Kentucky State Police training slideshow

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

Kentucky State Police training slideshow

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

KSP used, for an unknown (so far, at any rate) period a slide show called "The Warrior Mindset" during training. This was unearthed by student journalists at a local high school. You can read their report, which is excellent, here and the NYT take on it here.

The headline of the student piece, 'KSP training slideshow quotes Hitler, advocates ‘ruthless’ violence' sums it up. The Hitler quote is towards the end; on the way the author quotes Truman, Robert E Lee, Tolkein, Einstein, Bruce Wayne (aka Batman), Emerson, MacArthur and many more. The slide show is rife with misspellings and grammatical howlers and errors of fact (e.g., the 'man in the arena' quote was Teddy Roosevelt, not FDR) but to me the most shocking thing is not the Hitler quote (really, how fucking thick do you have to be to quote Hitler approvingly?) but the whole skein of this thing. Among the unattributed quotes is 'The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence' which maybe sums it up. [Actually I did a quick search to find the originator and that is also Hitler. Boggle boggle. Edited to add: the authors of the piece also noted this quote as being his: I missed that.]

The author was one Lt Curt Hall. Presumably retired and living on a fat pension somewhere.

Darren

Re: Kentucky State Police training slideshow

Post by Darren »

That's very interesting. While on the surface it could be explained as an effort to prepare trainees to protect themselves by being vigilant it demonstrates the divide, Us vs. Them, contributed to by the War on Drugs. The War on Drugs has been one of the primary factors fostering corruption in all its forms in this country,

I was surprised that the Minneapolis police policy manual contained the technique used by Chauvin to restrain Floyd. I suspect a review of law enforcement training materials would find commonality throughout the country,

I'm curious if the MMPI is still used to select law enforcement candidates with a propensity for aggressiveness.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!