White Caller Crime

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

Re: White Caller Crime

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

RayThom wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:51 pm
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 pm
I was with the piece you linked, BSG - until this last sentence.
But Amy Cooper is not an anomaly. She is, unfortunately, the norm.
I really, really, want that not to be true. I'm not black and I probably don't know enough people, but does anyone here think that is true?
Sadly, to me this incident just proves that anyone has it within themselves to be a totally racist asshole. Political ideology has very little to do with it.
Well no, it proves that Ms Cooper, despite her apparent donations to Obama and Kerry in the past, has it within herself to be a totally racist asshole. Or maybe irrational fear can push someone over an edge that they would never go to willingly. Maybe he said "Please control your dog and she genuinely heard "I'm gonna kill your dog."

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Please do NOT make excuses for her - she marched right up to him to put her nasty finger in his face, she clearly had NO FEAR of him, she was just an entitled pissed off bitch who wasn’t having any of a NIGGER telling her what to do.

We all have eyes, we can all see this. Let’s deal in reality.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

White Caller Crime

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:05 am
Please do NOT make excuses for her - she marched right up to him to put her nasty finger in his face, she clearly had NO FEAR of him, she was just an entitled pissed off bitch who wasn’t having any of a NIGGER telling her what to do.

We all have eyes, we can all see this. Let’s deal in reality.
Amen, sister Bo.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Bit of a shock to learn that this Karen is Canadian - although I’m aware our friendlier neighbors to the north have their own race problems, Cooper’s behavior seemed particularly ugly American. Perhaps living here has rubbed off.
According to her now-deleted LinkedIn profile, Cooper has worked at Franklin since 2015. The profile described her as the leader of “the insurance portfolio management and strategy business at Franklin Templeton. She has dedicated her career to delivering and executing investment solutions for insurance and pension companies globally. … She is a recognized industry leader in insurance accounting and regulatory issues, asset-liability management, and strategic asset allocation. She has worked in a variety of insurance-focused roles.”

SHE ALSO WORKED AT AIG, CITI AND LEHMAN BROTHERS

A native of Canada, she studied at the University of Waterloo in Ontario from 1998 to 2003, graduating with a degree in actuarial science. She earned her MBA in analytical finance at Chicago’s Booth School in 2009. Before working at Franklin Templeton, Amy Cooper worked at AIG, Citi, Lehman Brothers and Willis Towers Watson.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Response from Canada:

Sorry!
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

White Caller Crime

Post by RayThom »

Waterloo? Very appropriate.

She has met hers.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

U of W is down the street from the university I attended. We used to say that their actuarial science program was for people who found accounting too exciting for their taste.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

RayThom wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:35 am
Waterloo? Very appropriate.

She has met hers.
Magically malicious was funnier.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Christian Cooper happens to be gay, and pretty smokin' hot!

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

He’s a birder; ‘nuff said.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

A truly epic rant! The laughter is infectious.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

White Caller Crime

Post by RayThom »

Econoline wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:25 pm
A truly epic rant! https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/th ... 1843701476
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL, et.al, etc.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I KNOW IT'S HARD WITH ALL-CAPS...but I hope you also read the rest. ;)

(TBH, I think that rant might actually be the first time that somebody else's "LOL" really made me laugh out loud.)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

White Caller Crime

Post by RayThom »

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. No one is angrier than a woman who has been rejected in love."
William Congreve

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Scooter wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:27 pm
Christian Cooper happens to be gay, and pretty smokin' hot!

I was trying to post this in the eye candy thread. Hot and smart (Harvard grad) and creative (written comics for Star Trek/Marvel, including gay and lesbian characters) and caring (he forgives his “Karen”). Yes please.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Bird-watcher wrongfully accused in Central Park video gets a bird-watching TV show

Christian Cooper, the bird-watching Black man who was the target of false accusations during an encounter in New York City's Central Park in 2020, has a new TV show airing on National Geographic.

The channel announced this week that Cooper, a lifelong bird-watcher, will host a series called Extraordinary Birder. In the series, Cooper will take viewers into the "wild, wonderful and unpredictable world of birds," according to National Geographic.

"Whether braving stormy seas in Alaska for puffins, trekking into rainforests in Puerto Rico for parrots, or scaling a bridge in Manhattan for a peregrine falcon, he does whatever it takes to learn about these extraordinary feathered creatures and show us the remarkable world in the sky above," the network said in a statement.

The channel has yet to announce a premiere date for the show.

In an interview with The New York Times, Cooper said his love for bird-watching began at age 10, and he told the newspaper he "was all in" when National Geographic approached him about the possibility of a TV show nearly a year and a half ago.

"I love spreading the gospel of birding," he said in the Times interview.

The 59-year-old was thrust into the spotlight in May 2020 after Amy Cooper (no relation), a white woman with a dog, called the police saying he threatened her and her dog.

In a video recorded by Christian Cooper, Amy Cooper is shown calling the police, telling 911 dispatchers, "I'm in the Ramble. And there is a man, African American — he has a bicycle helmet. He's recording me and threatening me and my dog."

Amy Cooper was charged with a third-degree misdemeanor over making the false claim, but the charge was later dropped, given her lack of a criminal background.

The Manhattan District Attorney's Office says it dropped the charge after Amy Cooper completed five restorative justice sessions.

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

...in May 2020 after Amy Cooper (no relation), a white woman with a dog, called the police saying ....
Why is it necessary for the author of that article to include Any Cooper's race?
called the police saying he threatened her and her dog....
And shouldn't it be "...he threatened Amy Cooper and her dog instead of 'her and her dog'."?

(would it be correct to use "She and her dog" in that sentence?)

Calling all grammar police! Education needed on aisle B!

(ETA: fixed the "the" Amy Cooper to Amy Cooper)
Last edited by Joe Guy on Sun May 22, 2022 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Her race is relevant insofar as she attempted to weaponize his race against him.

"...he threatened her and her dog" because if "and her dog" wasn't there, it would be "he threatened her", not "he threatened she". Whenever unsure about whether to use subjective or objective case of a pronoun in combination with a noun, try using the pronoun alone, or using another pronoun that replaces both the noun and the pronoun. So "Mabel and I went to the store" because it would be "I went to the store", not "Me went to the store". "It was a matter between John and her" because it's "It was a matter between them", not "between they".

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 3:20 am

Why is it necessary for the author of that article to include Any Cooper's race?
It's there so that people can weaponise her race, and make the issue all about race, even if it wasn't.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”