What can we say about virtue signalling?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Darren

What can we say about virtue signalling?

Post by Darren »

I tend to believe male virtue signalers are gamma males trying to pass as beta males in hopes of getting laid. Since I'm not scientist and haven't done a study that's based on personal observation only.

BUT WAIT! There is a study that delves into virtue signalling and what it indicates.

"New study links virtue signaling to "Dark Triad" traits. Being accused of "virtue signaling" might sound nice to the uninitiated, but spend much time on social media and you know that it's actually an accusation of insincerity. Virtue signalers are, essentially, phonies and showoffs—folks who adopt opinions and postures solely to garner praise and sympathy or whose good deeds are tainted by their need for everyone to see just how good they are. Combined with a culture that says only victimhood confers a right to comment on certain issues, it's a big factor in online pile-ons and one that certainly contributes to social media platforms being such a bummer sometimes.

So: Here's some fun new research looking at "the consequences and predictors of emitting signals of victimhood and virtue," published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. The paper—from University of British Columbia researchers Ekin Ok, Yi Qian, Brendan Strejcek, and Karl Aquino—details multiple studies the authors conducted on the subject.

Their conclusion? Psychopathic, manipulative, and narcissistic people are more frequent signalers of "virtuous victimhood."

The so-called "dark triad" personality traits—Machiavellianism, narcissism, and psychopathy—lead to characteristics like "self-promotion, emotional callousness, duplicity, and tendency to take advantage of others," the paper explains.

And "treated as a composite, the Dark Triad traits were significant predictors of virtuous victim signaling."

This held true "even when controlling for factors that may make people vulnerable to being mistreated or disadvantaged in society (i.e., demographic and socioeconomic characteristics) as well as the importance they place on being a virtuous individual as part of their self-concept," the researchers note."

https://reason.com/2020/07/07/narcissis ... i1Zr50JMTI
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

MajGenl.Meade

Re: What can we say about virtue signalling?

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Virtue, thinking about signalling

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I signal virtually every time I turn.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:23 pm
That is a good example but maybe a better one is the ASL interpreter standing behind the speaker at a televised news conference, knowing every tv now comes with close captioning.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Long Run wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:02 pm
TPFKA@W wrote:
That is a good example but maybe a better one is the ASL interpreter standing behind the speaker at a televised news conference, knowing every tv now comes with close captioning.
I suspect you know very little about deaf people or the deaf community; if you did you’d know that for many prelingual deaf people, ASL is their first and strongest language and it is therefore critical to provide them with important information - especially emergency information - in that first language.

This is actually a pretty big issue in the deaf community - you didn’t just experience a gotcha moment. There’s a reason that responsible public officials still employ ASL interpreters and it’s not ‘virtue signaling.’ :roll:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Yes it’s hand signaling
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:33 pm

if you did you’d know that for many prelingual deaf people, ASL is their first and strongest language and it is therefore critical to provide them with important information - especially emergency information - in that first language.
Thanks! Learning stuff is one of the main benefits of coming here. It's not all fun and games.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:39 pm
Yes it’s hand signaling
Ha ha!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Long Run wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:40 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:

if you did you’d know that for many prelingual deaf people, ASL is their first and strongest language and it is therefore critical to provide them with important information - especially emergency information - in that first language.
Thanks! Learning stuff is one of the main benefits of coming here. It's not all fun and games.
Sorry for being short, it’s my permanent state of being at present as I watch our country burning with virus and idiocy.

Even for me, a person who tested at the 24th grade level in reading comprehension while in freshman year high school, trying to catch all the content of captions on a live broadcast that is being captioned in real time is a challenge - there is often a very brief moment to read the text before it leaves the screen to be replaced by new text - broadcasters don’t want the picture covered so they only show fragments of text at a time. For someone for whom English is a second language, reading under those conditions can be challenging. It’s even challenging for many folks whose first language is English but who struggle with reading quickly.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Baby BSG...

Gob

Post by Gob »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Long Run wrote:
TPFKA@W wrote:
I suspect you know very little about deaf people or the deaf community; if you did you’d know that for many prelingual deaf people, ASL is their first and strongest language and it is therefore critical to provide them with important information - especially emergency information - in that first language.

This is actually a pretty big issue in the deaf community - you didn’t just experience a gotcha moment. There’s a reason that responsible public officials still employ ASL interpreters and it’s not ‘virtue signaling.’ :roll:
Ah, some prime virtue signalling, how apt...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Nope, just facts which are easily verifiable by a simple Google search.

Or you could just be as dismissive of differently-abled people as you are of anyone else who isn’t just like you and yours.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BSG--do you know what sort of reading test you had in 9th grade? I was just wondering what 24th grade signifies. Not that I doubt it, but I am interested iin understanding how reading levels were quantified; I imagine there must be a maximum level .

As for use of subtitle closed captioning, I don't know that much about the views of the deaf community, but I can say I see a good number of foreign (non-English) films and I always prefer having subtitles to a dubbed version. When you do it for a while, reading subtitles becomes easy and you can rapidly read even long titles. I imagine this may have more to do with deaf persons wanting persons to communicate in their language than a rejection of subtitles, but it may not be.

I do recall having a trial once where both the parents were deaf and when the rules were settled we had to have two sign language interpreters simultaneously interpreting (since sign language often does not translate the entire statement word for word); in cases where they were translating for one of the deaf parties while on the witness stand, they took turns translating the response into spoken English for the record--on several occasions the interpreters stopped the proceedings so they could discuss how to best translate something. I have examined witnesses through foreign language interpreters, but this was very different as the witness basically had to often repeat the question to be certain (s)he understood it. One day when I have time, I'd like to learn more about communication via sign language and whether this affects the deaf person's reading comprehension so that it's the most effective way for them to communicate.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:14 pm
BSG--do you know what sort of reading test you had in 9th grade? I was just wondering what 24th grade signifies.
This is what I found:
DRA = DEVELOPMENTAL READING ASSESSMENT

Kindergarten: A - 4

1st Grade: 4 - 16

2nd Grade: 16 - 24

3rd Grade: 24 - 38

4th Grade: 38 - 40

5th Grade: 40 - 50

6th Grade: 50 - 60

7th & 8th Grade: 60 - 80
So BSG was at the lowest level of 3rd grade reading skills and at the top level of 2nd grade when she was in the 9th grade.... :mrgreen:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sure Joe Guy, forget that I was in honors English and had read most of Dickens by that point in my life. Yeah, I read at a 3rd grade level.

No BigRR, I don’t recall the name of the standardized test Arizona was utilizing at that time - 1985. It was my sophomore, not freshman year (I misstated) - my English teacher that year is someone I stayed in touch with for most of the last 3 decades, until he headed down the Trumpism path in very recent years. I just recall him putting a lot of pressure on me to be thinking about college, because I’d tested at a post-graduate reading level and was developing very strong writing skills comparative to my peers in the honors track.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Thanks BSG; I was just wondering about 23rd grade which would mean an additional 12 years beyond high school--something PhDs don't even do (8-10 years is usually max). I could easily see it was an advanced level, but I wanted to see how they calculated/defined it.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:12 pm
Sure Joe Guy, forget that I was in honors English and had read most of Dickens by that point in my life. Yeah, I read at a 3rd grade level.
Or high 2nd grade level. Don't blame me. I didn't make up the Developmental Reading Assessment tool.

dales

Post by dales »

It never fails to amuse me how some posters love to point out how superior they believe themselves to be by boasting of how sensitive and intelligent they are.

I'd rather just be a run of the mill average schmoe. :lol:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

It's always good to have aspirations.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:34 pm
Nope, just facts which are easily verifiable by a simple Google search.

Or you could just be as dismissive of differently-abled people as you are of anyone else who isn’t just like you and yours.
\

Or as someone who has hearing loss, which is progressively getting worse, I could see;
Long Run wrote:
TPFKA@W wrote:
Without needing some virtue signalling idiot to come along and try to turn a joke into, yet again, one of her tiresome lectures on how she is so much better informed and virtuous than the joke giver. Seriously, you are so far up your own arse...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”