Washington Redskin's New Name?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Re: Washington Redskin's New Name?

Post by Gob »

So much rides on the Washington Football Team’s rebranding “journey” that Jason Wright, the president of the NFL franchise, announced last week that 15,000 suggestions that the club has received from 60 countries and all 50 US states were not quite enough. The only decision the WFT has settled on, apparently, is that the team colors will remain the same.

“Seeing the results from our analytics,” Wright wrote in a letter on the team’s website, “we know that the burgundy and gold are deeply important to folks, so I can confidently say the color scheme will remain the same.

“Cue the cheers/sighs of relief,” Wright added, without the slightest hint of sarcasm.

So if you think you have a better name than Washington Football Team, you’d best hurry up and get it to washingtonjourney.com by 5 April. As Wright wrote to the fans: “We do not take this task lightly. Before we get to the stage of narrowing down names, we understand the insights of what matters to you in a name.”

Nothing, Wright wrote, has been ruled out – including the existing name itself. Washington Football Team is the generic name the club came up with when it announced last July that it was “retiring” its nickname and logo, widely considered to be offensive to Native Americans, after 87 years.

The WFT went on to win the NFC East in their first season with the name. Washington played in a wretched division, lost more games (nine) than they won (seven) and were dispatched in the first round of the playoffs – admittedly by the eventual champions, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers – but a division title is a division title. Ron Rivera, hired a year ago as coach, has a building block, if not a star quarterback.

So Washington Football Team remains in play. Keeping it would mean the franchise would not have to change names twice in two or three years, forcing the most ardent fans to buy yet another new burgundy-and-gold hoodie. The nickname, or lack of a nickname, is different for the NFL, which does not go for the singular nicknames – like the Jazz or Avalanche – seen in other US sports.

So why change it at all? Well, consider two factors: hoodies and kids.

“I think they can do better than ‘Football Team,’” Scott Rosner, a sports business professor at Columbia University, tells the Guardian. “It’s too generic.”

Rosner goes on to say that the nickname could stick because it is so counterintuitive, and somewhat defiant: “It’s so bad that it’s good,” he says, adding, “It’s just awkward.”

Continues here..

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

American football teams like good aggressive names. I think the Washington Insurrectionists would be apt and timely. I shall suggest it on their site. You read it here first.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I think they would sell a lot of apparel with WTF as the brand name.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:46 pm
American football teams like good aggressive names. I think the Washington Insurrectionists would be apt and timely. I shall suggest it on their site. You read it here first.
Yep--dolphins, packers, saints, jets, bills (maybe if it referred to invoices it could be aggressive collection practices), cardinals, ...--aggressive one and all. But I would not reward the capitol invaders by calling them insurrectionists--maybe they could be the Washington Assholes;r maybe the Washington Braindead Idiots.

But seriously, they could use the name Knights (Paired with a color if they like), o something like Defenders or Avengers (which pairs nicely with Washington).

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Nah, it needs to be one, or at most two syllables. How about the Washington Riot?
Long Run wrote:
I think they would sell a lot of apparel with WTF as the brand name.
:ok YES!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(and for a one-syllable nickname, the obvious choice would be simply "FUCK!"!)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

How about the Washington Riot
:ok

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

A team with so many Baughsome memories, with its very own Monk known for his Art receptions, having the top cartoon character of all time (Charlie Brown), a team known for leaving the field with a Huff, demonstrating such speed that one would be Green from leaving no Moss to gather, you would think such a team could find a better name than the Washington Goal Post.