Is it me, or?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Guinevere

Re: Is it me, or?

Post by Guinevere »

Nope, not becoming marxist. Reading to learn, but Angela and her editor (a frenchman named Frank Barat) are so pro-Palestine/inian as to read anti-Semitic. They scold Israel for fomenting terrorism, but never Palestine or the PLO. Similarly, they scream about neoliberals/ism (a word I despise) and the god of capitalism and individualism, but never once critique conservatives or libertarians. It is getting old quickly.

That being said, some of her comments are spot on, and while not prescient, even more relevant today than in 2016. Or, underscore how little has changed.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I got some gift cards to Stop & Shop from Butler Hospital where I participated in a Brown University Medical School research study into exercise and depression last year. (Conclusion: regular semi-vigorous exercise treats depression as well as if not better than SSRIs/SNRIs in the long term treatment/management of depression. Duh.)

Anyway, I don’t usually shop there so on top of the frustration of navigating a totally different store was the surprise of meeting Marty, the store robot who roves around looking for spills on the floor so he can protect the store from slips & falls and the customers from harm. Danger Will Robinson, pickle juice spill on aisle 7! He’s actually cute, has funny googly eyes.
4B1A2325-297F-408B-9B06-D97EF2F9A681.jpeg
The highlight of the trip was stumbling on 72 CENTS per pound chicken thighs!!, limit 2 packs per person - I scooped up two and have 4 new curry recipes in mind to use them in. And lots of Indian basmati rice I found at Job Lot for a steal deal.

It’s the little things in life enduring fucked up Covid19 middle age watching the planet burn . . .
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sorry my pictures aren’t posting the right direction, I have no idea why.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:10 am
I notice it's rotated 90° to the left.  Given your leanings in the same direction, how were you ever able to tell?   :nana
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Perhaps, life recently flashed "TILT!" :shrug

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

DA6582C7-D832-4EF9-A190-47DD1C332E06.jpeg
Coconut curried chicken thighs
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Looks delicious, and that is a great price for chicken thighs.

I have noticed lately that grocery store prices for poultry seem to be falling rapidly. Boneless skinless chicken breast is on sale this week for $1.29/lb at one place, $1.39 up the street. A couple of years ago $1.99/lb was a great sale price. Now I can get it all the time at a "regular" price of $1.69 to $1.89. Farm-raised fish is also getting cheaper: really nice fresh Atlantic salmon fillets are down to $6.19/lb, from $7.49-$7.99 just a year ago; tilapia is regularly under $5/lb.

And cooking can be a fun activity to brighten your mood if you like trying out new dishes and practicing your chef skills -- especially if you're getting deals on groceries.
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I hate to say it my friend, but eating farm-raised fish is the equivalent of eating CAFO mammals. Wild caught, please (and grass fed mammals).
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Guinevere wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:16 pm
I hate to say it my friend, but eating farm-raised fish is the equivalent of eating CAFO mammals. Wild caught, please (and grass fed mammals).
Not anymore, at least not if you buy BAP-certified fish (which I do). There has been a (snert) sea-change in the industry over the last several years. I am actually more concerned about depletion of ocean fisheries than I am with the remaining issues of farmed fish.
GAH!

rubato

Post by rubato »

BoSoxGal wrote:

You are sideways and you don't know why?

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

rubato wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:50 am
BoSoxGal wrote:

You are sideways and you don't know why?

yrs,
rubato
:lol:
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:17 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
I notice it's rotated 90° to the left.  Given your leanings in the same direction, how were you ever able to tell?   :nana
-"BB"-
The logical equivalent is 270 degrees to the right, or "clockwise"

yrs,
rubato

rubato

Post by rubato »

Sue U wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:21 pm
Guinevere wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:16 pm
Not anymore, at least not if you buy BAP-certified fish (which I do). There has been a (snert) sea-change in the industry over the last several years. I am actually more concerned about depletion of ocean fisheries than I am with the remaining issues of farmed fish.
Farm raised fish is the future. The Japanese have finally figured out how to raise bluefin tuna although I don't know if it is economically viable.

Wild caught fish will always be available to the rich snobbiste, and it will always cause extinction of wild stocks except in the few areas which are effectively regulated. In season I get local wild salmon, which is well regulated, but year-round there is farmed steelhead from Chile which is fantastic, and cheaper. Cooks about the same as fresh salmon and much better and more fresh than the Atlantic wild salmon.

yrs,
rubato

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Wild caught fish supports my local fisherpeople and local markets and is subject to severe catch limitations. It has nothing to do with snobbery and everything to do with supporting local industry.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Guinevere wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:16 am
Wild caught fish supports my local fisherpeople and local markets and is subject to severe catch limitations. It has nothing to do with snobbery and everything to do with supporting local industry.
Don't mind Ozzie...he projects his own faults on others.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

There's a John Cleese film called Clockwise where he plays a teacher in the Basil Fawlty mold who finds his best laid plans are being thwarted at every turn. Eventually he fumes: "It's not the despair, I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."

I'm not quite there yet...but I'm rapidly approaching this emotional state of mind.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

A good film, but really was cashing in on his Basil Fawlty role.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Darren

Post by Darren »

What a thread! Sorry to see the gloom.

I'm preoccupied with the fields of goldenrod blooming in the area. Such a sight!

Joe Pye has already come and gone. I saved some seeds for the yard. Soon I'll plant a few Linden trees to support bees in the future along with some Catalpa tree seed I'll plant for the same purpose. I may have missed out on seed from Ironweed which is sparse in the area.

Out of a package of Butterfly Weed I found at Walmart, two plants emerged. They both have two sets of true leaves. Those will go where the Echinacia did not thrive while the new Echinacia will go to a different spot. The Bergamot out did itself this year by spreading. Lots of insects approved.

I'm waiting for the Milkweed pods to brown and I'll collect a few for the yard.

I was fortunate to find a barely used electric tiller for $60 instead of paying the retail $200.

The front yard was wilded a few years ago. Goldenrod emerged as the dominant species. I read someplace there are 150 kinds of Goldenrod. Someone has a lot of patience and attention to detail.

I'll weedwhack a long narrow patch by the fence and use the tiller to prep it for Zinnias for next year. More for the bees.

I've yet to trek over to the ex-coal mine area and see how the guerilla seeding did. I may do that soon.

Life is a cycle. Spring is on the way.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Sounds really pleasant, Darren.