Washington Redskin's New Name?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Re: Washington Redskin's New Name?

Post by BoSoxGal »

rubato wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:51 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:36 am
Geez some folks really are wedded to the old racist order of things.

... "

Speakng of, where is that asshole racist who hotly and consistently defended the racist mascot?

yrs,
rubato
Apparently there is no bottom with you.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Joe Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:43 am
Few people know this but the Green Bay Packers started out as the Green Bay Fudge Packers.
Possibly because it's not true?

Early on in their history, the Green Bay Packers were the Acme Packers, taking their name from the Acme MEAT Packing Company. Though the original sponsor of the team was the Indian Meat Packing Company, it was under Acme that the team joined the American Professional Football Association (soon to be the NFL) in 1921.

Hmmmm, there were some Native Americans involved there somewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Packing_Company

How about the Washington Green Backs? They spend all that money for us.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Do you know what a fudge packer is?

(tee hee)

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

They are not in Wisconsin; they are over on Mackinac Island.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:08 am
Jarlaxle wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:16 pm
Scooter wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:49 am
"Look, I found a Native American who doesn't object to the name, therefore the otherwise near unanimity of Native Americans who object to such a blatantly racist slur must be wrong."
You mean like the Red Mesa Redskins?

(Red Mesa being 90% Navajo.)
Yes, like that. It's like saying, "hey, here are some slaves that would have preferred never to be emancipated, therefore slavery should not have been abolished."
What nonsense. Equating someone who isn't bothered with a team name with a person who wasn't bothered by being enslaved is just silly.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Clearly there are enough people who are bothered by the prospect of changing it that they are kicking up a fuss about it, and ridiculing those who want to see it changed.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

We're all entitled to our opinion on it...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

We certainly are; I just find it interesting to see so many people so heavily invested in retaining a racist name for a sports team of which the vast majority of them are not even fans.

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

What is "racist" about the name?

Are they saying "Redskins" are weak, poor players, bad sports, not worthy of admiration?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I am saying that "Redskins" is a racist term for Indigenous Americans. In any other context, no one would ever contemplate using it, because it would be recognized as such.

-- Author unknown

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:36 am
rubato wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:51 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:36 am
Geez some folks really are wedded to the old racist order of things.

... "

Speakng of, where is that asshole racist who hotly and consistently defended the racist mascot?

yrs,
rubato
Apparently there is no bottom with you.
You are just NOW realizing that about Ozzie?

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Gob wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:57 am

What nonsense. Equating someone who isn't bothered with a team name with a person who wasn't bothered by being enslaved is just silly.
I figure you would be used to Scooter's over the top histronics by now.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:33 pm
I am saying that "Redskins" is a racist term for Indigenous Americans. In any other context, no one would ever contemplate using it, because it would be recognized as such.
Ok, if the indigenous people have stated they find it racist, I have no problem with that.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Gob wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:32 am
[quote=Scooter post_id=293527 time=<a href="tel:1595169199">1595169199</a> user_id=74]
Ok, if the indigenous people have stated they find it racist, I have no problem with that.
[/quote]

It’s the Native American equivalent of the N word.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Guinevere wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:17 am
It’s the Native American equivalent of the N word.
Ah, so it's OK for them to use the word, but not for me. ;-)

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I wouldn’t say it’s the equivalent of the n word but definitely historically problematic.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

There is no doubt that the term is offensive, but there have been varying poll results that show when it is used in the context of the Washington football team, anywhere from 50% to 90% of Native Americans are not offended by the nickname. Indeed, the 90% non-offended poll by the Washington Post in 2016 squelched the discussion for a few years. The name will eventually change and hopefully this year, because even though Native Americans may or may not be offended by the usage, it is offensive to anyone who cares about treating others with dignity. Once you get past the emotion of having a history with the team, or of seeing this as just another PC hot button, the correct choice on this is obvious.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Maybe the name of the team should be changed to They.

The Washington Theys.

The name wouldn't offend Native Americans and it would promote the self-actualization of non-binary people.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

They? How about "THEM"?

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

liberty

Post by liberty »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:47 am
I just watched the movie Red Tails and I’m a big fan of that option.
That would be a mistake; any connection with a minority group could be twisted into some kind of insult. Then there is the possibility that the descendants of the red tails will demand a yearly payment for the use of their inheritance as they would see it. That would be more trouble and bad publicity if one didn’t pay. It would be best to avoid the possibility altogether.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.