Masks

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
RayThom

Masks

Post by RayThom »

eddieq, I see where that masked F/P volunteer is from East Greenville. That's fairly close to home.

What is that Paterno t-shirt advertising? I hope it's not a shout-out for the protection of pedophiles.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Masks

Post by Bicycle Bill »

RayThom wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:53 pm
What is that Paterno t-shirt advertising? I hope it's not a shout-out for the protection of pedophiles.
If you check out this website and then compare the logo to the image on the shirt, I think you'll see what that shirt is all about.

And for the record, Paterno wasn't the pedophile; that was Jerry Sandusky, an assistant coach under JoePa.  Paterno's crime, if you want to call it one, was that he allegedly knew of at least one incident and did not immediately blow the whistle and throw Sandusky under the bus — so he got tarred with the same brush.

However, it is still the Paterno name; he has been found guilty in the court of public opinion of being a no-good pedophile-enabling son-of-a-bitch; and since he is dead and cannot defend himself, let's go ahead and piss and shit all over any of the good things he might have accomplished during his career and tenure as a member of the Penn State faculty/athletics program ... and still continues to accomplish even after his demise.  A third of a million bucks for Special Olympics is nothing to sneeze at.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

RIP, Sir Pterry.  I have one of his last books ("Raising Steam") and I am purposely putting off reading it, since I know that once I finish it there will be no more. Image
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Interesting. I’ve never read his books.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:16 am

RIP, Sir Pterry.  I have one of his last books ("Raising Steam") and I am purposely putting off reading it, since I know that once I finish it there will be no more. Image
-"BB"-
I know what you mean. I've never managed to get into Terry Pratchett, despite being told numerous times by my daughter that I have to. But I felt the same when Patrick O'Brian, author of the Aubrey-Maturin novels (e.g., Master and Commander) died. I had 'Blue at the MIzzen' on my shelf for a couple of years before I could bring myself to read it.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

RayThom wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:53 pm
eddieq, I see where that masked F/P volunteer is from East Greenville. That's fairly close to home.

BB got it - the shirt is from the Paterno Family Beaver Stadium Run, which is an annual event to raise money for the Special Olympics of PA (SOPA). I ran "virtually" this year and even made their event kickoff video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59oQr0PtV90 - I show up around 18:40 - The footage I sent in (if you care to see it) is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwDATMInYoE

And yes, Volunteer FF - Fire Police Officer with EGFD. It's a quietish town. We run roughly 200 calls annually give or take. I think we did near 230 in 2019. I always tell the "smoke eaters" that I'm too old to go charging into burning buildings so I prefer to stand in traffic where it's safe. The photo was actually from an event at my church where our retiring pastor was treated to a "drive through party" and I was just keeping the traffic flowing in the lot.

RayThom

Masks

Post by RayThom »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:42 am
... And for the record, Paterno wasn't the pedophile; that was Jerry Sandusky, an assistant coach under JoePa.  Paterno's crime, if you want to call it one, was that he allegedly knew of at least one incident and did not immediately blow the whistle and throw Sandusky under the bus — so he got tarred with the same brush.

However, it is still the Paterno name; he has been found guilty in the court of public opinion of being a no-good pedophile-enabling son-of-a-bitch; and since he is dead and cannot defend himself, let's go ahead and piss and shit all over any of the good things he might have accomplished during his career and tenure as a member of the Penn State faculty/athletics program ... and still continues to accomplish even after his demise.  A third of a million bucks for Special Olympics is nothing to sneeze at.
BB, I did not need to be lectured nor instructed on Paterno's participation in the Sandusky child sex scandal. By geography, and by people who I know with a deeper knowledge into these crimes, I was close enough to get first hand updates. Ergo, I was completely aware of what was transpiring in near real time.

Like it or not, JoPa participated in the abuse of young children if only by keeping his mouth shut while Sandusky was honing his pedophilic skills. "Omerta" comes to mind. I'm glad the outcome was for Penn State to do as much as they did to "ghost" not only Sandusky but also Paterno. Unfortunately, JoPa's musty spectre still roams the halls of Old Main.

I am sad to see JoPa's name is still connected to Special Olympics events. Kids with special needs were exactly what Sandusky found to be easy prey.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Bravo RT!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

RayThom wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:00 pm
I am sad to see JoPa's name is still connected to Special Olympics events. Kids with special needs were exactly what Sandusky found to be easy prey.
Not sure if they are getting around it by calling it the "Paterno Family" run, but "JoPa" wasn't specifically mentioned. I believe his wife is a big organizer.

That said, since it's on the grounds at the University Park campus and includes Beaver Stadium and the SOPA Summer Games are always held there, there is no escaping JoPa's name and legacy attached to it.

I participate in the Summer Games as an official and I ran to raise money for the SOPA cause. Beyond that, I have no affinity for JoPa. He was involved by not speaking up when he should have and that tarnishes his legacy no matter how it's spun.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

When the mask came off, Paterno's almost saint like image came crashing down. While the Sandusky matter was the worst, there were plenty of other coverups of his players' minor and major crimes and college code violations. No doubt he was an effective coach and did good things, but at this point, those contributions fall into the "otherwise, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln" file.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Guinevere wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:58 am
Oh, you must!! Do try, start with one of the "Witches" series. "Lords and Ladies" perhaps.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I purchased and read the first Discworld book this year. Imaginative and entertaining, fey and whimsical, arch and eccentric, but one is enough. I'd have to sell the kids, the car and most of my property to afford all 49,000 volumes.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:42 pm
I purchased and read the first Discworld book this year. Imaginative and entertaining, fey and whimsical, arch and eccentric, but one is enough. I'd have to sell the kids, the car and most of my property to afford all 49,000 volumes.
The man wrote a lot, but he certainly wasn't THAT prolific.  Hell, I think Louis L'Amour or Zane Grey have a more extensive bibliography.
And if you count sheer gloss-your-eyes-over verbiage, I think Michener tops them all.  Although I did enjoy "Chesapeake".
-"BB"-

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Gob wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:41 am
Guinevere wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:58 am
Oh, you must!! Do try, start with one of the "Witches" series. "Lords and Ladies" perhaps.
I prefer the City Watch ones, but i like 'em all.
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:42 pm
I have every one of them, and they only take up 2 shelves of my bookshelf.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

datsunaholic wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:13 pm
Must be the bookshelves at the end of the Universe (to reference another "interesting" work) :D

Mind you, since each book is about 16 pages long, one can probably make the space OK. They do cost about $10 per page though
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

datsunaholic wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:13 pm
I don't need to worry about bookshelves or room.  I know how to use L-space.
-"BB"-

Gob

Post by Gob »

I've got an orangutan, who is definitely not a monkey...

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

We have a Tan-u-orange who definitely is

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:31 pm
We have a Tan-u-orange who definitely is