George Floyd

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

George Floyd

Post by BoSoxGal »

I think he deserves his own thread here.

I have a lot to say but I’ve been so upset I’ve barely slept the last two nights and I’m not terribly articulate at this point.

I’m fucking tired of the brutality of so many police and the disgusting racism of so many of my fellow citizens. I want to burn the system down and start over. At this point I’m profoundly ashamed of my whiteness.

400 fucking years - when the fuck does it end?!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Re: George Floyd

Post by Scooter »

I can't count how many white people have been tsk tsking about the rioting, deigning to quote MLK and lecture blacks about how that isn't the way to get what they want. Fuck that, and fuck them. What more can we expect black people to do, how much fucking more do we expect them to take, before we collectively say, enough, black lives are not disposable like so much used toilet paper.

Guess what, if black people end up burning our countries to the ground, if every white person has to live in fear of having our throats slashed in our sleep, then it's nothing more than we fucking deserve for letting things come to this pass.

There is a reckoning to be paid, and Minneapolis got nothing more than a taste of it so far.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

RayThom

George Floyd

Post by RayThom »

Racism wrapped in blue.

The police culture must change.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

If the state and federal prosecutors in this case abdicate their responsibility to pursue justice against the murdering cop Derek Chauvin (some kind of poetic fucking irony thing with that last name, huh?), who apparently has 18 use of force complaints against him in his 19 year career, as well as against his accomplice partner Thao who apparently also has a history of excessive use of force including a pending case, I think I might send them both a copy of my letter resigning from the Bar in protest of the utter lack of respect shown to the constitution by far too many prosecutors faced with police brutality cases.

Turns out the other two cops on scene were both rookies, one hired in ‘17 and the other ‘19 - this fact perhaps explains their utter lack of balls in doing zero to intervene and protect Mr. Floyd’s life, but it doesn’t excuse their moral failing. I’m not sure what charges could be brought against them, I suppose if Chauvin is charged with murder then why not charge the other three with felony murder.

But I know how fucking unlikely this is to happen. They sent the black officer who shot the Australian woman to prison, but see he was black and she was white. $20 says nothing happens to these murderous gutless pieces of shit. They’ll all probably be back in law enforcement jobs before the year is out.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

That case has all sorts of weird potential. Did Klobuchar not prosecute Chauvin previously?

What's up with the prosecutors calling a news conference and then cancelling with the word there's an issue with charging criminally.

Something smells.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Darren

Post by Darren »

CNN has some of the footage of Floyd outside the business sitting on the sidewalk with his back against the store. The fraud was a counterfeit $20 bill. The business video should show how Floyd ended up in the street except CNN didn't show it all.

RayThom

George Floyd

Post by RayThom »

Darren wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:18 am
... The fraud was a counterfeit $20 bill. The business video should show how Floyd ended up in the street except CNN didn't show it all.
How many counterfeit $20s is a life worth?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Darren

Post by Darren »

RayThom wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:51 am
Darren wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:18 am
... The fraud was a counterfeit $20 bill. The business video should show how Floyd ended up in the street except CNN didn't show it all.
How many counterfeit $20s is a life worth?
Floyd may have ultimately been facing federal charges. Who knows what went through his mind. The latest info is that Floyd had been to the rodeo many times before.

That still doesn't justify his death and the cops couldn't have known about his previous record. He had moved to Minneapolis for a fresh start and up until the fake bill had been on the straight and narrow.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Let’s please not forget that his crime was alleged, not convicted. People have innocently come into possession of counterfeit cash before. But even if he WAS guilty, property crime never justifies the death penalty.

The ONLY conversation relevant here is the crime we saw on that video recording.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:20 am
Let’s please not forget that his crime was alleged, not convicted. People have innocently come into possession of counterfeit cash before. But even if he WAS guilty, property crime never justifies the death penalty.

The ONLY conversation relevant here is the crime we saw on that video recording.
Now we know Floyd and Chauvin knew each other from working security at a club.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

dales

Post by dales »

If tried and convicted, he'll have a rather shyytie time in jail.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Darren

Post by Darren »

Ramifications:

"Combined, the men have been the subject of more than a dozen civilian complaints, for which Chauvin has faced three verbal reprimands. The database confirmed that internal reviews of Chauvin and Thao’s use of force by the Minneapolis police department resulted in no disciplinary action each time.

The Minnesota senator Amy Klobuchar, (previously the prosecuting attorney) a former Democratic presidential candidate, has faced backlash for what critics have called a tame demand for “a complete and thorough outside investigation”, and is now being questioned on her record. Between 1999 and 2007, Klobuchar, the state’s then top prosecutor, declined to press charges against more than a dozen officers accused of killing civilians."

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I really think she should be off the VP list - Harris too. No prosecutors. Andrew was right about them, or at least 95% of them. The prosecutorial culture is as broken as the policing culture, I saw that from the inside.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

Along with the coronavirus how many businesses in the area will survive?

"May 28, 2020
Burl Gilyard

St. Paul-based developer Wellington Management Inc. woke up on Thursday morning to find its under-construction, 190-unit apartment project in its Minnehaha Commons redevelopment near the intersection of Lake Street and Minnehaha Avenue in south Minneapolis had been torched and burned to the ground.

The six-story, 190-unit affordable housing project had been slated to open in the spring of 2021. A city of Minneapolis worksheet on the project listed the total development cost at approximately $37 million, including contingency and reserve funds; land and construction costs were about $30 million. The apartment project has been known as Midtown Corner."

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Police clearly had their priorities straight in what needed to be protected:

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

RayThom

George Floyd

Post by RayThom »

Darren wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:29 am
... Now we know Floyd and Chauvin knew each other from working security at a club.
And...?