White Caller Crime

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Scooter

White Caller Crime

Post by Scooter »

Another racist Karen calling the police on a black man who had committed no crime and who represented no threat to her whatsoever. You really need to watch the video and see what a calculating and manipulative bitch that she is, repeatedly referencing his race and raising the volume and pitch and level of panic in her voice each time she repeats the false accusation that he was threatening her life. She knew that she was putting this man's life in danger by provoking the police to respond loaded for bear, and she knew to provoke that response because he was black.

And just the way she was repeatedly strangulating the dog by lifting it off the ground by the collar, what a psychotic cunt.

She and her employer were publicly identified, and apparently she has since been fired. That's a good start. What needs to happen next is her arrest and prosecution to the fullest extent for making a false report.
Central Park Confrontation Goes Viral, as White Woman Calls Cops on Black Man Over Dog Leash

A white woman called the NYPD and accused a black man of threatening her and her dog after an exchange that started when the man asked the woman to leash her dog in Central Park.

Christian Cooper captured part of the exchange in a now-viral video that was posted to Twitter by his sister. The woman, later identified as Amy Cooper, is shown on video asking Cooper to stop recording her, or she was going to call the cops and tell them "there's an African American man threatening my life." She repeated the statement several times, each time sounding more distressed, while appearing to call 911 dispatch.

Meanwhile, Christian didn't appear to move any closer to Amy. He tells NBC New York that he's an avid bird watcher who was in The Ramble, a popular spot in the park for birders, around 8 a.m. Monday morning. He says he only asked Amy to put her dog on the leash in the area where it's required to have your dog on a leash at all times."If the habitat is destroyed we won’t be able to go there to see the birds, to enjoy the plantings," Christian explained on Monday night. When Amy refused, he says he offered her dog a treat and started recording the incident.

"The only way they can keep the dog from eating the treat is to put it on a leash," he said. "At some point, she decided I’m gonna play the race card, I guess."

When Christian refused to stop recording her, Amy grabs her dog's collar and moves away from him to call the police, the video shows.

"There is an African-American man. I am in Central Park. He is recording me and threatening myself and my dog," she said.

The woman repeats her assertions several times to dispatchers while struggling to keep the dog within her control, lifting the dog up and pulling it by its collar several times.

Christian says he continued recording because he wasn't going to be intimidated. "I'm not going to participate in my own dehumanization. I'm not going to feed into this," he said.

"We live in an age of Ahmaud Arbery where black men are gunned down because of assumptions people make about black men, black people, and I’m just not going to participate in that," Christian tells NBC New York, echoing the online criticism Amy received.

Christian stopped recording after Amy finally puts her dog on a leash. He is heard telling her, "Thank you."

By the time officers arrived, Christian had already left. The NYPD said no complaint or arrests were made after police determined the incident was a "verbal dispute."

Mayor Bill de Blasio described the video footage as "racism, plain and simple."

The video of the incident had over 11 million views on Twitter as of Monday night. Speaking exclusively to NBC New York, Amy says she overreacted but she claimed that Christian was screaming, and that she felt threatened because she didn't know what was in the dog treats.

"I sincerely and humbly apologize to everyone, especially to that man, his family," she said in a phone call. "It was unacceptable and I humbly and fully apologize to everyone who’s seen that video, everyone that’s been offended…everyone who thinks of me in a lower light and I understand why they do."

"When I think about the police, I’m such a blessed person. I’ve come to realize especially today that I think of [the police] as a protection agency, and unfortunately, this has caused me to realize that there are so many people in this country that don’t have that luxury," she continued.

As a result of the incident, Amy has been put on administrative leave by her employer Franklin Templeton, an investment management company.

In addition to criticism of racism, Amy also received criticism of animal cruelty because she appeared to be choking her dog for nearly a minute after she grabbed it by the collar.

Abandoned Angels Cocker Spaniel Rescue says Amy adopted the dog a few years ago and has "voluntarily surrendered" the dog while the incident is being addressed.

"The dog is now in our rescue’s care and he is safe and in good health," the rescue said.
The thread title is appropriated from Michael Herriott, who coined it to describe the phenomenon of white people making false reports to police about the innocuous behaviour of blacks.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Re: White Caller Crime

Post by BoSoxGal »

I'm glad the dog is out of her hands - why on earth didn't she just leash it and walk away?? Now she's crying her life is being destroyed (quote from CNN article I just read) but she doesn't seem to understand that this entire incident is her fault start to finish. There is plenty of room in Central Park for dogs without letting them wreck the protected habitat for birds and small mammals. I'm a dog lover AND a birdwatcher and I always honor the refuge areas. He had every right to request that she leash the dog.

Her racism is despicable; she knows black men are vulnerable to police encounters. The DA should charge her for whatever false reporting statute is applicable, though I suspect possibly nothing applies.

PS - Very clever thread title.
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Tue May 26, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

These kinds of things put a lot of the bigger things in perspective. I suspect that incidents like these should be what the "hate crime" statutes should be used on. The woman made a false police report (not sure if that's a felony or just a misdemeanor) but it was engineered specifically because of the other person's race, elevating it to either a felony (if it's not) or a higher degree felony. I don't know how the hate crime laws exactly work, so I'm just an internet constitutional scholar chiming in blowing hot air :)

RayThom

White Caller Crime

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:02 pm
... Her racism is despicable; she knows black men are vulnerable to police encounters. The DA should charge her for whatever false reporting statute is applicable, though I suspect possibly nothing applies...
No job, no dog, no credibility, plus an abundance of mental instability.

I see another suicide blamed on COVID in the works.

PS. If any of you shoot videos on your smartphone be sure to hold the device horizontally/landscape, and NOT vertically/portrait for proper aspect ratio when viewed. It drives me nuts knowing so many people are unaware of the difference.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

RayThom wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:30 pm
PS. If any of you shoot videos on your smartphone be sure to hold the device horizontally/landscape, and NOT vertically/portrait for proper aspect ratio when viewed. It drives me nuts knowing so many people are unaware of the difference.
I've always shot in horizontal, I really don't understand why so many folks shoot vertical except I supposed it's how they're used to holding the phone . . . but I don't really understand that either, as I watch videos in horizontal as well and don't really understand why that's not the logical default.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:02 pm
I'm glad the dog is out of her hands - why on earth didn't she just leash it and walk away?? Now she's crying her life is being destroyed (quote from CNN article I just read) but she doesn't seem to understand that this entire incident is her fault start to finish. There is plenty of room in Central Park for dogs without letting them wreck the protected habitat for birds and small mammals. I'm a dog lover AND a birdwatcher and I always honor the refuge areas. He had every right to request that she leash the dog.

Her racism is despicable; she knows black men are vulnerable to police encounters. The DA should charge her for whatever false reporting statute is applicable, though I suspect possibly nothing applies.

PS - Very clever thread title.
False 911 call requiring a police response and wasting their time and resources. De Blasio called it. She needs charged and hit with a bunch of community service hours.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Amy Cooper Knew Exactly What She Was Doing

Amy Cooper knew exactly what she was doing. That’s the wildest and most insidious part of all this ― the part we haven’t been talking about enough.

On Monday evening, yet another video of a white woman calling the cops on a Black person out of spite went viral. This time, the woman in question was Amy Cooper, a dog owner who had unleashed her cocker spaniel, Henry, in a section of Central Park called the Ramble where, legally, dogs must be on a leash at all times.

Christian Cooper, a Black man, had reportedly asked the woman to put a leash on her dog. She didn’t appreciate his request and what transpired was captured in a video by Christian Cooper, in which the woman, unhappy with being recorded, threatened to call the police.

“I’m going to tell them there’s an African American man threatening my life,” Amy Cooper says in the one-minute clip.

And she did, whining hysterically, emphasizing the fact that her so-called attacker was African American (and nearly strangling her dog in the process).

What was clear in her words and how she used them was that she didn’t actually feel physically threatened ― rather, she was wielding her privilege as a white woman with the knowledge that accusing a Black man of violence was a weapon against him.

The video sparked outrage within hours of being posted online. Twitter sleuths quickly dug up Amy Cooper’s name, her workplace, and even the shelter where she adopted her dog. Her employer, Franklin Templeton, issued a statement indicating that she had been placed on administrative leave. She willingly surrendered her dog to the Abandoned Angels Cocker Spaniel Rescue.

By Monday evening, Amy Cooper had issued an apology to NBC New York in which she said:
(I have chosen not to give any credence to the sincerity of her bullshit apology by reproducing it here)
There is, of course, a long history of white women in this country falsely accusing Black people, particularly Black men and boys, of crimes they did not commit. In 1955, 14-year-old Emmett Till was beaten, tortured and killed because Carolyn Bryant claimed that Till grabbed her and made sexual advances towards her in a Mississippi grocery store. She later admitted that was not true.

The 1921 Tulsa race massacre, in which whites destroyed an affluent Black neighborhood and killed and injured hundreds of its residents, was sparked after white elevator operator Sarah Page claimed that Black shoe shiner Dick Rowland assaulted her. It’s been widely reported that Rowland tripped upon entering the elevator Page was operating, accidentally grabbing her arm to steady himself. She screamed.

Nearly a century later, in the heart of New York City, Amy Cooper’s actions echo this dark history. And so it is incredibly disingenuous for Cooper, in her statement, to claim that the fallout from the incident has “caused” her to realize and recognize her privilege as a white woman in America.

But her actions and her apology reveal a kind of savviness, a calculated racism showing she was already aware of that privilege. The clip of Cooper sneering “I’m going to tell them there’s an African American man threatening my life” highlights this truth about race in America: White people are far more aware of the structure of the thing than they care to admit.

Cooper seems like a fairly average person. It’s very likely that she doesn’t consider herself racist. It’s very likely that she doesn’t consider race much at all, because she doesn’t have to. Perhaps she has one or two Black friends and works with Black employees and feels good about her interactions and relationships with them. Perhaps she likes singing Beyoncé songs at karaoke.

And yet, when asked by Christian Cooper to follow the rules, it’s telling that her reaction was indignant, angry and then passively violent. She understood completely the implications of calling the cops on a Black man. She understood that her faux-breathless screaming and tears could elicit a very specific, historic, racialized response. And that is why she did it, why she felt comfortable saying all the things she said, with a camera trained on her.

It makes one wonder what Amy Cooper has said and done that has been harmful to Black people and other people of color when a camera wasn’t trained on her. As The Black List founder Franklin Leonard asked on Twitter last night, “How many times has Amy Cooper said behind closed doors that a black co-worker ‘wasn’t a team player,’ ‘isn’t one of us,’ ‘made her uncomfortable.’ How many times has she just not been able to put her finger on it, but just doesn’t think they’re the right candidate for the job?”

There is an unwieldiness, an unpredictability to whiteness that puts Black and brown bodies in needless danger, simply because it can. Often, this unpredictability is framed or presented as a kind of obliviousness: White women calling the police on Black people — as if the cops are a pizza delivery service or, perhaps more appropriately, an exterminator — are viewed as silly and absurd. But there is a sharpness to their absurdity. A cunning.

In all this, I’m thinking of the number of times I’ve felt my presence and my existence policed by whiteness in both subtle and overt ways. The times I’ve been sternly told not to sit on stoops in my quickly gentrifying neighborhood, or asked who I knew in an apartment building that I lived in, experiences I’ve seen echoed in news stories about other Black people over the last several years. In every instance, I’ve had to mitigate my annoyance, weigh the pros and cons of an eye roll or a withering glare. I’ve had to be intentional about remaining calm, deescalating the situation, making the other person — the person policing me — feel safe and reassured, in spite of the fact that in these interactions they’ve been perfectly fine and I’ve been the one made to feel unsafe and insecure.

What the Amy Cooper situation reveals to me is what instances of racism in America always reveal: There’s a level of self-examination and self-awareness that white people are not doing that they must do. There’s something that white people, even the ones who believe that they hold no biases, that they wield no power, must admit to themselves and begin to unpack. They are complicit — and even participatory — in the system of white supremacy. Individual white people may not believe they are, but their ability to tap into that system is always within reach.

For his part, Christian Cooper was gracious in response to Amy Cooper’s apology. He told CNN: “If it’s genuine and if she plans on keeping her dog on a leash in the Ramble going forward, then we have no issues with each other.”

It’s great that he accepts her apology, even though he has every right not to. Perhaps Amy Cooper losing her job or losing her dog feels like a kind of justice, but I’m weary of the storyline that these viral stories always follow: Someone is caught doing something racist, it goes viral, they lose their job, issue a lukewarm apology, and the news cycle moves on.

In this narrative, when the frenzy is over, it’s always unclear whether the person who was outed for doing something racist is actually going to change. There are so many Amy Coopers out there, and until they do the work, this is just going to keep happening.

-- Author unknown

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

As you have already said: “White privilege is a thing.” “White caller privilege” too, apparently.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Just found this online:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

This Twitter thread is an interesting conversation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ellle_em/sta ... 9494125568
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I was with the piece you linked, BSG - until this last sentence.
But Amy Cooper is not an anomaly. She is, unfortunately, the norm.
I really, really, want that not to be true. I'm not black and I probably don't know enough people, but does anyone here think that is true?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I doubt it. She may not be an anomaly but she is far from being “a” let alone “the” norm.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

dales

Post by dales »

Ask her dog.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 pm

I really, really, want that not to be true. I'm not black and I probably don't know enough people, but does anyone here think that is true?
The only "norm" about the actions of Amy Cooper in the video is the victimhood she displays. Some people seem to be able to find a way to become a victim in any situation that arises.

dales

Post by dales »

We have a few of them here.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

dales wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:29 pm
:stir:

RayThom

White Caller Crime

Post by RayThom »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 pm
Sadly, to me this incident just proves that anyone has it within themselves to be a totally racist asshole. Political ideology has very little to do with it.

It's how you live, not what you think.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

dales

Post by dales »

Joe Guy wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:35 pm
dales wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:29 pm
:stir:
Boil, Boil

Toil and trouble

yrs,
rubato