Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by Joe Guy »

Well, I went ahead and scheduled my 2nd Covid booster for tomorrow afternoon. This will be my 4th Pfizer vaccine, which apparently is exactly the same formula as the other three shots I've gotten. That's the reason I hesitated before getting a 2nd booster. I was hoping they would come out with a new improved vaccine that people wouldn't need to get every few months. But now that I'm seeing in my area of California the infection rate has doubled since last month and I also see 50% or more of customers inside stores are not wearing masks, I'm sure my chances of getting (and possibly spreading) Covid have increased considerably. Oh well....

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:08 am
But now that I'm seeing in my area of California the infection rate has doubled since last month and I also see 50% or more of customers inside stores are not wearing masks, I'm sure my chances of getting (and possibly spreading) Covid have increased considerably. Oh well....
While masks reduce the chances of spread in any given situation, it does appear that the virus is so pervasive that masks on a macro level only can slow the spread of the virus. Still, while I don't care about mask wearing in stores where there is good ventilation, pepple are moving around, and only there 5-10 minutes, there are places such as airports and airplanes that masks make sense. The spread is occurring at bars, restaurants, workplaces, social gatherings, and homes.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I think we have to balance two parameters here, the possibility of getting the virus and the attendant consequences of such an infection. Yes, just like the flu, many people will acquire the virus, but unlike other strains, it does not appear to be as dangerous--infection rates are going up while deaths and hospitalizations are going down. Certainly, taking the precaution of being vaccinated, especially if you have any particular conditions that place you more at risk (ditto for using N or K 95 masks in areas where many people are close together), but I do think we have to get beyond the panc that arises every time infection rates are reported. Either that or we will just see many people completely ignoring any public health requirements or advisories as being unjustified.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'm sure everyone is on pins and needles wondering how my 2nd Covid booster has affected me. For now, 5.5 hours after the injection, other than wasting my evening watching the recorded Johnny Depp trial on YouTube for much too long and wondering why either one of them would want this trial to be broadcast, I've had no other side effects.

So, that's all for now.

Oh yeah.... just one more thing.... if you don't read anything from me here tomorrow, it probably will mean that the chemtrail ingredients that our conspiratorial government has put in the Pfizer vaccination disabled or killed me.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

You need to check your back in the mirror for the seven hairy nipples that will grow. Most people miss them until someone else sees them from behind with no clothes on.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 4:51 am
other than wasting my evening watching the recorded Johnny Depp trial on YouTube for much too long and wondering why either one of them would want this trial to be broadcast,

They're aactorrrss darling... It's what they do...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Scooter wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:07 am
You need to check your back in the mirror for the seven hairy nipples that will grow. Most people miss them until someone else sees them from behind with no clothes on.
This morning I checked and found seven hairy nipples on my back. Are they what is protecting me from getting covid?
Gob wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 6:32 am
Joe Guy wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 4:51 am
other than wasting my evening watching the recorded Johnny Depp trial on YouTube for much too long and wondering why either one of them would want this trial to be broadcast,
They're aactorrrss darling... It's what they do...
Of course! Why didn't I think of that? And I'm sure that at least one of them is doing quite a lot of acting. I'm not going to say which one I'm talking about but I would never hire her.

Gob

Post by Gob »

David Rosner continually talks to colleagues who are distraught about the American response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

“When you are in a school of public health and a public health environment, people really feel when they are failing,” said Rosner, who studies public health and social history at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health.

That defeated feeling is compounded by the fact that 1 million people in the US have died from Covid-19 – the highest Covid death rate among large wealthy countries.

According to public health experts, the virus’s outsized impact on the US can be attributed in part to underinvestment in long-term care, in primary care and in public health departments. As a result, some people were more vulnerable to Covid and had little connection to – or trust in – the healthcare providers who urged them to socially distance, to wear masks and to get vaccinated.

It was a disconnect, they say, that was only exacerbated by misinformation – particularly by Republican leaders’ undermining of scientists’ recommendations.

“This is more than just a failure of a health system,” said Rosner. “It’s a failure of an American ideology.”

More here...

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

We have not had any Covid stuff for a while so here is something to ponder on. Anthony Fauci has been taking stick because he was of the opinion that the disease was zoonotic (transferred somehow from animals to humans) and probably not some dastardly Chinese plot paid for by the foolish and gullible American taxpayer. Daily Mail (colour me surprised!) has been particularly vocal in this.

A paper in this week's Science has this abstract:
Understanding how severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) emerged in 2019 is critical to preventing zoonotic outbreaks before they become the next pandemic. The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, China, was identified as a likely source of cases in early reports but later this conclusion became controversial. We show the earliest known COVID-19 cases from December 2019, including those without reported direct links, were geographically centered on this market. We report that live SARS-CoV-2 susceptible mammals were sold at the market in late 2019 and, within the market, SARS-CoV-2-positive environmental samples were spatially associated with vendors selling live mammals. While there is insufficient evidence to define upstream events, and exact circumstances remain obscure, our analyses indicate that the emergence of SARS-CoV-2 occurred via the live wildlife trade in China, and show that the Huanan market was the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic.. [My underlining.]
I read most of the paper. Much of the statistics is beyond me but it's pretty convincing. They tracked the first 160-odd cases and for many, they were able to find where they lived and crucially, exactly where they worked. And for those who worked at or shopped at the live animal market, they were able to get their locations down to the exact stall (= store) number within the market.

The paper has 19 authors from four states (CA, UT, AZ, MD) plus Canada, Scotland, England, Netherlands, Australia and Belgium.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I got the heavy duty flu shot today. It's the one they recommend for elderly folks. My doctor gave that version to me for some unknown reason. However, the reason for this post is that my doctor told me that he got the latest COVID vaccine and recommended that I get it. He stressed that COVID is so easily transmitted that it's important to keep up to date with the latest vaccine. He didn't have the vaccine at his office so I have to go to CVS or elsewhere.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had the latest COVID vaccine or if you've decided against it. I'm going to get it but I'm not looking forward to expected side effects. The main reason I'm getting it is because it seems that the majority of people I see in public indoors are no longer wearing masks. I realize that masks may not offer great protection but the lack of people wearing them makes me think that people are no longer worried about COVID and are no longer being as careful as they should be. And we're getting to the time of year when COVID cases are no doubt going to increase.

Anyone have thoughts on the subject?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

I got the new Pfizer bivalent booster yesterday. No side effects so far other than some mild soreness at the injection site. Got my flu shot last week.

I don't go many places, but I still wear a mask at the grocery store or the drugstore or any other public venue, except the orchestra, where vaccination is required for all participants. Although probably about a quarter to a third of the orchestra still wears masks at rehearsal.

I don't want to get sick even a little bit, but I *really* don't want "long COVID." I'm probably risking too much going maskless at orchestra, but the fog it creates on my glasses makes it impossible to play.
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Not the wind section I guess
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I got the Pfizer bivalent booster in early September. I planned it for a Friday after work so I could have the whole weekend for the nasty side effects but lo and behold I had very mild soreness at the injection site and a slight fuzzy head when I woke the next morning which cleared up after a jumbo coffee and then I felt perfectly normal the rest of the weekend. Others I have talked to who got the recent booster also indicated lesser side effects from the first course and the first two boosters.

I remain quite careful about covid mostly because I don’t go anywhere. Once a month the library- they took the plexiglass down which I don’t think is fair to the librarians because patrons breathe down on them while checking out books and such and they have no escape but it’s more exposure for them than me and I always order my books online they are ready at the desk so I don’t have to wander the stacks with strangers in close quarters. Grocery store twice a month and I go when it’s low traffic and still social distance much as I can plus in and out in 20 minutes max. Maybe once or twice a month I pop into CVS but that’s off peak hours too. I have only masked recently at medical appointments because it’s required and I postponed rejoining the choir because I felt spring session would be safer.

I just saw a story today about the most vaccine avoidant strains having just emerged. We may wish to be done with the virus, but the virus will never be done with us. I too am very reluctant to ever get any strain having just endured a decade of illness and wanting to avoid long covid on top of the challenges I’m still overcoming.

Dr. Fauci: These 2 new fast-spreading omicron Covid subvariants are ‘pretty troublesome'
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Thanks for the replies. I been staying away from crowds but I can't avoid things like grocery shopping (I don't want them delivered). My plan was that I'd stop wearing a mask when the people working in stores or restaurants stopped wearing them. But I've changed my mind because I figure that other than people who work in health care, the people who work indoors maskless are a lot more likely to have been exposed to COVID than most other people.

I was at Safeway the other day and I saw a guy who was looking at beer and handling and replacing different bottles and six packs while coughing and not even attempting to cover his mouth. He was thoughtful enough to wipe his nose on his sleeve though... :eyes: I got quickly away from that area and it occurred to me that he's likely one of many who do that every day and think nothing of it.

:barf

Some people are either selfish idiots or just plain stupid.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Crackpot wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:57 am
Not the wind section I guess
sax.jpg
sax.jpg (28.33 KiB) Viewed 730 times

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Got the latest Pfizer and the 'regular' Flu--same day one in each arm. No notable discomfort or symptoms, other than the muscle soreness that is always a result. My PCP said this will probably morph into an annual covid shot right along with the flue shot.

Meanwhile, here in American, the richest country in the world, Covid 19 deaths continue at 400 per day, right now. Can you imagine a passenger plane crashing and killing everyone aboard, re-happening day after day until it is not even reported on page six?

snailgate.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue--
the fog it creates on my glasses makes it impossible to play.
I found a good remedy for that; there is an anti-fog wipe called Opti plus that keeps your glasses fog free for hours. Amazon carries it if you are interested.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BP--
the richest country in the world, Covid 19 deaths continue at 400 per day, right now. Can you imagine a passenger plane crashing and killing everyone aboard, re-happening day after day until it is not even reported on page six?
Many diseases, including pneumonia and flu have death rates in the 1000-1200 a week range (and the majority of people are not vaccinated for either, nor are these deaths widely reported--although the statistics are published by the CDC). Covid deaths are declining, but they will likely never disappear entirely; it will just become another thing that can kill you.

Now there are other concerns about covid not seen with those diseases that do need to be addressed, but if the deaths rates keep decreasing like we are seeing, this will not be a bigger concern than many other diseases.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The Guardian has a whole series on long covid - the stories are unsettling at best.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... wheelchair
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Better not procrastinate too long about getting your next booster. The federal government is going to run out of money to provide free covid vaccines early next year because republicans won't approve additional spending on covid treatments or prevention.
Pfizer plans to sell its covid vaccine at a 10,000% markup in 2023
Annalisa Merelli
Sat, October 22, 2022 at 5:25 AM

For over two years now, the US government has purchased all of the covid vaccines administered in the country, in what has become the largest public vaccination campaign in American history.

Those purchases have included more than 500 million doses from Pfizer. The first 100 million cost around $20 a dose, thanks to an earlier agreement in which the US government invested $1.95 billion in vaccine production. The remaining doses were bought for around $30 each.

But once the US government supplies run out (likely in the first quarter of 2023) and covid vaccines and therapeutics are moved onto commercial health platforms, Pfizer is able to hike up the price of its shots.

The company announced on Oct. 20 that it intends to sell the covid vaccine, marketed under the brand name Comirnaty, for $110 to $130 per dose.

This is about four times the current selling price—and 100 times the estimated cost of manufacturing the vaccine.
Story continues here.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God