Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT
ANY SIMPLER AND PLAINER THAN THIS

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Lightly edited respond I made on Facebook

People treat the concept of using turn signals the same way they treat vaccines: either something that may save yourself or others from a very bad outcome, or a major inconvenience that exposes you to an inappropriate amount of oversight by possible bad actors in an attempt to control your life.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Forcing me to drive on the right side of the road is an infringement of my basic rights to self determination and self expression.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:11 pm
Good to know that so many pilots for Southwest are total idiots - I’ll scratch them off my future airlines list.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

Vaccination doesn't stop you shagging love...

ESPN has fired Allison Williams for refusing to abide by the company's COVID-19 vaccine mandate.

Williams had announced last month that she would not be getting the vaccine because she and her husband are trying to have their second child, she said in an Instagram video where she addressed her termination.

She was initially barred from working on the sidelines of college football games this season because she refused to comply with the network's vaccine mandate while she and her husband try for their second child.

Williams, who began working at the network in 2011, typically works college football and basketball games, but missed Week 1 of the ongoing football campaign before making an announcement on Thursday.

In an Instagram video on Saturday, Williams said that her 'request for accommodation' had been denied on Friday night, about a month after announcing she would be sitting the season out because she hadn't yet received the vaccination as she and her husband tried for a second child.

Instead, Williams said she will be 'separated from the company' effective next week.

'Belief is a word I’ve been thinking about a lot lately, because in addition to the medical apprehensions regarding my desire to have another child in regards to receiving this injection, I am also so morally and ethically not aligned with this,' Williams said

'And I've had to really dig deep and analyze my values and my morals, and ultimately I need to put them first.'

'And the irony in all this is that a lot of those same values and principals I hold so dear are what made me a really good employee and probably helped with the success that I’ve been able to have in my career.'

The 37-year-old, who has been with the network since 2011, said she was having trouble coming to terms with the fact that the national championship game she covered in January may now be the last college football game she will work.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Colin Powell, has died from complications from Covid-19

Colin Powell, the former US secretary of state who played a pivotal role in attempting to justify the 2003 invasion of Iraq, has died from complications from Covid-19 aged 84, it was announced on Monday.

Powell, a retired four-star general who served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the early 1990s, had been treated for Covid at Walter Reed national medical center in Bethesda, Maryland. He was fully vaccinated against coronavirus.

Announcing his death, his family said they had lost a “remarkable and loving husband, father, grandfather and a great American”.

Powell was America’s first Black secretary of state, serving in that role under George W Bush from 2001 to 2005. Born in New York City, he was raised in the Bronx and educated through public schools before he entered the army.

He rose to occupy the top military position in the US government as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff between 1989 and 1993. In that role he presided over military crises including the invasion of Panama in 1989 and the first Gulf war in 1990-91.

But it was in the build up to the contentious invasion of Iraq in 2003 that Powell became a household name. He was the face of the Bush administration’s aggressive attempt to get the world community to back the invasion, based on false claims of Iraq’s possession of weapons of mass destruction.

In February 2003, as secretary of state, Powell appeared before the UN security council and made categoric claims that the then Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had biological weapons and was developing nuclear weapons. He said his intelligence was based in part on accounts of unidentified Iraqi defectors.

The invasion went ahead without UN authorisation. The following year the CIA’s own Iraq Study Group released a report that concluded that Hussein had destroyed the last of the country’s weapons of mass destruction a decade previously.

Powell stepped down as secretary of state in November 2004, following Bush’s re-election. He later insisted to reporters that he had tried to warn Bush of the consequences of invading Iraq, but had supported the president when the decision to proceed was taken.

In a statement on Monday, Bush called Powell “a great public servant, He was such a favorite of presidents that he earned the Presidential Medal of Freedom – twice. He was highly respected at home and abroad.”

Tony Blair, who as the then British prime minister also backed the Iraq invasion, called Powell a “towering figure in American military and political leadership over many years. He inspired loyalty and respect … his life stands as a testament not only to dedicated public service but also a strong belief in willingness to work across partisan division in the interests of his country.”

After his time in government Powell remained a hugely influential commentator on US politics and public life. Over the years he grew increasingly distanced from his own Republican party, disillusioned by its rightward drift.

In 2008, despite party rivalries, he endorsed Barack Obama for president. When Donald Trump launched his bid for the White House, Powell became one of his leading critics.

He voted against Trump in both 2016 and 2020 and was scathing about leading Republicans who remained silent or actively embraced Trump’s lies. His excoriating criticism of Trump continued until months before he died – in January he said he was so disgusted by the insurrection of Trump supporters at the US Capitol that he no longer considered himself to be a Republican.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I was sad seeing Colin Powell had passed. He spoke at my law school graduation and was a Republican I really admired who did a lot of good in his life. I just wish he’d had the courage of his convictions when we needed it most.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I liked Powell as well. Germane to this topic, he was vaccinated and was the type of person we are most trying to protect with the vaccination/immunization program, i.e., high risk individuals who are still substantially vulnerable even if they are immunized. Those of us who are immunized and reasonably healthy are not quite bullet proof, but at extremely low risk; however, we can easily be a carrier of COVID for brief periods of time during which we can come into contact with high risk people. In any event, history will treat Powell well, we could use more like him.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

He was also treated for multiple myeloma.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colin-powe ... e-myeloma/
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

dales

Post by dales »

"To my great surprise—the Thirteen rules caught on," he wrote, noting their impact. Here are the rules Powell lived by.

1. It ain't as bad as you think. It will look better in the morning.
2. Get mad, then get over it.
3. Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.
4. It can be done.
5. Be careful what you choose. You may get it.
6. Don't let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.
7. You can't make someone else's choices. You shouldn't let someone else make yours.
8. Check small things.
9. Share credit.
10. Remain calm. Be kind.
11. Have a vision. Be demanding.
12. Don't take counsel of your fears or naysayers.
13. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

He was also complicit in putting lipstick on Bush's invasion instead of resigning as would any decent pol.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sadly, he wasn't a decent pol, he was a good soldier. At some point you have to decide who you represent, the person in charge or the people.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

That's just it, he wasn't a Pol, he was a soldier, and they (mostly) follow orders.

He was one of the good guys, but even the god have feet of clay.

And once again - FUCK these goddamn people who won't get vaccinated, who are murdering those with compromised immunity. Lock 'em up. Stick needles in their arms. Or get them the eff OUT of my country.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:05 pm
Lightly edited respond I made on Facebook

People treat the concept of using turn signals the same way they treat vaccines: either something that may save yourself or others from a very bad outcome, or a major inconvenience that exposes you to an inappropriate amount of oversight by possible bad actors in an attempt to control your life.
I am so ingrained about using turn signals at all times that I use them even when I’m on the road alone and have nobody to signal to. Sadly the weird dash electrical issue I’ve been dealing with lately is sometimes triggered by hitting the turn signal, so I’ve been trying to break this 35 year habit of late. Easier said than done.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:08 pm

I am so ingrained about using turn signals at all times that I use them even when I’m on the road alone and have nobody to signal to. Sadly the weird dash electrical issue I’ve been dealing with lately is sometimes triggered by hitting the turn signal, so I’ve been trying to break this 35 year habit of late. Easier said than done.
Is your turn signal switch a 'multi function' switch also turning on wipers, high and low beams et al? If so, it is likely to be the cause of a myriad of electrical gremlins. Find the switch on rockauto.com, for cheap $. It beats sticking your arm out the window to signal turns to keep from using the switch on the column. Some people do not interpret hand signals correctly, except for the one where you use a single middle finger. .
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:24 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:08 pm

Is your turn signal switch a 'multi function' switch also turning on wipers, high and low beams et al? If so, it is likely to be the cause of a myriad of electrical gremlins. Find the switch on rockauto.com, for cheap $. It beats sticking your arm out the window to signal turns to keep from using the switch on the column. Some people do not interpret hand signals correctly, except for the one where you use a single middle finger. .
No I’ve got blinkers on one stem and wipers/spray on another stem and another stem altogether for the cruise control.

I still think the mechanic I talked to online was likely right that all this trouble is from the integration relay that a bunch of dash electrics feed into, however it has not been acting up at all for two weeks now so I’ve yet again delayed taking it to the shop. I did buy a replacement module from eBay because it’s out of production so a used one from a salvage will be my only option when I finally get it replaced. I’m guessing mine has some corrosion but not enough to make it 100% kaput.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

An anti-vaxxer Oklahoma nurse who wrote poetry about the 'plandemic' and 'healthcare genocide' died of complications from COVID-19, after claiming the vaccine killed people.

Steve Shurden, 58, from Tulsa, battled the virus for three weeks and eventually passed away on October 19.

Steve and his wife, Teresa, a vocational nurse, were very vocal on Facebook about their anti-vaccine stances, constantly sharing misinformation about COVID.

Steve also shared his right-wing, pro-Trump, politically charged poetry on a daily basis until his hospitalization on September 28.

After Steve's death, his wife did not seem regretful that her husband chose to refuse the vaccine, which could have increased his chances at survival while battling the illness.

Teresa shared that Steve had 'made it' to heaven and that she wished they had gone together.
"Poetry" like that merits a deaths sentence.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

My son had 2 close contacts last Friday and on Halloween. He got a quick test yesterday and so far so good
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

After Steve's death, his wife did not seem regretful
Sometimes the jokes just write themselves.
GAH!