A question about pit bull dogs

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
TPFKA@W

Re: A question about pit bull dogs

Post by TPFKA@W »

Scooter wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:25 pm
You could have a pack of dachshunds biting at your ankles and be able to send them airborne with a good kick. A pitbull might rip off your foot.
Unless they (dachshunds) trip you then you might be in some trouble.

I wonder how many dachshunds it would take to equal a pitbull ?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The 'official' name of the pit bull is the American pit bull terrier.  By extension, then, EVERY form of terrier — a dog bred to be wiry, game, and fearless, originally intended to hunt and harass vermin — are suspect ... even those fluffy dust-mops that lost their handles, a/k/a Yorkies.  You never know when a group of those little rascals might turn rogue and attack the baby.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Pit bulls are the result of crossing terriers with bulldogs, from which they get their muscularity and heft. So no, "every" form of terrier, some of which weigh as little as two pounds, is not "suspect".
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

In 2014 a pack of chihuahuas terrorized a town in the southwest. I am on mobile or I would post a link.

dales

Post by dales »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:50 pm
The 'official' name of the pit bull is the American pit bull terrier.  By extension, then, EVERY form of terrier — a dog bred to be wiry, game, and fearless, originally intended to hunt and harass vermin — are suspect ... even those fluffy dust-mops that lost their handles, a/k/a Yorkies.  You never know when a group of those little rascals might turn rogue and attack the baby.
I'll be sure to keep a sharp eye on my Jack Russell Terrier - never can tell what she might do!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

With enough bites to the right places, even a small dog could theoretically kill an adult human - but the notion of a Yorkshire terrier or Jack Russell terrier killing an adult human being of reasonable health and strength is pretty ludicrous. They have tiny mouths and bite strength PSI far lower than a bully breed or Rottie or GSD, the primary killers of adult human beings.

Not hard to choose which ones I’d like to be bitten by.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

To address the other point - ANY DOG of ANY BREED is unsafe around a human infant. Period. I lose my mind with anger when I read about yet another infant ripped to shreds by a family dog, including golden retrievers on the list of dogs who’ve killed babies. And yes, a Jack Russell could easily kill a human baby and also a Yorkie. Babies are fragile and easily broken. It doesn’t take much of a bite to sever a baby’s windpipe, or much biting to exsanguinate their modest blood volume. Babies make sudden and unpredictable movements and they shriek and cry at random, sounding very much like prey animals, particularly rabbits. This triggers a deep instinct in even the nicest family dog and that instinct is to explore that soundmaker with the best exploratory tool that a dog possesses - its mouth. It takes only a minute of canine instinct meets human infant to end in horrific tragedy. Parents who leave infants and dogs together alone - and even parents who place babies next to dogs for cute Facebook pictures - are negligent parents, period. They may get lucky and not end up with a mauled or killed infant, but it’s luck - any dog is capable of mauling or killing a baby.

When I see those darling photo shoots of baby laying next to full grown canine, at least a few arms length from baby’s human caregiver, I shudder. A great many of them contain dogs giving all the body language that an experienced canine behaviorist knows just screams I AM NOT COMFORTABLE IN THIS SITUATION AND I AM FIXING TO BITE - but far too many people are entirely clueless about canine body language and facial language. In fact, it is this shortcoming that is responsible for most poor dog/human interactions that occur even with breeds that aren’t selectively bred for aggression.

Most humans expect dogs to behave like humans, or at best like Disney cartoon dogs. As in many other fields, there is actually a shit ton of sound science on animal behavior - I’m not talking the Cesar Milan TV dog trainers, but the folks who research and study dogs and have documented for us what dogs are telling us via the many universal signifiers that all dogs share. But like much science, this is rejected by many people who just think they know better than the scientists and nobody can tell them what their dog is trying to tell them.

So babies and kids and grandmas and healthy adult men and women will keep getting bitten and mauled by dogs in situations that are 100% preventable. Stupid human tricks.

By they way, as is discussed at length in the research paper I linked a few posts back - the very thing that makes pit bulls and other bully fighting dog breeds highly dangerous is that they more often than not DO NOT exhibit all the signs of escalating anxiety, anger and aggression that most other dogs will exhibit thus giving knowledgeable adult humans time to react and respond before a dog attacks.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Here ya go! https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/how ... id=3708968

My favorite part:
(And to those who claim that humans' anxiety about pit bull attacks is fostering an environment where pit bulls are subliminally encouraged to attack: I will not discuss matters of human culpability and mind-reading pit bulls because YOU ARE INSANE.)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:25 pm
Here ya go! https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/how ... id=3708968

My favorite part:
(And to those who claim that humans' anxiety about pit bull attacks is fostering an environment where pit bulls are subliminally encouraged to attack: I will not discuss matters of human culpability and mind-reading pit bulls because YOU ARE INSANE.)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks for posting that piece, which I read along with the companion followup that addressed the insane responses from rabid pitbull advocates.

One reader comment to the companion piece stood out, as it is basically the nightmare scenario that haunts my mind:
I was visiting Seattle over the weekend and found a copy of The Stranger and read the article "How To Defeat Someone Made Furious....Pitbull" This is my true story: on June 8, 2009 my two dogs and I set out on our daily 1 1/2 hour walk up in the hills by my house. This is the same path, by the same houses I have done for many, many years. Only, this morning we were viciously attacked by a pit bull who charged out of an open door. 90 lbs. Smokey, the Pit went for Goldy, my 14 yr old male Chow/Shepherd, all 45 lbs of him. My screams of distress brought out 16 neighbors, some from 2 streets over. Upon realizing the the pit's owner had no control over her dog, I tried to pull him off, lifted his back legs, hit him, etc., to no avail. I pleaded for someone to get me a hammer, shovel, knife, brick, anything I could use to stop the dog from killing my dog. Yes, I would have killed the pit. Blood, fur and tissue were flying from Goldy's face, neck and head injuries and I shall never forget the fear in my elderly dog's eyes as he fought for his life. This went on for 10 minutes. No one would assist in supplying me a weapon and by the time my old Goldy fell, overpowered and exhausted, on his back, the pit went in for the kill; the now unprotected jugular vein. I could no longer look and asked the 'big guy in the sky' to make it quick. I could not bear to watch the end. I am told that out of nowhere, the pit owner's adult son uncrossed his arms and got over Smokey and pulled or spread his lips apart from his cheek area and the grip was released. Goldy got up and ran, limped home with me and my Weimerimer 2 year old girl puppy running, sobbing behind. Goldy survived minus his ear that couldn't be saved and 1 month in the hospital and $2700 of medical bills. The pit owners did not pay and in fact, ran out on their rent. I now carry a knife, mace and a realization that weak, careless owners and agressive, territorial dogs are more common than I had previously known. I apprciated your article. When the attack is happening and you are weaponless, your suggestings might be the only chance you have to save your life, a child's, or in my case my old senior citizen Goldy. He is now 15 years old and continues to like nothing better than to take his daily walk up the hill. I hope this helps the ridiculous assholes understand it could happen to them. What would they do if confronted with this nightmare?
Signed, A dog lover
For all the naysayers in this thread talking about how statistically rare it is to be killed by a dog attack, do you love your dogs that you walk and would you like to watch them torn apart and killed by an aggressive dog? Look up the stats on THAT.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

As we all know, "shit happens".  And sometimes shit happens to good people.  And that's the name of that tune.

I'm sorry for you, BSG, that you feel that your life should be so sheltered and swaddled in cotton padding and bubble-wrap that absolutely nothing bad will ever happen to you.  It just don't work that way.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:40 pm
As we all know, "shit happens".  And sometimes shit happens to good people.  And that's the name of that tune.

I'm sorry for you, BSG, that you feel that your life should be so sheltered and swaddled in cotton padding and bubble-wrap that absolutely nothing bad will ever happen to you.  It just don't work that way.
-"BB"-
You are a classic example as you seem to have been dropped on your head repeatedly.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

What a fucking moron you are BB - do you just go through life oblivious and taking zero common sense measures to protect yourself from any of the multitude of bad things that can happen to you?

Horrible things HAVE happened to me in this life, you piece of shit. I’m not so stupid to not use my good sense and intelligence to protect myself as much as possible from any other horrible things happening, many of which CAN be prevented.

You really are a waste of oxygen and an obnoxiously hateful prick. I am entirely unsurprised that you will die having never been wanted by any woman.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Bill’s girlfriend:
Attachments
C7290DCC-08ED-4E1B-8CE3-A4E299C9ED60.png

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

If she could cook and fetch beer, she'd be perfect.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:46 am
If she could cook and fetch beer, she'd be perfect.irh
Well she is an airhead so no one would question why she is with you. Sounds like the girl of your dreams. Or Bill’s.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:28 am
Well she is an airhead so no one would question why she is with you. Sounds like the girl of your dreams. Or Bill’s.
I think I'd name her Airica.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

To answer the question that began this thread: BSG, get a Taurus Judge, load it with .410 shot shells and carry it.

The brown and white dog at the top of the pictured dogs about 12 posts above this one is NOT a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They have a maximum weight of 37 pounds. There is some trait in most American dog breeders that drives them to to go for bigger and bigger. The first family dog 'we' had, more than 55 years ago was a pure bred Brittany. She now could not be legally registered because the standard today calls for a much bigger dog. The 'police dog' of my youth was a proto-typical german shepherd, perhaps the best known example being Rin-Tin-Tin. American police and miiltary avoid them as service dogs. BECAUSE the American Breeder has made them too damn big. They prefer a Belgian Malinois, which is actually the European German Shepherd with a different name to keep them separate from the American version.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I beg to differ; APBTs are AKC standard up to 60lbs, but the standards aren’t followed by many breeders these days whose target audience is buyers who prefer monstrous dogs. The one pictured below is 174lbs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 62629.amp

(He would never hurt a fly, of course.)

If you do a Google search for mega pit bull, you’ll find that there are an alarming number of breeders specializing in monster sized APBTs for the discerning (psychopathic or profoundly stupid) owner.

APBTs of the AKC size are quite capable of killing a human being as it is, but these super sized monsters are even more so. And they are becoming alarmingly common, because they command a high puppy price. Which of course always drives poorer breeding practices.

eta: I think we are talking different breeds, anyway. Here’s a chart of the various pit bull breed dogs - Staffordshire terrier is as small as you indicate, but that’s not an American Pit Bull Terrier, the dog I’m primarily talking about, nor its equally popular cousin the American Bully. Americans are obsessed with massive portions in food and murderous dogs as well.

~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

Americans are obsessed with massive portions in food and murderous dogs as well.
Don't forget big titted women.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My hero!

Note the POS pitbull owners all bent out of shape that the neighbor killed their dog which had trespassed on the neighbor’s property MULTIPLE TIMES to attack their sweet golden.

Pit bull owners are as psychopathic as their dogs.
~ Carl Sagan