Up In Smoke

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
dales

Up In Smoke

Post by dales »

August Complex Fire threatens Emerald Triangle, U.S.'s largest cannabis region
Mike Moffitt
, SFGATE
Sep. 14, 2020

The largest wildfire in California history took aim at the largest cannabis-growing region in the United States on Monday.

The August Complex Fire, created when several lightning-ignited fires merged into a single conflagration, has cut a fiery swathe across five counties. So far, it's blackened nearly 900,000 acres, more territory than the entire state of Rhode Island.

Now its westward march threatens the celebrated Emerald Triangle marijuana farming region, only a few weeks away from peak harvest time.

“There are thousands of folks that migrate into Mendocino, Humboldt and Trinity counties every year, and they are not familiar with the territory let alone a massive wildland fire knocking at their door,” said state Sen. Mike McGuire per the Santa Rosa Press Democrat. McGuire represents the North Coast.

The fire reportedly skirted the community of Kettenpom in southern Trinity County, burned the ridges outside Covelo in northern Mendocino County and is pushing toward Alder Point in Humboldt County. It was only 28% contained as of Monday.

Mendocino County Sheriff Matt Kendall told the Press Democrat that while Covelo has an official population of about 1,500, more than 10,000 people live and work on surrounding cannabis farms at this time of year. He worries that a fast-moving blaze could overtake workers before they have time to evacuate.

The cannabis business is a multi-billion-dollar industry in California, and this year’s record-breaking fires and smothering smoke pollution will no doubt affect at least part of the crop.

Kristin Nevedal, executive director of the International Cannabis Farmers Association, based in the Humboldt County town of Garberville, told GreenState in 2017 that the delicate, fragrant flower buds begin to bloom right at the height of fire season.

“Especially when it’s ripe — I can tell you from personal experience, wildfire definitely will make your cannabis have a smoky flavor to it; just like wine,” said Nevedal.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Re: Up In Smoke

Post by BoSoxGal »

That’s depressing on many levels.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:06 pm
Yeah — the price of weed will go up, and you'll have to pay more for yours.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:46 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:06 pm
Yeah — the price of weed will go up, and you'll have to pay more for yours.
-"BB"-
You’re such an asshole BB. Do you have any idea how many veterans in the USA are this side of suicide still only because of their medicinal use of cannabis? Not to mention millions of people with painful chronic illness.

Beyond that, the human beings who farm those crops, the millions of woodland creatures who live in the forests surrounding the grows, etc. all facing potential death/destruction.

But yeah it’s just me worrying about my wallet because I’m a shallow dick like that.

You’re a bastard, you really are. Fuck right off.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

On the bright side i’m Sure the’ll attract a lot of volunteer firefighters
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:55 pm
You’re such an asshole BB. Do you have any idea how many veterans in the USA are this side of suicide still only because of their medicinal use of cannabis? Not to mention millions of people with painful chronic illness.
Of course I know people with painful chronic illnesses, but a large number of them need/use something far stronger than 'a spliff a day to keep the pain away'.  As for "veterans this side of suicide still only because of their medicinal use of cannabis" — that sounds more like dependency to me.  And until the various states starting passing their various marijuana laws in the twenty-teens, there was absolutely no way for any of these people who needed medical marijuana to be able to get it legally.

Bullshit.  Most licensed doctors, including even dentists, have the authority to prescribe scheduled narcotics and other drugs — including alcohol and marijuana — and have had the ability to do so for decades.  But that doesn't fit your narrative, does it?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Marijuana was and continues to be Schedule I (along with LSD and heroin), which meant that it was deemed to have no medical benefit, and thus could not be prescribed or even researched. As opposed to, say, cocaine, which is a Schedule II, deemed to have a high risk of abuse, but which is acceptable for certain medical purposes. Classifying marijuana as Schedule I was a result of reefer madness and had no scientific legitimacy whatsoever.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

dales

Post by dales »

What Scooter said.

Rx: Delysid.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Every jurisdiction that has legalized medical marijuana has seen a reduction in opiod addiction and OD deaths. Even in jurisdictions where it isn’t legal people have self medicated with cannabis for many years. It is far less dangerous to use in the treatment of anxiety than benzodiazepines which are legal and kill people and even than SSRIs/SNRIs which are legal and cause a significant number of people to commit suicide or homicide such as to have black box warnings on many such drugs. There has never been a documented case of death by OD of marijuana, and other than the engagement in illegal drug trade itself, there is no clearly established correlation between use of marijuana and violent propensity as there is with alcohol and several other drugs (cocaine, methamphetamine, ice, spice, etc.).

When people use marijuana to treat the dozens of acute and chronic illnesses it treats effectively are they dependent? Yes, as much as they would be dependent on any Pharma toxin a doctor prescribes instead - but they have far fewer risks of side effects.

Obviously someone was reefer madness brainwashed as a child and can’t get past it; too bad but it is laughable to think you have any standing to criticize a veteran for using cannabis to cope with PTSD from being made to kill children in Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever. Fuck right off with that bullshit.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:34 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:55 pm
Of course I know people with painful chronic illnesses, but a large number of them need/use something far stronger than 'a spliff a day to keep the pain away'.  As for "veterans this side of suicide still only because of their medicinal use of cannabis" — that sounds more like dependency to me.  And until the various states starting passing their various marijuana laws in the twenty-teens, there was absolutely no way for any of these people who needed medical marijuana to be able to get it legally.

Bullshit.  Most licensed doctors, including even dentists, have the authority to prescribe scheduled narcotics and other drugs — including alcohol and marijuana — and have had the ability to do so for decades.  But that doesn't fit your narrative, does it?
-"BB"-
You're so full of shit your breath stinks.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BB--Marijuana (cannabis) is still a Schedule 1 drug on the DEA list, which means it has no known medical use and cannot be prescribed (just like heroin). Some states permit it to be prescribed, or even sold over the counter, but this is till contra to federal laws. Indeed, many marijuana growers avoid the use of banks for fear of the feds seizing their profits.
Last edited by Big RR on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

There is no known medical use for Cannabis. By law, the federal tax money cannot be used to fund research into medical use of Cannibis. All medical studies that are not funded by the feds, are clearly biased and not to be taken as authoritative or even informative. Sound familiar? If only we would do less Covid19 testing, we would have fewer cases.

And thank you BSG, for your kind words about veterans. https://mission22.com/home

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sure, it sounds familiar; but the sad thing is it has been that way for decades under many administrations.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Sadly, Big RR, I agree. Personally I have been high on weed once in my life, when I was in an Olds convertible with the top up and the five others in the car were all toking. Tobacco I have never used for any thing. Ethanol, a little many years ago. My drug of choice is caffeine.

I expect the political endorsement from Scientific American will change no votes. In politics on all sides "we make our own reality."

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Burning Petard wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:53 pm
There is no known medical use for Cannabis. By law, the federal tax money cannot be used to fund research into medical use of Cannibis. All medical studies that are not funded by the feds, are clearly biased and not to be taken as authoritative or even informative. Sound familiar? If only we would do less Covid19 testing, we would have fewer cases.

And thank you BSG, for your kind words about veterans. https://mission22.com/home

snailgate
Presumably this is sarcastic and you’re aware that cannabis has been extensively studied in many other countries and peer reviewed research studies have proved it to be therapeutic medicinally for numerous applications.

I highly recommend this text to anyone with an open mind and questions about marijuana’s usefulness to human society. Understanding Marijuana
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:03 pm
BB--Marijuana (cannabis) is still a Schedule 1 drug on the DEA list, which means it has no known medical use and cannot be prescribed (just like heroin). Some states permit it to be prescribed, or even sold over the counter, but this is till contra to federal laws. Indeed, many marijuana growers avoid the use of banks for fear of the feds seizing their profits.
Technically it cannot be “prescribed” because so doing violates federal law. Medical marijuana users have a card which authorizes purchases, which is signed off by a physician in accord with state law and regulations. But it is not a “prescription.”
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I think that's right, Guin, thanks. I guess it is more of a physician's order for the drug, as only approved drugs, and medical devices and services are "prescribed".

rubato

Post by rubato »

There is a large glut of marijuana on the market. Prices will not go up. And if someone really needs it it is easy to grow.

Federal drug laws are insane all over.

yrs,
rubato

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Of course there is always the asshole who has never dealt with chronic pain who then runs his mouth in judgement.

I, for one, plan to stay as stoned as possible upon retirement. Anyone got a good recipe for brownies?