Stupid decisions

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
TPFKA@W

Stupid decisions

Post by TPFKA@W »

Our state fair was cancelled. The kids don't get to show the animals they have worked so hard on and the projects too. No draft horses, which is my favorite thing of the summer, no concerts, no fairway rides.
So instead, in someone's wisdom, not sure who exactly to blame but possibly our idiot governor, they are going to set up a big carnival at the state fairgrounds. Seriously. Someone might, and knowing this place will, explain to me how there is any benefit in having a giant carnival, instead of a giant carnival with the other things. I figure a cootie-go-round is a cootie-go-round.

Big RR

Re: Stupid decisions

Post by Big RR »

The only things I can think of is that acarnival will attract less visitors than the fair would, and a carnival would have less congregating in small areas (like where the animals are in stalls or at the awards ceremony), but the difference does not appear to be that great as I see it, and there is no reason to cancel the fair and permit the carnival. Perhaps the carnival operators greased the right wheels in state and local government (or, in a less cynical view, the state was on the hook for a big cancellation fee).
Last edited by Big RR on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I am not sure that it’s the same carnival as the one normally attached to the state fair. But greased palms are likely.

dales

Post by dales »

Beats being in the hospital with COVID-19.

Cases in the USA are exploding.

Public Health is always paramount to entertainment.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

dales wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:54 pm

The post’s point seems to have sailed over your head.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I think he followed me into the llama agility trials and got lost.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Bread and circuses brought up to date. Fried dough and Ferris wheels. Juvenal would be so proud.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Long Run wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:52 pm
I think he followed me into the llama agility trials and got lost.

I like the Jack Russell races but llamas are uncooperative and somewhat combative so watching them spit their way through an agility course would be worth watching.

dales

Post by dales »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:42 pm
dales wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:54 pm

The post’s point seems to have sailed over your head.
I wouldn't be surprised.

Your point being?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The cancelled a state fair, where crowds would have congregated, and are substituting a big carnival, where crowds will congregate. IOW, no discernible benefit to the public health.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

dales

Post by dales »

Got it, thanks Scooter.

Early onset Alzheimers is no fun.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

There's a lot of things that ain't gonna be back to anything even resembling normal until well into 2021.

La Crosse Festivals Inc, the organization that is behind our community's annual "all-inclusive" celebration of German heritage, OktoberfestUSA® — which would have been held in late September (9/24 thru 9/2727) — has just announced that this year's event is cancelled.  That's too bad ... you can't believe how wonderful it is to go to Heritage Night and have a couple of Hmong egg rolls followed by a bratwurst mit kraut und senf and a side of pea soup Nova Scotia-style, and wash the whole mess down with a pint of Guinness stout; then make a trip back for seconds to make sure you get some of the HoChunk fried bread to dip into the authentic Mexican chili con carne y queso.  Oh, and did I mention that you do this while watching square dancers, gymnastics exhibitions, barbershop singers, and assorted jugglers, ventriloquists, and lip-synchers (remember "Puttin' on the Lips"? ... someone around here still does, and thinks that that's REAL entertainment!)
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

...OktoberfestUSA® — which would have been held in late September (9/24 thru 9/2727)
707 years!!! Now that's quite an intense "celebration of German heritage"!!! :lol: ;)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

As an introverted loner I’ve eschewed most social gatherings for years now; not always, when I lived in dusty cowboy town I joined the billiards league and played 2 nights a week for months for instance, and before that weekly pub meetups with the local bar association in the dusty cowboy towns before the last one. But in general I’m no longer a huge fan of crowded venues and such as I was when I was younger.

However now that things are as they are, I find myself pining for those days and events - if only to decide to stay home but whilst knowing hundreds or thousands will be going without me. Safely, of course.

I frankly think things might very well be dreadful well beyond early 2021, given that a very high percentage of Americans are indicating an unwillingness to be vaccinated when the covid19 vaccine comes on scene, and given that said vaccine is likely to be one that requires at least annual administration if not semi-annual, since coronaviruses are notorious for stimulating short lived antibodies and there is already some evidence that those who suffered early in the pandemic are beginning to show significant drop off in antibody to the virus.

I think the world for the medically vulnerable - which in chronically ill America is a lot of us - looks very different for a long time to come absent discovery or development of new, significantly more successful treatment modalities.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Econoline wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:25 am
...OktoberfestUSA® — which would have been held in late September (9/24 thru 9/2727)
707 years!!! Now that's quite an intense "celebration of German heritage"!!! :lol: ;)
As we Germans might say, „Gehen groß oder nach Hause gehen!“
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

:ok :lol:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

What BSG said. And a discussion which needs to be had, and had publicly, is this. What happens when a vaccine is found and verified? There won't be 8 billion doses available on day 2. It may literally take years for there to be enough doses to create even minimal worldwide herd immunity. And of course whoever does first develop it will instantly realize that they are sitting on the world's biggest gold mine. If it was developed by a taxpayer funded university - let's say for the sake of argument Univ of N Dakota - do the good people of Fargo and BIsmarck get first crack? What about the bad people of Fargo - don't they feed people into wood chippers there? - do they get a look in?

And what if a vaccine is developed by the Wuhan virologists? If the Chinese tell the US to go and piss up a rope (we have, after all, sequestered all the world's remdesivir for ourselves) do we send the 101st Airborne over to steal it? And if they will sell us 500,000 doses a month, who gets it? A lottery or highest bidder? How high would you go? If they wanted $10,000 per dose and it was good for 3 years, would you pay it? (Hint: yes.).

Fauci is cautiously optimistic that a vaccine could be available by early 2021. Obviously he knows a hell of a lot more than I do about the technical aspects of all this. But who will make this kind of decision? And please don't make me puke by suggesting some sort of ecumenical body comprising a priest, a rabbi and an imam.

This could get very ugly, very quickly.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

That all depends on the makeup of the vaccine and the availability to produce it. If it’s fairly easy to produce and they allow production all over the world things could proceed quickly. But if it’s a bitch to produce and the inventor treats it like proprietary information. It will be a huge cluster.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

Stupid Decisions

Post by RayThom »

What about the "October surprise?" Our Orange Mussolini is hoping this will insure bigly numbers on November 3rd.

Fauci Vows To Oppose Any Trump Virus Vaccine October Surprise
https://www.politicususa.com/2020/06/18 ... ccine.html
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Apparently someone aside from me thought this was ridiculous.
https://www.wishtv.com/news/coronavirus ... cancel-it/
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The company that has operated the midway for the Indiana State Fair has now rented the 13 acres at the Indiana State Fairgrounds to hold their own midway this year, but they are facing some push back.

In about a month the space behind the grand stands at the Indiana State Fairgrounds is scheduled to host the Fairgrounds Fun Park, which is kind of like a state fair event, without the animals, the farmers or sideshows that Dick Wolfsie writes about.

Since the announcement of the planned fun park, hundreds of people have signed an online petition to cancel it. The organizer of the petition is Jody Madeira, an Indiana University law professor who specializes in public health issues.

“I was mystified because the original state fair had been canceled basically because of coronavirus and yet we had been recieved news that there was going to be another fair consisting of basically the same things that you would find at the state fair, only this one is going on despite a surge in corona cases” said Madeira.

The petition cites concerns about safety guidelines that say are marginal at best, and would make contact tracing almost impossible.

“And the problem is that even though we could say if you don’t agree just stay home, the problem is if we have a super spreader event in our community, if we have a fair that opens up at the fairgrounds, if we have a school that doesn’t require masks or doesn’t follow proper procedures, then this affects the entire community,” said Madeira.

Even though the event is not scheduled to open for another four weeks, COVID-19 cases remain steady across the state and the city of Indianapolis.

Alicia Thomas, spokesperson for North American Midway entertainment, says they are in contact with local and state health departments.

“We are requiring masks for all of our employees and contractors. They are highly recommended from guests. We are providing additional hand sanitizers and hand-washing stations through the grounds and sanitizing the rides, the high-touch areas through the day,” said Thomas.

North American Midway Entertainment is scheduled to open the Fairgrounds Fun Park along Main Street with fewer rides than the state fair and with many of the same food vendors as the state fair.

Wednesday during Gov. Holcomb’s briefing, Dr. Kristina Box didn’t offer a ringing endorsement for any fair activity.

“I know that from a state level the concept of the carnival and the rides is still under discussion and I will have a time shortly to talk to the CEO of the fairgrounds about what may happen in August,” said Dr. Box.

The event organizer says the number of people allowed in the space will be limited in order to maintain social distancing guidelines and there will be additional sanitizing stations in place.