I quit

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
TPFKA@W

I quit

Post by TPFKA@W »

I put in my notice today. I, like so many, have had enough. My husband is retiring and I am not sure whether I will rejoin the rat 🐀 race after the holidays or not. My last day will be on the 23 so I will get to enjoy the holidays for the first time in decades.

Wheeeeee!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: I quit

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I've been toying with the same decision for about a year now.  Working from home makes things a little more bearable, but the people I am forced to deal with over the phone are just getting nastier and nastier as time goes on... and maybe it's just me, but so many of them are just so effin' dumb besides!  Add the fact that I am already able to claim Social Security, and there's no need to work 40 hours a week dealing with these arschlochs.

i don't really need the money — although I can always find a use for it! — but the paid vacation time, healthcare benefits, and other performance incentives are a plus.  So I'm going to be talking to the HR people to see if they'll let me cut down to 30-32 hours per week (6 per day x 5, or 8 per day x 4, or maybe even 10 per day but only work 3 out of 7); otherwise I might be putting in my retirement/resignation notice by the end of the year as well.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

liberty

Post by liberty »

I also have enough that I don’t have to work either, but if I did quit I think I would die. I get more out of my job than just money. There is something about doing a good job that is almost as important as money. However, I am at the age that the company might do a forced retirement. But I still perform as well as many of the kids in the company forty years younger than me. My job is safe as long as it is up to my manager; he says he hopes he retires before I do. But if I have to retire from the company, I will have to find something else; life is about struggle; if you quit struggling, you die.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Congratulations @W. Enjoy your life.

You’ve earned it.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

My friend Nak van de Merwe says that "being on pension" is the best job he ever had. I can but agree. Enjoy the breathing space, the lack of stress (well, most kinds), and the silence when the alarm does not ring. Good fortune to you!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

liberty wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:32 am
But if I have to retire from the company, I will have to find something else; life is about struggle; if you quit struggling, you die.
If you want a struggle, struggle to correct that severe case of cranio-rectal insertion you seem to be suffering from.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Congratulations @W, welcome to the club.

I was ever so lucky to be able to retire at 58 yrs old, I've never looked back.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Good for you and congrats, @w! A very merry Christmas indeed!
Last edited by Sue U on Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Liberty--there are many other opportunities available to people who "don't need the money" on a volunteer (or low pay) basis; you can still get the satisfaction of a job well done, but can also do something you really want to do that makes a difference in some area you are concerned with. I am looking at retiring from full time work some time in 2021, and am exploring some other opportunities to permit me to continue working in other areas. There are so many different things one can do when you don't have to rely on your job for income or health insurance. I'm also looking forward to cutting back on my workload so I can use some of the time I have left to do things I've always wanted to do while I still have the health to do so.

@W, best of luck to you. One of my friends who is a nurse retired and is doing private duty work 2-3 days a week.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

My husband and I are talking about doing meals on wheels and things of that nature. I expect that I will go back to work but at a different pace. Not in rehab or hospital.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:16 pm

@W, best of luck to you. One of my friends who is a nurse retired and is doing private duty work 2-3 days a week.

That's an odd definition of "retired"!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Congrats @W. I suspect you will be a retiree who is too busy to go back to work.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I held out 'til I was 72+ because the SS checks are much bigger that way. But also because the health benefits at work were much better that the SS system and my wife had some serious health problems. But business cought on to this and now you have to take the SS medical with your employer as secondary.

Best of luck to TPF and Liberty. I hope both of you make the decision that is best for you.

BB, you have my sympathy. It is a tough thing to deal with the reality that half the population has an IQ of less than 100. I got lucky and found an industry that seriously punishes 'average' performance and not much interface with the general public.

snailgate

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Congrats @W, seems like a great decision.

Pretty sure that makes you a geezer now, though :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

You’re just jealous. Of my geezerness. I don’t think lawyers ever retire do they?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Guinevere wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:02 am
Pretty sure that makes you a geezer now, though :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Get off my lawn, you whippersnapper!
GAH!

No Greater Fool

Post by No Greater Fool »

Congrats @W, hope you enjoy your retirement whatever shape it morphs into.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Gob wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:14 pm
Big RR wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:16 pm

That's an odd definition of "retired"!
For some, "retirement" is a cutting back on work hours, not a total ending of employment. This may be by choice or economic necessity.

@W
I don’t think lawyers ever retire do they?
Nah, it's not a job, it's a way of life; we continue to be pains in the ass(es) until we die. :D

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:36 am
You’re just jealous. Of my geezerness. I don’t think lawyers ever retire do they?
I think BigRR covered it. :mrgreen:

Merry happy jolly!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Guinevere wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:07 pm
TPFKA@W wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:36 am
I think BigRR covered it. :mrgreen:

Merry happy jolly!
I'd love to retire, but I've still got kids I need to put through college. Even so, I'm not jealous; I've got plenty of geezeryness of my own.
GAH!