Memorable people you've met?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Darren

Re: Memorable people you've met?

Post by Darren »

Our chief on board the destroyer was a Filipino. That was extremely unusual in an era when Filipinos were stewards/servants of the officers. He was also the the tech for our long range radar the AN/SPS 40 radar. The radar cabinets looked like three flattened, from front to back, refrigerator sized boxes.

Destroyers are notorious for rolling and pitching. Chief was working on the radar during a rough day, puke bucket by his side. Work and puke, work and puke, puke and work. Sea sickness drains you. It doesn't take long before puking isn't producing anything and you still feel bad,

Another time he brought me the thickest ham sandwich I've ever seen when I missed lunch and supper because I was working in a radio space that didn't have a speaker and missed the mess calls. I hope he's still enjoying his retirement from the Navy.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Darren

Post by Darren »

Dan was an ETR2. Electronic techs were either radio techs (N) or radar and non radio techs (R). That was up through E-5. Dan was responsible for the identification friend or foe gear (IIF) which determined the status of aircraft and the surface radar.

Dan was memorable for his Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde personality change when he drank. You only went on liberty once with Dan. Dan would ask all of us in the berthing compartment who wanted to go ashore with him. The response was go ahead we'll catch up later.

I don't know how many mirrors Dan paid for in bars. I do know if any of us walked into a bar and Dan was there and the mirror was intact, we did an about face and walked out.

I'm still in touch with Dan. He gave up drinking after getting out and resuming his life as a civilian.

RayThom

Memorable people you've met?

Post by RayThom »

Darren wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:15 pm
... While conning during a refueling, Arizona brought the ship in so close...
Darren, did you serve on a navy ship, or a merchant ship?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

He mentioned a couple of times that this was on a destroyer.

I dunno. Are there merchant destroyers?

(If there are, I want to take one to WalMart.)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Darren

Post by Darren »

RayThom wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:06 am
Darren wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:15 pm
... While conning during a refueling, Arizona brought the ship in so close...
Darren, did you serve on a navy ship, or a merchant ship?
It was an Adams class destroyer, Ray.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Sad to see that Phil Bennett (Gob's dad's drinking buddy - see his post earlier in this thread) has died. Only 73. The early 70s Welsh rugby team had a fierce determination and a wonderful style of play which has probably not been equalled since and Phil Bennett was at the center of that. He wasn't a big guy but he was fast and could slide away from a tackle. He started what is often called the greatest try (= touchdown for you American 'football' fans) ever for the Barbarians (UK national team) against the All-Blacks (New Zealand) in 1973.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbwSx-xw_NU

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Just this week I got a birthday card from the 1981 Nobel Peace prize winner. Looking back at this thread, I wonder just why Ray was so ticked off at Darren?

snailgate.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BP--your post reminded me of probably the most memorable person I met, dual Nobel Laureate (Chemistry and Peace) Linus Pauling. He was giving the commencement speech at my alma mater (I think in 1975 or 1976) and was well in his 70s. Being a chem (actually biochem) major, I went to watch and stood near the bottom of the dais. When the outdoor ceremony got too long for him (apparently) he got up to leave and caught the sleeve of his gown on the banister, stumbling down about 5 or 6 stairs; I was right near the bottom and caught him before, no injury to either of us. Before he was whisked away to his car he shook my hand and thanked me, and made a joke about me having taken my Vitamin C that morning (at the end of his life he became a big proponent of vitamin C to retard aging and improve health). He was always a bit of a hero of mine, from his work on chemical bonds and subatomic structure to the work he did to get above ground nuclear testing ended, and I always thought it funny that I caught him that day