Miss Flying, but Still Crave That Great Airline Food?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Miss Flying, but Still Crave That Great Airline Food?

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Airlines Are Selling In-Flight Meals for People Who Aren't Flying —
But Really Miss Eating on a Plane

■ Airlines are offering their leftover in-flight meals to customers who aren't flying, The Guardian reported.
■ Thai Airways, Indonesia's Garuda, and Cathay Pacific have all offered meals for sale, presented just as you'd find them on the plane, the paper reported.
■ Airline suppliers have been left with masses of surplus stock because of the COVID-19 pandemic.  Air-travel volumes are not expected to return to previous levels for years.

Some airlines are offering their in-flight menus for sale as a standalone product to satisfy a growing nostalgia for the experience of air travel, The Guardian reports.  Little trays of sealed plastic dishes, just as you'd find them at 35,000 feet, are being sold by companies including Thai Airways, which has been selling the meals since April, the newspaper reported.  Aerofood ACS, the company that makes dishes for Indonesia's national airline, Garuda, is offering its meals as takeout, and airport workers can buy in-flight meals from Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific, according to the paper.

The coronavirus pandemic has hit airlines hard, leaving them with surplus stock and a need to bring in money however they can.  The International Air Transport Association said in late July that the industry was not expected to recover until 2024 at the earliest.  Of the flights that are operating, many have forbidden eating as a hygiene measure, a further blow to the companies that supply food to airlines.

The situation has led several airlines to sell their surplus in-flight goodies in other venues, the paper reported.  GNS Nuts, which supplies American Airlines, was left with 30,000 pounds of excess food in storage, and has resorted to selling nuts online at what it called "near-cost" prices.  Qantas has sold $18 "care packs" including airline dressing gowns, cookies, and sleep masks.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

dales

Re: Miss Flying, but Still Crave That Great Airline Food?

Post by dales »

I suppose if they donated the food to charity it might be considered "crimes against humanity".

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Until you've been on a crowded Air India flight with chicken curry at 35,000 feet, you are not entitled to comment on airline food.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I don't know, having eaten far too many dinners of partially desiccated lasagne or chicken coated with some sort of nondescript fruity, sweet goo, I think I might have welcomed curry. Those dinners also helped solve the gas shortage.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:25 pm
Until you've been on a crowded Air India flight with chicken curry at 35,000 feet, you are not entitled to comment on airline food.
I flew air India when I was in high school, first trip to Europe. The food was fabulous and I don't recall any negative issues. Well except I got into trouble for taking pictures and have a great picture of a man raising his arm shouting, "Don't take pictures!" If I can find it I will post it.