I quit

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
MGMcAnick

Re: I quit

Post by MGMcAnick »

I've been thinking about it, but for the most part I have FUN at work every day. As long as I'm ABLE, I make enough to pay my expenses, and have FUN, shouldn't I stay at it?
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

That’s the problem-covid has made things almost unbearable. The patients have become verifiable prisoners in their rooms. There’s little fun to be had and the twice weekly nose swabbing-ugh. My resignation has been twice rejected by upper management with some begging thrown in, because nurses are hard to come by. Come the 23rd I am gone. *Snoopy happy dance*

Gob

Post by Gob »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:39 pm

For some, "retirement" is a cutting back on work hours, not a total ending of employment. This may be by choice or economic necessity.

We'd call that "going part time" rather than retirement.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:30 pm
My resignation has been twice rejected by upper management with some begging thrown in, because nurses are hard to come by.
How can they "reject" it?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Gob wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:23 pm
TPFKA@W wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:30 pm
My resignation has been twice rejected by upper management with some begging thrown in, because nurses are hard to come by.
How can they "reject" it?
They just say that they are not accepting it. There is no actual ability to reject such a thing. They hope one will be flattered into changing one's mind. One is not.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

13th Amendment makes that clear. But I am sure her employers did more incentivizing to encourage her to stay on.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Having recently had close up dealings with a whole lot of nurses, I can say I don't blame you for wanting to retire. Those who took care of me were some of the most dedicated ladies I've ever seen. (The only guy was mediocre at best.) I honestly don't know how they do it,12 hour days dealing with some very sick people, some of whom may not make it.

Just like they say to veterans: Thank you for your service.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:39 pm
Having recently had close up dealings with a whole lot of nurses, I can say I don't blame you for wanting to retire. Those who took care of me were some of the most dedicated ladies I've ever seen. (The only guy was mediocre at best.) I honestly don't know how they do it,12 hour days dealing with some very sick people, some of whom may not make it.

Just like they say to veterans: Thank you for your service.
What I have been doing for the last 4 years isn't even close to what they have to do. I cannot even imagine working intensive care now. Whatever stress and irritation, plus inconvenience I felt I was suffering theirs is 100,000 fold. My job is a walk in the park by comparison. I am too old and too burnt out at this point to even consider that type of work.

ETA: Male nurses and aides are generally completely worthless. I think they get into the field thinking that since it is traditionally "women's work" that is will be easy and then they refuse to put any actual effort into it. There are those few rare gems who are wonderful to work around.

Gob

Post by Gob »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:28 pm

They just say that they are not accepting it. There is no actual ability to reject such a thing. They hope one will be flattered into changing one's mind. One is not.
Wow, weird!!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Gob wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:22 pm
Big RR wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:39 pm

For some, "retirement" is a cutting back on work hours, not a total ending of employment. This may be by choice or economic necessity.

We'd call that "going part time" rather than retirement.
I guess we call it retirement if you are collecting your pension/social security as well as working part time.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I think because in America you can be financially ruined by medical costs and lose your retirement nest egg, many folks are inclined to keep their hands in an income earning situation after leaving full time employment.

For some it’s just a true passion to work, but in my experience I’d wager most would be happy to leave work entirely and pursue other passions if they weren’t worried about the prospect of financial ruin following significant healthcare event.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

The biggest problem with that is that, given hospital and other medical costs in the US, very few could make enough to make a dent in the cost of any serious event; the best part time work might do is to give someone additional money to cover pharmaceutical costs not covered by medicare optional coverage (such as in the donut hole), or for long term nursing care for a disabled relative (which are generally not covered by medicare or private insurance). Most of the personal Chapter 7 (liquidation) bankuptcy petitions I have filed were for catastrophic medical costs, often well over $100,000 (and even in the multiple hundreds of thousands in a few cases); even for people who have assets, the general progression is the first crisis takes most/all of your assets, the second one bankrupts you. Medicare and Part B (or the medicare advantage plans) cover a lot, but not everything and the costs can mount (and going out of network with an advantage plan, even in an emergency, can eave you personally liable for significant costs). There are ways to try and protect yourself, but the sad fact is that many of us are just one catastrophic medical event away from financial ruin.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Gonna hafta pay out of pocket. I am lucky to have married a savvy man who has me financially covered. I am sorry for those who are stuck.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:33 am
liberty wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:32 am
But if I have to retire from the company, I will have to find something else; life is about struggle; if you quit struggling, you die.
If you want a struggle, struggle to correct that severe case of cranio-rectal insertion you seem to be suffering from.

-"BB"-

Why did you say that Bill? Is it that I value freedom above all else, even this country. To you, this country is some sacred vestment of God, but to me, it is merely an instrument for the protection of freedom for everyone; yes, even people like you who don’t deserve it. People like you and Comrade Sue that supported the communist don’t deserve freedom, but you get to enjoy it while others made the sacrifice for it.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

liberty wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:17 pm
People like you and Comrade Sue that supported the communist
:loon :loon :loon :loon :shrug :shrug :shrug :loon :loon :loon :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
GAH!

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Big RR wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:57 pm
I guess we call it retirement if you are collecting your pension/social security as well as working part time.
So what if I work full time and draw my so so security and pensions from two large members of corporate America? Am I retired and just don't know it?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:50 pm
Big RR wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:57 pm
So what if I work full time and draw my so so security and pensions from two large members of corporate America? Am I retired and just don't know it?
You are taking a job from a millennial you old boomer fart! :mrgreen:

liberty

Post by liberty »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:58 pm
liberty wrote:
:loon :loon :loon :loon :shrug :shrug :shrug :loon :loon :loon :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Do you deny that you praised communist China doesn’t that make you communist; what if someone praised Nazi Germany would you approve of that? Communist China is Nazi Germany on a massive scale. China is using slaves to raise cotton in western China. And you advised your children to go there and become part of the system.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:45 am
You are taking a job from a millennial you old boomer fart! :mrgreen:
I was talking the a millennial just the other evening. He was asking questions about becoming my competitor. I explained he'd have to start with a quarter million dollars. Then he could stay in a business like mine until it was all gone. Like I said, if I weren't having fun...

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

liberty wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:41 am
Sue U wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:58 pm
liberty wrote:
Do you deny that you praised communist China doesn’t that make you communist; what if someone praised Nazi Germany would you approve of that? Communist China is Nazi Germany on a massive scale. China is using slaves to raise cotton in western China. And you advised your children to go there and become part of the system.
And England allied with Russia to fight Nazi Germany in 1941 when they signed the Anglo-Russian Agreement (and later the Anglo-Russian Treaty in 1942) after the Germans launched Operation Barbarossa — documents which the US also acknowledged.  According to your pretzel logic then, since they were fighting a country (Germany) that was fighting against Russia (which had already gone Bolshevik/Communist in 1923, following the Russian Civil War), that makes both Churchill and FDR 'Commie symps', and all those WWII veterans 'communists' too, right?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?