Since When Is It Discrimitory For An MD To Learn English?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
dales

Since When Is It Discrimitory For An MD To Learn English?

Post by dales »

Hungarian doctor who left boy 'catastrophically' injured due to poor English says being forced to learn is discrimination
John Fitzpatrick

The TelegraphMay 8, 2020, 9:02 AM PDT

Dr Gyorgy Rakoczy left boy with 'catastrophic' internal injuries after he misread label while injecting him with acid - Manchester Evening News Syndication

A Hungarian doctor who injected a four-year-old with a potentially lethal dose of acid because he could not read the label has claimed a requirement to learn English at his age is discrimination.

Dr Gyorgy Rakoczy, 65, argued that he was being put at a disadvantage because older people find it harder to learn new languages.

The consultant paediatric surgeon was initially suspended in 2012 after he wrongly injected the unnamed boy with a potentially lethal amount of carbolic acid when he misread a label in an incident three years earlier.
The boy was left with 'catastrophic' internal injuries and required a colostomy bag, having originally been admitted for a suspected haemorrhoid.

He required over 30 corrective operations, including the removal of a section of his bowel.
Despite the incident, Rakoczy returned to work at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital but he later failed English language tests in reading, writing, listening and speaking and was reported to the General Medical Council over concerns about his grasp of the language.

At a Medical Practitioners Tribunal in 2019 he was placed under conditional registration for a year and told to successfully complete an English language assessment course.

But at a review hearing, having still not passed a test, Dr Rakoczy argued it is harder for people aged 60 and over to pass language exams and said he was being discriminated against.
The doctor took another test earlier this year, but again did not pass bringing the total of failed tests to six, the panel heard.

And he had given up attending English lessons, potentially putting patients at risk.
"(He) has taken and failed English tests six times, by two different examining bodies, on his own evidence," the panel concluded. "Dr Rakoczy has consistently asserted that his age is a contributing factor in his failure to pass the English language tests.

"He has complained to the GMC and to this effect. Neither this Tribunal nor the previous Tribunal found this submission persuasive.
"To be clear, this Tribunal does not consider that a doctor's age is an acceptable reason for being allowed to practise unrestricted without the requisite skills in the English Language.

"Dr Rakoczy stopped his English studies until just before his most recent failed attempt to pass (the test), yet he still asserted that he should be allowed to practise without any restriction.

"It was of the view that a lack of English language skills at the required standard could present a risk to patient safety.
"Further, the Tribunal considered that an ordinary and well informed member of the public would be surprised to learn that a doctor who had failed the English language tests had not been found to be impaired. "

The tribunal determined that Dr Rakoczy fitness to practice is still impaired due to his lack of knowledge of the English language but allowed him to continue to work with conditions for 12 months.
WTF?

Is The NHS really that dense?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Re: Since When Is It Discrimitory For An MD To Learn English?

Post by Gob »

This is the UK mate, "discrimination" is a get out of jail fee card.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Darren

Post by Darren »

Doc doesn't suffer medical incompetence. While all of the doctors in the VA speak English, even if it's hard to understand, it would be nice if they kept up in their specialty.

The Nigerian nurse who thought clear liquids meant water only is another story.

Of all of Doc's doctors the best one is a Black endocrinologist. You can tell she's actually listening and thinking about what she's hearing unlike many of the others. She doesn't respond immediately at times but tilts her head back into her thinking position, pauses, then speaks.

She also spends time outside of the visit looking at sources for more info on the issue. She's also very responsive via the internal messaging system for vets. Other doctors not so much.

I've had an urge to "manipulate" my primary doctor when I know he's blowing something off with a quick off the top of his head answer. You've already read my appendix story.

I'd be interested in a comparison study of the competence of doctors in government service vs. those in a public hospital setting. I wonder how the Hungarian would do in the US. I have no doubt the VA would hire him.
Last edited by Darren on Sat May 09, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Absolutely outrageous.
ImageImageImage

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

It is kind of surprising that a European MD got that far in life not speaking and at least reading English. It would be necessary to keep up with research and continuing education I should think.

Still in every professional situation, be it a doctor or a lawyer and so forth, there is always someone who graduated last in their class and passed the boards or bar by one point.

dales

Post by dales »

Gob wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:39 am
This is the UK mate, "discrimination" is a get out of jail fee card.
Got it - there are times when I'm spelling-challenged.

It's Trump's fault!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato