Luck of the Irish..

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Luck of the Irish..

Post by Gob »

Kevin O'Brien blazed the fastest century in Cricket World Cup history as Ireland pulled off an astonishing victory over England in Bangalore.

He smashed 113 off 63 balls as Ireland recovered from 111-5 to overhaul their target of 328 with five balls to spare and three wickets in hand.

Earlier, fifties from Kevin Pietersen, Jonathan Trott and Ian Bell had driven England to an imposing 327-8.

But O'Brien's stunning assault powered Ireland to a famous triumph.

Only three days after England's thrilling tie with India, Bangalore's M Chinnaswamy Stadium played host to another of one-day cricket's most dramatic encounters as Ireland produced the highest run chase ever at the World Cup.

O'Brien, a 26-year-old all-rounder who had never made a fifty in nine previous World Cup innings, turned the match on its head with a brutal display of hitting featuring 13 fours and six sixes and a partnership of 162 with Alex Cusack.

Dropped on 91 by England captain Andrew Strauss, he went on to reach his century off 50 balls, 16 fewer than the previous tournament record set by former Australia opener Matthew Hayden.
FASTEST WORLD CUP CENTURIES
50 balls - K O'Brien v Eng 2011
66 balls - M Hayden v SA, 2007
67 balls - J Davison v WI, 2003
72 balls - Kapil Dev v Zim, 1983
72 balls - A Gilchrist v SL, 2007
And although O'Brien was run out in the penultimate over, John Mooney was on hand to smash the first ball of the last over for four and spark delirious celebrations in the Ireland camp.

"To see any team win from that position is quite something but when they are the underdogs it is something truly special,"
said BBC Cricket Correspondent Jonathan Agnew on Test Match Special.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/9410478.stm
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Re: Luck of the Irish..

Post by Sue U »

Gob wrote:
Kevin O'Brien blazed the fastest century in Cricket World Cup history as Ireland pulled off an astonishing victory over England in Bangalore.

He smashed 113 off 63 balls as Ireland recovered from 111-5 to overhaul their target of 328 with five balls to spare and three wickets in hand.

Earlier, fifties from Kevin Pietersen, Jonathan Trott and Ian Bell had driven England to an imposing 327-8.

[etc. etc. etc.]
The words appear to be in English, but have no discernible meaning as far as I can tell.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Fantastic game, eh Gob? One of the advantages of living in SA is I get to watch cricket on the silly free TV stations. I've enjoyed the England/India game - sweat bullets. Today's fantastic show by Ireland was one I'm glad not to have missed - and sorry about the result. From 118-5 to beat 328 is amazing, whoever does it.

England really misses that Irishman - Owen Morgan. Hey! Wait a bi... Owen? Morgan?? Bring on the Welsh team - England might be able to take 'em. Tomorrow we have SA vs the Dutchers - starts at 5:30 a.m. here I think (although does that make any sense?)

Oh Sue.... join the real sports world and give up that hopeless rounders game! Not to mention netball.

Weeping
Meade
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Meade, we find ourselves on the same page, and singing with the same choir, at last!

I must say I am envious of your ability to watch the matches. We'd have to pay Murdoch to watch them here, and I will not give money to that scumbag...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Oh yeah, some Cricket on the tube, some Leonard Cohen on the stereo....

That's living baby.....

Set me up with that combo and you could perform a heart transplant on me without anesthesia....

Just out of curiosity Meade....

Is there anything toe curlingly boring that you don't like? :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

He always replies to you Jim? Must like you. :P

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

I'm pretty sure he hates tofu; everybody hates tofu...

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Lord Jim wrote:Oh yeah, some Cricket on the tube, some Leonard Cohen on the stereo....

That's living baby..... Set me up with that combo and you could perform a heart transplant on me without anesthesia....

Just out of curiosity Meade.... Is there anything toe curlingly boring that you don't like? :mrgreen:

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

are you saying something about Scooters backdoor Meade?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Nice catch CP...

That went right past me....
ImageImageImage

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Watching cricket, it's enough for me to give up sobriety. :lol:

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I get the impression it has that effect on a lot of the people who watch it, oldr... :D
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Crackpot wrote:are you saying something about Scooters backdoor Meade?
Is it toe-curlingly boring?

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

No, it tain't ;)