Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by BoSoxGal »

Here’s some joyful news from the vaccination annals:
High risk of measles outbreak after 22 million babies missed vaccine in 2020

Wed, November 10, 2021, 7:51 PM

During the coronavirus pandemic last year, 22 million infants did not get their measles vaccine, according to data from the World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. As a result, the two health agencies are warning of an increased risk of a measles outbreak.

Although the reported number of measles cases dropped by 80% last year, the CDC and WHO said that the ability to track the disease during that time decreased as resources were diverted to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Large numbers of unvaccinated children, outbreaks of measles, and disease detection and diagnostics diverted to support COVID-19 responses are factors that increase the likelihood of measles-related deaths and serious complications in children," Kevin Cain, the CDC's global immunization director, said in a statement on Wednesday. "We must act now to strengthen disease surveillance systems and close immunity gaps, before travel and trade return to pre-pandemic levels, to prevent deadly measles outbreaks and mitigate the risk of other vaccine-preventable diseases."

Three million fewer babies were vaccinated against the potentially deadly disease in 2020 than in 2019. Overall, just 70% of infants received both doses of the two-dose vaccine, which the health agencies said is far below the 95% threshold necessary to shield communities from an outbreak.

In addition, a measles vaccine campaign that was scheduled in 23 different countries in 2020 had to be postponed because of the pandemic. As a result, more than 93 million people are vulnerable to the disease, according to the CDC and WHO.

"These supplemental campaigns are needed where people have missed out on measles-containing vaccines through routine immunization programs," the health agencies said on Wednesday.

"While reported measles cases dropped in 2020, evidence suggests we are likely seeing the calm before the storm as the risk of outbreaks continues to grow around the world," said Dr. Kate O'Brien, director of WHO's department of immunization, vaccines and biologicals. "It's critical that countries vaccinate as quickly as possible against COVID-19, but this requires new resources so that it does not come at the cost of essential immunization programs. Routine immunization must be protected and strengthened; otherwise, we risk trading one deadly disease for another."

The measles vaccine is highly effective at preventing the disease, which is one of the world's most contagious human viruses. The vaccine has prevented an estimated 30 million deaths in the past 20 years alone. In 2020, an estimated 7.5 million people had the disease and 60,700 people died from it, the health agencies said.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:32 am
Although the reported number of measles cases dropped by 80% last year, the CDC and WHO said that the ability to track the disease during that time decreased as resources were diverted to the COVID-19 pandemic.
And, of course, people stayed away from one another, greatly reducing nearly all infectious disease.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Two brothers who believed Covid jabs were part of a conspiracy to turn people into "unthinking beings" have been jailed for buying a firearm.

Carlisle Crown Court heard Harry Wilson, 24, from Kendal, ordered a Glock 19 pistol which was intercepted by police and replaced with a replica.

In a covert recording heard by the court Ashley Wilson, 27, said: "This is good, innit? Order another."

Judge Andrew Jefferies QC said the response was "excited and immature".

Prosecutor Chloe Fordham told the court the pair "held extreme views about there being a conspiracy by the elite to have the general population vaccinated against Covid in order to infect them with a substance which would kill the God particle in humans and turn them into unthinking beings".

As part of the theory this "elite" wanted to reset the economy, resulting in worldwide food shortages which would require them to defend themselves and their property, she said.

Harry Wilson paid for the pistol, a Glock magazine and 50 rounds of ammunition with cryptocurrency but the parcel was intercepted by law enforcement agencies in the United States.

The UK's National Crime Agency arranged for a dummy package to be sent in its place, which Ashley Wilson signed for at the family farm at Helsington, near Kendal, on 25 August.

Recording equipment was hidden within it and captured the brothers' conversation as it was unwrapped.

The brothers' barrister, Richard Vardon, said it was a "quite extraordinary case".

He described the men as "immature" but with good characters and no previous convictions.

Both admitted attempted possession of a firearm. Harry Wilson also admitted attempted possession of ammunition without a firearms certificate.

Ashley Wilson, who managed the family farm, was jailed for 24 months. His brother, who ran the transport side of the business, was jailed for 30 months.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Site Location

Date and time
Wednesday 24 November at 10:25am
Booster jab booked.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

No Greater Fool

Post by No Greater Fool »

:ok

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

The wife just got her first positive test
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Well the good news is I misunderstood the first test was inconclusive. The bad news is the second was positive

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I hope she has a brief and mild illness with no lasting side effects.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Well it’s bad enough for a nurse to say there’s something wrong we will see.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I’m mostly concerned about my son who just got his first vax dose on Saturday. I’m fully vaxxed (as was my wife) and my mom is fully vaxxed plus booster.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Best of luck to all!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Go Flu?
Flu rips through University of Michigan, bringing CDC to campus to investigate spread

Fewer Michiganders have taken flu vaccines this year compared with the same time in 2020.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/flu-rips-uni ... 32947.html

Gob

Post by Gob »

In hospital, Covid-19 has largely become a disease of the unvaccinated.

The man in his 20s who had always watched what he ate, worked out in the gym, was too healthy to ever catch Covid badly. The 48-year-old who never got round to making the appointment.

The person in their 50s whose friend had side-effects. The woman who wanted to wait for more evidence. The young pregnant lady worried about the effect on her baby.

The 60-year-old, brought to hospital with oxygen saturations of 70% by the ambulance that he initially called for his partner, who had died by the time it arrived; both believed that the drug companies bribed the government to get the vaccine approved.

All severely ill with Covid. All unvaccinated and previously healthy. All completely avoidable.

Of course, there are people who have their vaccinations but still get sick. These people may be elderly or frail, or have underlying health problems. Those with illnesses affecting the immune system, particularly patients who have had chemotherapy for blood cancers, are especially vulnerable. Some unlucky healthy people will also end up on our general wards with Covid after being vaccinated, usually needing a modest amount of oxygen for a few days.

But the story is different on our intensive care unit. Here, the patient population consists of a few vulnerable people with severe underlying health problems and a majority of fit, healthy, younger people unvaccinated by choice. Watching the mix of patients coming in with Covid, it feels to me like hardly anybody has been vaccinated nowadays; of course, this is because the people that have been vaccinated are getting on with their lives at home. If everyone got vaccinated, hospitals would be under much less pressure; this is beyond debate. Your wait for your clinic appointment/operation/diagnostic test/A&E department would be shorter. Your ambulance would arrive sooner. Reports of the pressure on the NHS are not exaggerated, I promise you.

Furthermore, we have recently rolled out a new medication for patients without antibodies against Covid. It costs about £2,000 a treatment and is subject to a rigorous and time-consuming approval process for every case we treat. Guess which patients don’t have these antibodies (spoiler: it’s not the ones who have been vaccinated).

Most of the resources that we are devoting to Covid in hospital are now being spent on the unvaccinated.

Yes, vaccinations are unpleasant. They cause side-effects. They hurt. You may even still catch Covid afterwards. I have many colleagues who have felt awful after vaccination and a few who had to take a day or two off work. However, I have not heard of any who have been hospitalised with Covid afterwards or who have had severe side-effects. The approvals process was incredibly stringent and we now have an unbelievable amount of real-world data that these vaccines work. The science that has been applied here is nothing short of awe-inspiring to me. However, I realise that none of these rational arguments would change the mind of someone who is resolved against having it, although I suppose it may push someone who remains undecided.

As a respiratory doctor, I have spent my whole career treating people whose lung diseases have been caused by smoking, including long after they knew the risks. I have spent countless hours with people who blame themselves for ruining their health; I have thought a lot about our personal responsibility for our health and to what degree we should be held accountable for our choices. I personally – unlike some of my colleagues – have never felt any ambivalence about treating smokers without judgment in exactly the same way as people with diseases that are not seen as self-inflicted.

Enshrined in the way we protect patients’ autonomy is the recognition that others may reasonably make decisions we may see as irrational or wrong. We are all products of our upbringing, education and opportunities, and I have been hugely fortunate that in my case these have led me to make decisions I value. Who is to say I wouldn’t have made different choices in someone else’s shoes.

Translating this to the choice not to take the vaccine, however, I find my patience wearing thin. I think this is for a number of reasons. Even if you are not worried about your own risk from Covid, you cannot know the risk of the people into whose faces you may cough; there is a dangerous and selfish element to this that I find hard to stomach.

Some of my frustration is directed upwards, at the flagrant misinformation flourishing in certain places and the utterly woeful example that our leaders continue to set. I have never heard a reason not to take the vaccine that I have agreed with. Most of all, however, I am now beaten back, exhausted, worn down by the continuous stream of people that we battle to treat when they have consciously passed up the opportunity to save themselves. It does make me angry.

Despite this, I find the idea of NHS and care staff being forced to be vaccinated very difficult. I know that it is the right outcome, but I dislike the means of bringing it about. It is incredible to me that there is so much anxiety and falsehood around that this could possibly be necessary after the year we have all witnessed. How strong is the hold that this information has on people that it outweighs rational thought?

Maybe it’s just that others have not seen what I have recently, or do not believe it, but even now we have nurses on our Covid ward who have not been vaccinated. I just hope that we don’t end up losing yet more staff.

Fundamentally though, for me, it comes down to this. I can’t think of a single case offhand of a person who was previously fit and healthy who has ended up needing intensive care after being fully vaccinated. It may not stop you from catching Covid. But it can save your life when you do.

The writer is an NHS respiratory consultant who works across a number of hospitals

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you get behind the wheel of a car and drive twice the speed, you are putting other people’s lives at risk. You don’t have the right to do that,” she said.

“You are not being discriminated against. You choose to do something that puts other people’s lives at risk. You will be held accountable for that.

“People who don’t get the vaccine have a choice. We all get a choice … You’re making a choice that means you’re more likely to get Covid-19 and spread it, that is your choice, that is your right.

“Having the freedom to choose isn’t the same as having the freedom to avoid the consequences of that choice. You have freedom to make a choice, but if you make a choice, those choices have consequences.

“But you don’t get to decide how the rest of Australia responds to that choice … We have to put others before ourselves.

“Being held accountable for your own actions isn’t called discrimination, it’s called being, you wouldn’t believe it - a goddamn bloody adult.”

https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... cfa0a2944b

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

No but yeah but freedom, ya know?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59363256
Covid: Huge protests across Europe over new restrictions
Tens of thousands of people have been marching in the Belgian capital, Brussels, to protest against anti-Covid measures.

Some protesters threw fireworks at police officers, who intervened with tear gas and water cannon. Demonstrators are mainly opposed to the use of Covid passes, which stops the unvaccinated from entering venues such as restaurants or bars. This comes after fresh protests in the Netherlands against new lockdown rules.

On Saturday, people hurled fireworks at police and set fire to bicycles in The Hague, one night after protests in Rotterdam turned violent and police fired gunshots. Thousands of demonstrators also took to the streets in Austria, Croatia and Italy as anger mounted over new curbs.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Germany’s health minister today issued a stark warning amid rapidly rising Covid cases, telling Germans that by the end of winter everyone will either have “been vaccinated, recovered or died”.

Jens Spahn urged Germans to urgently get vaccinated – or, if applicable, get booster doses – as the country recorded more than 30,000 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours.

Hospitals warned that ICUs were almost full and that some patients were having to be transferred to far-away clinics to be treated, reports the Associated Press.

Spahn told reporters in Berlin: "By the end of this winter pretty much everyone in Germany ... will have been vaccinated, recovered or died."

Admitting that some saw his prediction as cynical, he added: “But it’s true. With the highly contagious delta variant this is very, very likely and that’s why we are recommending vaccination so urgently.”

He said he expects the EU to approve vaccines for five- to 11-year-olds at the end of the week. Children of school age have among the country’s highest infection rates.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Germany’s health minister today issued a stark warning amid rapidly rising Covid cases, telling Germans that by the end of winter everyone will either have “been vaccinated, recovered or died”.
Sounds good to me; maybe death is the backup protector for the rest of us.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I expect the USA to hit a million covid19 deaths by the end of winter/early spring - probably surpass that as we are already almost at 800,000.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

If we do, we'll be down nearly another 200.000 unvaccinated people (not all deaths will be unvaccinated people, unfortunately). I don't celebrate those deaths, but each one brings us closer to a fully vaccinated population (or at least enough percentage to end the crisis). I have unvaccinnated friends and they are making their choices; I don't hope for their deaths, but they have to accept the consequences of their actions.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My sympathies are with the unvaccinated children and even some adults who aren’t able to get the jab because of other humans in their lives refusing to let them. I have no sympathy for the arrogant unvaccinated who keep telling me I’ll be dead in a year from the Pfizer poison I took. Fuck them.
~ Carl Sagan