I see you

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: I see you

Post by Econoline »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:55 am
...the "Alphabet Brigade" (the LBGTQIAXYandZ crowd)...
One simple, easy-to-remember, easy-to-pronounce version I've seen (from a man who is "G", no less) is QUILTBAG.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

Guinevere wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:25 pm

“Telling” them is essentially a lecture on why you think you are right and they are wrong.
Wrong! Telling them is me informing them why I chose not to use that word. If they do not want to know, I am happy not to tell them. I'm amazed that you can try to twist;
"Truth of the matter is, I will call anyone by whatever they choose to call themselves, but if requested by Squigglypantyfarthobgobblin to call them "they" I will politely decline, and explain why,
into me "lecturing" them, poor show on your part that is.

Funny isn't it how them telling me they wish to be called "they" isn't a lecture?
Guinevere wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:25 pm
Again - its not about conforming, it’s about being respectful to the person.
It's perfectly easy to be respectful of a person, without conforming to their desire to adopt a silly name. I respect, greatly, Meade, though I find his religious views silly, and do not feel the need to show those views any respect.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Apples and grapefruit, Gob - which is a ridiculously silly name, but no one here seems to object or have a problem using it, or refuse to do so and “explain” why.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Guinevere wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:24 am
Apples and grapefruit, Gob - which is a ridiculously silly name, but no one here seems to object or have a problem using it, or refuse to do so and “explain” why.
No, not "apples and grapefruit" at all. They are both choices based on belief, neither of which it is compulsory to respect.

If anyone wishes to refuse to use my nick-name on this board, I'd be happy to hear why.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

So far as I'm concerned. a 'gob' is either a slang term for a sailor or an indeterminate amount of something — a gob of phlegm.
So if he wants to use a nom de plume that equates himself with a loogie (although I'll be damned if I'd know why), that's his business.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Slang for "mouth"

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

At the grand old age of 13, I approached the main desk of the Jackson County (Missouri) Public Library and asked for "The Kinsey Report on Sexual Behavior of the Human Female". It had been published recently and I had heard discussion of it on various radio programs. The nice lady on the other side of the desk informed me that this book was reserved for adults and I would have to bring in a parent to check it out for me.

OK. I went to the card catalog and found its dewey decimal system number. Then I went into the stacks looking for it. Not there. BUT ! there was a book with a similar number and title on '. . . Human Male'. I sat down on the floor below the book, pulled it out and began reading.

After about an hour, I put it back and went home. I repeated this visit to the stacks several times until I had read or skimmed the entire book. I learned that 'normal human sexual behavior has no objective meaning. If the statistical meaning of 'normal' is applied, there is a wide range of behavior and it certainly cannot be called 'binary'. If a wider definition is applied: "behavior by consenting adult(s) that does not result in physical or emotional harm" the spectrum is very wide indeed.

More recently I have become aware of medical knowledge that has generally been limited as not for general distribution, that visible sexual equipment of newborns is not always clearly distinguishable and a little discrete surgery in the delivery room makes filling out the paperwork on the birth certificate simpler.

For these and other reasons, I have accepted the current fad of disclosing one's name with a series of pronouns attached in paraenthesis.
Thus I am Snailgate (he, him, his) This goes right along with a lawyer who informed me that my legal name is whatever I say it is. I can legally declare it is spelled s-m-i-t-h and pronounced as snailgate.

Personally, I still regret that common usage has highjacked the meaning in the Webster's Unabridged 2ed for 'gay'.

snailgate