really alarming.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:52 pm
... The regressive thinking here is sometimes really alarming.
But this clown is a proven serial offender who clearly demonstrates his total disregard for life and limb. It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.

Misdemeanor now... pay later.