Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Big RR

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by Big RR »

The main drawback in stretching the second dose out (unless medically necessary for the vaccine) is that it runs the risk of losing the immediacy of acting. If broad initial vaccines starts to reverse things, a lot of people will not want to put up with the problems and inconvenience of scheduling and getting the booster. Face it, once things look like they are turning around, people won't be quite so motivated. All you need to do is to look at the annual flu--it kills tens of thousands Americans every year, yet less than half the people in the country choose to get vaccinated; there are a variety of reasons they advance for why they don't, but the main reason is they do not see it as important (they won't die, others will), and just don't want to be bothered (FWIW, I have been in this same group many times, getting the vaccine if it is offered at work, but otherwise not getting it). Once the covid crisis is alleviated, even a little, I think people will treat the second dose the same way (especially with all the press of the side effects to the second dose being worse); and the failure to get the second dose may eventually cause another outbreak.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Our local paper had an article of a 95-year old woman still waiting to get her vaccination. It is easy to see how you can read this wrongly:

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, vaccine
I'm beggin' of you please don't hesitate
Vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, vaccine
'Cause once you're dead, then that's a bit too late

"I'm old enough to get it. And I'm smart enough to get it."
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I got my second dose a couple of hours ago. It took less than 30 minutes, from the time I pulled into a space in the hospital parking lot to the time that I got back in the car and put it in gear. No adverse reaction last time; no adverse reaction this time (so far).
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

Getting mine tomorrow.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

No Greater Fool

Post by No Greater Fool »

:ok

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Econoline wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:38 pm
I got my second dose a couple of hours ago. It took less than 30 minutes, from the time I pulled into a space in the hospital parking lot to the time that I got back in the car and put it in gear. No adverse reaction last time; no adverse reaction this time (so far).
This is me today (but substitute "state college campus" for "hospital.")
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And it will be me next week; but in a closed Sears store in place of hospital or university.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

A disused former department store doesn’t sound like a good place to be getting injections.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I kid about it, but, actually, it is set up pretty well, and is staffed by a large medical/nursing staff as well as National Guard members. It's just a big open area which is subdivided by screens and solid dividers, probably not that much different from the university gyms and other open spaces used (not to mention that there is a lot of parking. It's not the ideal space, but then there aren't as many sick people there as in hospitals, and there is much more medical support there than in a pharmacy.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Got mine yesterday, very efficient and smooth operation, at Stithians Showground of all places. Given to me by a nurse I used to work with 25 years ago, she had come out of retirement to aid the efforts. Good on her!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I think this is called 'burying the lede' A story in the Washington Post for today, about the guidelines for visits between grandparents and grandchildren contained this tidbit:

"Unlike childhood vaccines, which provide lifelong immunity, the coronavirus vaccines are more like the flu vaccine, which needs to be administered every year and has varying degrees of effectiveness."

Should we sign up now for our third shots?

snailgate

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Burning Petard wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:35 pm
Should we sign up now for our third shots?
As I uderstand it, we may very well need a booster later in the year depending on infection rates and viral mutations. But if the virus can be knocked down now and transmission reduced, we might avoid another round of surges and follow-on vax.

ETA: Now just about 24 hours since my 2d dose and no ill-effects apart from some tenderness at the injection site. Thought I was feeling punky earlier, turned out I just needed another cup of coffee.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

My guess is that they might well be able to include any booster needed in an annual flu shot, but it will depend on storage requirements.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:51 pm
My guess is that they might well be able to include any booster needed in an annual flu shot, but it will depend on storage requirements.
I'm not sure about that. I had a shingles shot back in November and the booster shot was due in February. However, because I was scheduled for the COVID shot, there has to be 4 weeks minimum between it and the second shingles vaccination. Something to do with antibodies fighting each other, so combining it and a flu shot may not be possible.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Possibly, I really know very little about shingles vaccines. However, my understanding is that the flu vaccine is a cocktail of antigens for a number of different flus the authorities believe are most likely to occur in any given year, so they may be able to add a covid booster (but again, I really am not sure).
Last edited by Big RR on Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

"I couldn't get a shingles vaccine. I'm married"

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Just had this discussion yesterday afternoon with a health director and a Board of Health chair. They each believe that we will be dealing with Covid for a long time to come, and that there will be annual boosters required that will likely be delivered as a combined flu/Covid shot.

But no one knows for sure yet.

In any event, getting us all the initial vaccine has to happen first, and we need 70-75% fully vaccinated to get to herd immunity level.

Got my first vax last week, out of the blue. Very thankful. I got Moderna, and had the arm pain, some nausea and fatigue, and a headache. It disappeared within 48 hours, like a switch flipped.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

I got away totally side effects free, lucky me.