Dubbing

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Dubbing

Post by BoSoxGal »

I can’t stand it, it drives me to utter distraction to hear an American (usually) accented voice playing out of sync over the visual track of a German (or other nationality) actor, especially as most often the voice sounds nothing like what you’d expect to hear from a person with that stature and face, etc.

I LOATHE DUBBING!

So I’m very glad that with many of these new international original video choices, Netflix gives you the option to watch it dubbed if you’re a lazy fucker with no sense of aesthetics, or to hear the original voice track with subtitles in your language of choice out of a handful of options.

Netflix even offers audio description in some cases, which is very fucking cool of them to do for the visually impaired.

Anyway, someone told me to check out Dark on Netflix, it’s a moody German miniseries that is probably right up my alley but I almost shut it off after the first scene that was set to default dubbing in American English. Found the controls, got it back into regular mode and now I can enjoy it while immersed in German - I might even start understanding without the subtitles as my 6 years of German language study emerges from the cobwebbed corners of my brain.

Does anybody like dubbing? (Apologies in advanced for calling you a lazy fucker with no sense of aesthetics.)
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Tue May 26, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Re: Dubbing

Post by dales »

I'm a sub-title man myself.

Dubbing if done right can work to a degree, the problem is it is rarely or ever done right.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

RayThom

Flubbing

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It was fantastically well-executed and one of the most memorable classic movie scenes of all time but unfortunately even the dog's vocal dubbing was poorly done.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

They used this successfully on "The Shining"

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

I can’t stand it, it drives me to utter distraction to hear an American (usually) accented voice playing out of sync over the visual track of a German (or other nationality) actor
Agreed 100%
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Darren

Post by Darren »

I like subtitles. I'll turn those on even if the language is English. The dubbing miscues have to be severe for me to notice.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Depends on what I’m watching anime I usually prefer Dubs live action I prefer subtitles a lot of it has to do with how well the dub was done.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

The premise of this thread is dubious.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Indubitably so.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Dubbing

Post by RayThom »

I dubble that.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

dales

Post by dales »

A little dab will do ya!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

How about high-speed dubbing? Quality may suffer a bit...
r20200527_210513.jpg
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

We've been watching Scott & Bailey, recommended here, on Netflix. We find it amusing that the show has subtitles, which are spelled out in British English. Hey, if you're going to provide subtitles for 'Muricans to read, at least show them in 'Murican English. Some of the slanguage really doesn't translate well.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Gob

Post by Gob »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 pm
We've been watching Scott & Bailey, recommended here, on Netflix. We find it amusing that the show has subtitles, which are spelled out in British English.
Two points.

1) Subtitles, seriously?

2) "British" English? There is English English, and no other sort.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

If LJ were here I think he would remind you that you Brits lost the war over 240 years ago, and it’s time to get over it. :mrgreen:

Also, having watched parts of the Rebus series, there is plenty of different kinds of “english” on your island alone. Not all of which comport with your rule.

As for dubbing, I generally won’t watch dubbed films, with some exceptions.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Guinevere wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:00 am

Also, having watched parts of the Rebus series, there is plenty of different kinds of “english” on your island alone. Not all of which comport with your rule.
Nope, there is English, there are also regional dialects and accents of English. But English remains English, until it becomes so corrupted it becomes another language.

God only knows what your country will have done to poor Ken Stott to make him understandable!!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I watch most TV with CC on because my hearing isn't what it used to be thanks to my youthful enjoyment of music. CC helps me not miss what's being said in the quieter tones. It is also tremendously helpful when I'm watching U.K. programming especially Irish, Scottish, Welsh where some of the accents are quite difficult for my untrained ear to decipher. As a for instance; I went to see the excellent film Bloody Sunday at an art house theatre years ago, but missed easily 75% of the dialogue. It was a joy to rewatch it years later with CC on. I'm also by nature a visual learner - I took copius notes in college not so much to look at them again later but because the act of seeing key concepts written out drilled them into my brain - this is why I'm not a great fan of audio books, they just don't sink in the same as words digested by my eyes.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

English is english, with some distinctions in usage and spelling and colloquial phrasing between English-speaking countries.

I think we're really talking accents and colloquialisms which are pretty wide ranging just within the USA; many Midwestern Americans would struggle to understand a downeast Maine fisherman in conversation, because some of them sound more like someone from Cornwall than someone from Cleveland.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Dubbing

Post by RayThom »

English language?

You be the judge.