Flagging

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Flagging

Post by Gob »

Adele has been slammed for cultural appropriation after donning a Jamaican flag string bikini top to mark the cancelled Notting Hill Carnival.

In a picture shared to her Instagram, the songstress, posing in the garden of her $9.5million Beverly Hills home, wore her hair in Bantu knots leading some to slam the choice as 'insensitive'.

The hairstyle - small, coiled buns secured against the side of the head - is associated with people of African descent.

Some claimed the Rolling in the Deep singer was profiting off black culture by sporting the style - along with a Jamaican flag-themed yellow, black and green halterneck top.

Others rushed to her defence, claiming it wasn't offensive and she 'just wanted to show off her epic weight loss'.

Adele, who celebrated in the garden of her Beverly Hills home, captioned the post: 'Happy what would be Notting Hill Carnival my beloved London.'

The carnival - an annual celebration of Caribbean culture - moved online for the first time this year amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Flagging

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Would someone tell me just what a person is supposed to wear so as not to "appropriate" someone else's culture or otherwise piss off the masses?  Not every black person runs around in an Afro and a dashiki, or wears cornrows or 'Bantu knots' (and if I had never learned that those things have a name I would have gone to my deathbed still feeling that I had enjoyed a rich and full life), any more than every Japanese wears a kimono or robes with Tanto swords and practices karate, or all Mexicans wear a serape and a sombrero, or all Chinese eat with chopsticks.

Anecdotal history claims that the first pair of denim trousers (jeans) with riveted pockets to relieve the stress points was fashioned by Levi Strauss, a German immigrant, in California (a part of America) during the 1849 gold rush. That may or may not be true, but the fact remains that he and his partner were awarded a patent on them in 1873.  Therefore, as an American of German descent, I hereby serve notice on the world that denim trousers (jeans) are quintessentially German-American and that anyone who is not an American of German descent is not permitted to wear them as THEY are appropriating MY culture.   So there, damn it!!
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Frightening looking woman, eh?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It looks like the coiled buns on her head are too tight.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Not her best look. To avoid comparisons, I tend to avoid mirrors these days.