I'll take "People who will be missed" for $200, Alex

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Guinevere

Re: I'll take "People who will be missed" for $200, Alex

Post by Guinevere »

I’ve been watching the replacement hosts, this this is my take:

I predicted Ken Jennings would ultimately be the permanent replacement. I think his performance supports him coming back to the job, if he wants it. I found him utterly charming, although it took me a while to get used to his soft and somewhat squeaky voice, But by the end of his stint, I thought even that worked.

I cannot stand, and did not like producer man at all. I thought he was smarmy and forced. Please go back behind the cameras.

I’m neutral on Katie Couric. It seems clear to me she’s doing this for the week only, as a fundraising effort, because of her relationship to the pancreatic cancer fight. She lost her sister to pancreatic cancer, and Jeopardy is donating whatever amount the daily winner earns, to the cause.

I cannot imagine even being able to watch Dr. Oz.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I agree that Ken Jennings has been very good.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Is there any word on whether LeVar Burton might give it a go?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

There has been lots of buzz about him taking over permanently, but he isn't among the guest hosts that have already been announced.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Dr. Oz was more tolerable than I would have thought.

Aaron Rogers's monotone drone is going to put me to sleep before 2 weeks are up.

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Scooter wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:51 am
Dr. Oz was more tolerable than I would have thought.

Aaron Rogers's monotone drone is going to put me to sleep before 2 weeks are up.
First Katie Couric as interim "Jeopardy" host, then Dr. Oz, and now Aaron Rodgers?  Good God, who's next, Danica Patrick?  Whoopi Goldberg?

Hey, I heard Donald Trump's available, and he's got game-show experience besides!

Hell's bells, maybe I should have submitted my own name.  Sure, I'm a nobody, but until he became the face of "Jeopardy" after taking over the moderator's podium in 1984, what else is/was Alex Trebek known for?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

It has been a step down from Ken Jennings to the others, and I really didn't think Ken was that good. FWIW, I think future guest hosts include Anderson Cooper, Savanna Guthrie, Miyam Bialek, and Dr. Gupta. It appears they could do a lot worse than Jennings.

FWIW, I don't think hosting Jeopardy is all that difficult, but the biggest challenge is to make it about the show and not about you without being too boring or pedestrian. Most of the guest hosts appear to have forgotten that.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:16 am

Hey, I heard Donald Trump's available, and he's got game-show experience besides!

Contestant: Answers the question correctly
DJT: Well, that's wrong.
Off screen judges: Uh, Don, no that's right
DJT: No, it's wrong, see? It even has the correct answer on the card <Shows answer card with sharpie "corrections">

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I vote for Jeremy Paxman. He hosts the UK University Challenge series, where every year teams of four students from UK colleges face off in a trivia contest. (Trivia is the wrong word - maybe general knowledge is a better expression.). The final was last night - it's always broadcast on Monday and some kind person puts it on YouTube within a few hours.

Obviously it's a bit Brit-centric but I reckon 90% of the questions are general - science, music, world geography, philosophy, ancient history - and many of the contestants are foreign students including one guy last night from Wichita.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:55 pm
many of the contestants are foreign students including one guy last night from Wichita.
Well it doesn't get much more foreign than that.
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

:lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Former Tournament of Champions winner Buzzy Cohen guest hosted this year's Tournament of Champions, and did a pretty good job, I think. His style is a bit more animated, but to my mind never in a way that detracted from the game. Pretty natural delivery for someone not in the "business". I could happily watch him as a permanent host.

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Now we finally have the Final Jeapardy clue and question: The Executive producer, Mike Richards. the right question: Who is the new official host?

I suspect the search for the replacement for Alex Trebeck began before it was announced that he had cancer. This was a long process, under the direction of the boss, the executive producer. After many guests and behind-the-scenes interviews and meetings the new Host is: The Boss.

Is it ever revealed just who are the judges? I hope the new host will revert to the tradition that people are a Who, not a What.

Snailgate

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I am guessing that the current champion begins every response with "what" so as to not waste a moment's thought on what the "proper" form of the question should be. Or it might be a strategy to throw off his competitors (if so, it would appear to be working). Those who are getting anal about why he doesn't begin questions referring to people with "who" should ask themselves why they don't get upset about those who don't begin questions about a place with "where" or questions about times/dates with "when".

As to the hosting choices, Mike Richards and Mayim Bialik were my favs among the guest hosts, so I'm happy with their selection.

-- Author unknown

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

With the world as it is, this was a trivial decision.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I really did not like Mike Richards, so I’m disappointed he is the choice. Mayim was good, not great. Ken remains my fave, followed by Geordie LaForge.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

So you question the answer.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

agree with Guin; I also didn't mind Aaron Rodgers (at least he was better than Richards), but time will tell itf the game wins out and I keep watching. FWIW, it could be worse; I saw an episode of the college bowl (a remake of the old GE college Bowl) and they have two hosts, including one for comic relief. I'd abandin jeopardy in a second if it came to that.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I think that would run against the philosophy that the host should not be the "star" {that honour belonging to the contestants and the knowledge to be gained by the audience). I think that his status as a GOAT worked against Ken Jennings in that respect. Aaron Rodgers's football career probably worked against him in a similar way, even though I agree that he did a creditable job.

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The producers should have gone with the clear fan favorite, LeVar Burton. I didn’t watch the try outs, but I have no doubt that any awkwardness he might have displayed in those shows would have worked itself out and the internet outcry seems to be very clear that the majority of Jeopardy fans wanted him.

Instead we get the whitest of white guys with a documented history of sexist behavior on the set of a prior game show, and a woman with a history of antivaxxer commentary AND statements suggesting that if women dressed and behaved more modestly they’d face less sexual harassment. Oh joy! Are they only concerned with the Trump base who watch the show?

I sure won’t be watching anymore - the show died with Trebek as far as I’m concerned.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan