Gonna be away for a while -- Snailgate

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I won't be checking in here for a while. I need a time out. Compared to many people, I have had a very comfortable life. I will be 81 years old on on the next Bloom's Day. I have had very few major injuries or illness. I have had a wonderfully supportive spouse for almost 55 years. My children have been good members of their community, wherever they have been. And Yet.

Last August my 50 year old son killed himself. In the late fall my spouse had a heart attack. In January of this year I was in the hospital with congestive heart failure; that has been treated and is under control. My wife went in to the hospital in in February just feeling lousy and other symptoms. She was released from the hospital after a week with the good news that her heart was fine and she did not have CoVid19. What she had was stage four pancreatic cancer. This morning she died, while sitting next to me on the couch in the living room of our apartment.

I will have to take some time to get myself together. Again, my life has been wonderful and trouble free, compared to many.

I thank you all for your indulgence.

snailgate

datsunaholic

Re: Gonna be away for a while -- Snailgate

Post by datsunaholic »

I'm so sorry. I can only imagine the loss.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BP/SG - I don't do prayers but I do do thoughts. I cannot imagine the pain of what you have gone through in the last year.

If I can help a little with one thing - I was diagnosed with heart issues now nine years ago - I had a pentuple bypass and have had no issues since then.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I am so sorry for all this. Do come back when you are up to it.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

How devastating. Tears and an aching heart, meaningless I guess. But I am so very sorry to read your news. Please come back when you can.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Oh snailgate, I am so sorry for your losses and your pain. Please take the time you need, and be kind to yourself. We will be here when you are ready to return.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

RB, this is devastating news. I am so sorry for your loss.

To me it often seems that God can give you more than you can handle. Fortunately, I know you're up to the challenge. Sure, take some time off from the world around you, grieve as you must, but please stay focused. With that you will still find purpose. You'll get through this, too, if you let it.

Remember that "Pearls Before Swine" panel you sent me some months ago about "thoughts and prayers?" (I have it hanging above my computer desk as a touchstone.) Getting up can be hard at times, but it always beats doing nothing.

As always, in times of mourning, I turn to Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 for some solace and perspective. You are in my thoughts more than ever.

Peace, Ray
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

rubato

Post by rubato »

May you be surrounded by the love of family, friends and community.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

Our sincere condolences, for what they are worth.

Please come back to us when you are feeling it is right to do so.

Be kind to yourself.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

So sorry for your losses. Best wishes.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I don't know if you're still around here enough to read this, Snailgate, but if not I hope you can pull through and eventually see this...

As I said before, elsewhere, I'm really lousy at condolences, which is why it took me a whole day to think of anything to say. "I'm so sorry" seems so very inadequate. This news hit me hard, because I really can imagine how hard this must be for you, and it terrifies me. My wife and I are both 73, and we've been married for more than 52 years, and if she were to die first I expect it would destroy me.* So yes, I can imagine that this hurts more than knowing that you're going to die yourself. I hope you can find some comfort in whatever religion you have, and whatever friends and relations you have. And know, too, that some of your friends are right here on the internet. :hug:

*(We're both relatively healthy, and statistically she's likely to outlive me, plus I think she's more resilient than I am. But—to quote Fats Waller—One never knows, do one?)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It's good to know that you were able to be there for her, unlike folks who are in hospitals right now.

As people of faith, you know she's in a better place. I feel sorry for those who call that a useless platitude, and don't know that someday they will re-join those who have gone on before us. 55 years is a long time, but it's incredibly short compared to eternity. I'd like to think that Mrs Mc and I might have 55 years here together, but we got a late start.

PM me if you like.

Chuck
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:02 am

As people of faith, you know she's in a better place. I feel sorry for those who call that a useless platitude, and don't know that someday they will re-join those who have gone on before us. 55 years is a long time, but it's incredibly short compared to eternity. I'd like to think that Mrs Mc and I might have 55 years here together, but we got a late start...
Amen to that.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

liberty

Post by liberty »

I am sorry to read of the loss of your wife. I know from experience that losing love ones is the worse pain. I have lost my brother, my mother, and my best friend, two of them to cancer. My wife and I have been married for fifty years and I know that one of us has to die first; I dread that day. But, we will just have to face that it when it happens. All I can say is that the pain does get better with time.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Snailgate, I'm very sorry for your loss and you have my deepest sympathy. Take your time and come back when you're ready. Take good care of yourself. You're always welcome here among your friends.

dales

Post by dales »

Sorry for your losses, stay safe and be well.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Very sorry for your losses; there's really nothing that I can say that will even begin to make the pain less. All I can say is to echo the sentiments of others; take the time you need, and remember that we will be here when you get back. And take whatever comfort you can in understanding that you are in the thoughts/prayers of many here and elsewhere.
Last edited by Big RR on Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:19 pm
the oughts/pryers of many here
Not a bad descriptor . . .
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Thanks for bein my editor, I have made the corrections.