Washington Redskin's New Name?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Crackpot

Re: Washington Redskin's New Name?

Post by Crackpot »

We all know Eskimo is a really poignant word. Especially when it’s underlined in a copy of Moby Dick.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Crackpot wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:15 pm
How about the “DC Snipers”?

Too soon?

Oh wow, that's quality sarcasm! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

If we're going to get it right, don't we need to change "Columbia" as well? :?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

"Washington DOA", while accurate, is a little offputting
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

The Washington NFL team is announcing a new name today.

(Multiple media sources)

LJ - hope you provided some input....
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Announcing a new name, but not THE new name.
The National Football League's Washington Redskins will officially announce Monday that the team will be changing its name, according to multiple reports.

Although the team is expected to announce the change of name, the new name will not be announced until a later date due to trademark issues, according to Sports Business Daily. Head coach Ron Rivera told The Washington Post in an interview he was working with team owner Daniel Snyder on a name that would honor both the military and Native Americans.
Debates will rage.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

This is interesting; I seriously wonder if we didn't have a jerk like Trump for president whether it would have come to this point. From what I can se I think a number of people who might have otherwise supported keeping the name (people like Jim) backed away from a desire not to be lumped together with Trump and his supporters. the same thing has happened with Kaepernick (especially with Goodell).

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

My money's on 'The Red Clouds'. Mitchell Red Cloud was a Native American Medal of Honor recipient (Korean conflict); and the 'Red' bit would be a nod to their prior name.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Washington Code Talkers?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

According to a poll I saw, the front-runners is "Redtails", in homage to the Tuskegee Airmen (who were known for painting the empennage of their aircraft a bright red).  However, a little history:

The Tuskegee Airment were a group of African-American and Caribbean-born military pilots (fighter and bomber) who formed the 332nd Fighter Group and the 477th Bombardment Group of the United States Army Air Corps. They were educated at Tuskegee University (formerly Tuskegee Institute), located near Tuskegee, Alabama and trained at the Tuskegee Army Air Fields as well as at Griel Field, Kennedy Field, Moton Field, and Shorter Field (which were auxiliary fields to the Tuskegee Army Air Fields and also located in Alabama).

As for Mitchell Red Cloud Jr, see my post about him here.

In my opinion, neither name should be considered, as the Tuskegee Airmen (a/k/a the "Redtails") as well as Mitchell Red Cloud have about as much connection to Washington DC as alligators would have to Albuquerque.

If they want to keep the term "red" in the picture and still retain a connection to the halls of government, how about commemorating the era of McCarthyism and calling themselves the "Red Scares"?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:30 pm
My money's on 'The Red Clouds'. Mitchell Red Cloud was a Native American Medal of Honor recipient (Korean conflict); and the 'Red' bit would be a nod to their prior name.
Plus, there might be commercial tie-in possibilities with toilet hygiene products. I can see it now, "White Cloud Stadium."

”What's in a name? That which we call a Redskin by any other name would smell just as bad."
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:36 pm

As for Mitchell Red Cloud Jr, see my post about him here.

Thanks - I knew I'd seen a reference to him lately but I could not recall the context.

In my opinion, neither name should be considered, as the Tuskegee Airmen (a/k/a the "Redtails") as well as Mitchell Red Cloud have about as much connection to Washington DC as alligators would have to Albuquerque.

Or as jazz would have to Utah, for that matter.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Or Detroit does with Lions and Chicago does with Bears.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

The Washington Volcanoes?

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Those damned Native Americans want everything. And now this renaming fiasco.

Sour grapes, I say. They should be satisfied and happy that they got half of Oklahoma.

Tell 'em, John.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

What's next--the Atlanta Braves? Cleveland Indians? KC Chiefs? My bet would have been the FSU Seminoles as it is a state university, but it's also endorsed by the Seminole tribe and the Florida so who knows?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Washington Welchers? Washington Indian Givers? Washington Blankets? Washington Firewaters? Washington Treaties?
In March 2014, amid one of many protests demanding Washington’s football team change its name, team owner Daniel Snyder announced the creation of the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation. The charity’s intent, according to Snyder, was to improve the daily lives of Native Americans in tribes across the country through a combination of gifts and educational assistance.

“For too long, the struggles of Native Americans have been ignored, unnoticed and unresolved,” Snyder said in a letter announcing the private foundation. “We commit to the tribes that we stand together with you, to help you build a brighter future for your communities. The Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation will serve as a living, breathing legacy — and an ongoing reminder — of the heritage and tradition that is the Washington Redskins.”

Less than four years after that announcement, the Original Americans Foundation was nearly a million dollars in the red. According to IRS filings, Washington’s contributions to the fund had declined from $5 million in fiscal 2015 to $500,000 in 2018. Even with declining contributions, salaries and operating expenses remained constant at over $750,000 per year. By fiscal 2018, grants to Native American communities had dwindled to barely 7 percent of the charity’s initial grants, and by fiscal 2019, that number had zeroed out entirely.
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/0 ... /24552732/

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

The forked tongue speakers?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:02 pm
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:36 pm

Or as jazz would have to Utah, for that matter.
They were the "New Orleans Jazz" before they moved to Utah, and I believe there may have been a clause in the agreement that the team name HAD to remain the "Jazz" for a specific length of time.  Incidentally, this is the same reason one of the two NBA teams in Los Angeles still bears the name "Lakers"; that too was the team's original name when it was located in Minneapolis before relocating to California prior to the 1960-61 season.

The same thing happened in my home town back in the days of the Continental Basketball Association.  The Louisville Catbirds relocated to my hometown (La Crosse, WI) in 1985, and the new owners were required to retain the name "Catbirds" for at least one season.  Once the time had passed and the team could have renamed itself, most people had gotten used to the name so the owners saw no need to make a change.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?