Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Burning Petard

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by Burning Petard »

I got the Pfizer in a mass event conducted at three state vehicle inspection sites. There were twenty teams doing the shots where I got it. But no evidence that the state did any plans for the obvious need to do it all again in 21 days.

State enlisted FEMA to help do it again next week, at the Dover Auto race track. The computer site opened at 11:00am. I started hitting the button when my counter said it was time. Clicked abut five times before it let me in. Then I selected a time slot but was kicked back to the beginning. I got in again and went to time slots for the next day. Each of the 15 min slots indicated how many were still open and I picked the one with the biggest number at that time for that day. Success. 26 days after the first one. Instructions specify which parking lot entrance to use and not to arrive more than one hour before the appointment. The first one, I sat in my car inching ahead for 5.5 hours. I got there two hours before my appointment for that one. But I was prepared to wait and it actually was well organized and moving pretty quickly.

snailgate, still wearing a mask and staying home as much as I can.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Very well organized here in Kentucky. A little frustrating with several attempts to set it up on line the first time, probably because I'd pick a slot which appeared to be available, but by the time I'd filled in the details (name, rank and serial number) those slots had gone so I'd have to start again. Probably thousands or tens of thousands on line at the same time. Realized what was happening so I picked a probably unpopular time and got right in. Went, stood in line for 20 minutes, wham bam thank you ma'am. And they set up the second shot appointment there and then.

Second time a shorter line maybe 10 minutes max. No problem. Line was well ordered - those too frail to stand, sat, and their place in line was secure. Everyone well behaved. The only hitch was when they told me to get in line behind the lady in the pink coat. I had to tell them I'm colo(u)r blind so she took me by the hand and led me there. They had taken over an empty storefront (was the Amish furniture place until a few months ago) so plenty of parking. No sitting in cars for 5 hours!!!!!!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Got my 1st shot, 36 minutes from arrival to post-jab observation. Got the Pfizer, will return in 3 wks for 2d dose. NJ National Guard is managing logistics, doing an outstanding job; nice kids all of 'em. Steady stream of people coming thru, they must be doing thousands of shots a day at this site. But we've got nearly 9 million to get vaccinated in this state. I understand Rite-Aid pharmacies are also going to start vaccinations here. The sooner the better.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I feel fortunate that everything about my vaccination experience has been abundantly easy, after just a bit of frustration setting up the first appointment online it’s been all smooth sailing, and to actually get the vaccine was a 20 minute drive to a Walgreens in a neighboring small town that wasn’t at all crowded. While I was there today waiting to be called in for my shot several oldsters approached the pharmacy window who were struggling to get a second appointment scheduled online - they were all directed to return during a window of time in the afternoon when apparently the store manager is personally assisting folks to get those appointments scheduled when they meet up with technology difficulties. That was very nice to hear.

But my good luck has run out a bit, as I’ve just been woken in the wee hours by a really miserable headache, body aches and chills like I haven’t had since the worst flu I ever experienced - I nearly shattered a glass of water I was holding, but managed to pitch myself toward the sink so it fell there instead of the tile floor when my body was hit by by a violent quaking of chills and I started losing my grip on the glass. No fun! Hopefully this won’t last long.

Still worth it though.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

My good friends from Ohio (currently in Fla) hovering around the 70 year antiquity mark, have been trying to sign up in the vaccine "lottery". It's on-line and by phone; was opening at 6 a.m. but now changed to 7 a.m. They and their adult children get on-line plinking away on the keyboard, dial their cell phones, over and over again - one winner every 60 seconds, and then try again, except they haven't even come close to a "win" yet. WTF?

If they were in Ohio, they'd both be done already.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Sir Billy Connolly has received a second dose of the Covid vaccine and declared: "Wee jab - nae bother!"

The comedian's wife Pamela Stephenson tweeted an image of the 78-year-old as the injection was administered at his local supermarket in Florida.

She posted: "So relieved he has some protection now!"

Sir Billy was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 2013 and announced he was "finished with stand-up" last year.

He said at the time: "The Parkinson's has made my brain work differently and you need to have a good brain for comedy."

Ms Stephenson last month shared an image on social media of her husband wearing mask and with a plaster on his left arm after he received his first vaccination.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Two Florida women aged 34 and 44 dressed up as “grannies” – wearing bonnets and gloves – in a failed attempt to pass as old enough to be eligible for coronavirus jabs, according to local media reports.

WFTV, an ABC-affiliated TV station in Orlando, reported that the pair had valid vaccine cards after having their first shots, but were denied their second ones.

It quoted the Orange County health officer Dr Raul Pino as saying: “I don’t know how they escaped [detection] for the first time, but they came with the gloves, the glasses, the whole thing, and they are probably in their 20s.”

Their real ages emerged later, a WFTV reporter said. According to the station, the two women were turned over to police. Officers said they were asked to issue trespass warnings and no other action was taken.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

No Greater Fool

Post by No Greater Fool »

Shot 2 today. Slicker than snot on a doorknob. 20 minutes in and out including wait time after the shot.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Getting my first shot this afternoon; I have been on the waiting list since it began. Since I never win lotteries, maybe this means things are opening up and the vaccination will proceed more quickly.

Since I had covid last spring and had circulating antibodies as late as last September (my last convalescent antibody donation), it will be interesting to see if I have any side effects and how bad they might be.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I received the Moderna vaccine (as noted earlier in the thread). My first shot, the side effects were really only the injection site was quite sore - similar to a tetanus shot. The area was warm and hard (that's what she said) and sore to the touch but subsided in about a day and a half.

Second injection, not so much pain at the injection site, but about a day later, I developed some "flu like symptoms" (achy, flushed feeling, very tired). Could have been from the vaccine, or it could have been from living in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in February.

Best of luck to you, Big RR.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Thanks, got the Pfizer vaccine and was in and out in less than an hour (including a mandatory observation period of 15 minutes during which the scond vaccine was made). No real side effect other than a bit of soreness (but nowhere near than what a tetanus shot would be). But I was impressed that the place was run fairly efficiently (especially given how bad the computer scheduling system is and the lines moved quickly; it was in a closed Sears store with a lot of open space, so social distancing was no problem, and they had 30-40 vaccine stations (and an equivalent umber of check in stations, which is why it went forward so smoothly. I give the state a thumbs up.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

<Slight diversion>
You noted that it was in a closed Sears store. I went on Tuesday of this week to give blood. It was in an outdoor mall, in a closed Talbots. Worked out pretty good. Plenty of space, the "checkin" was the old sales counter and there were restrooms in the back. The layout of the sales floor allowed for natural privacy barriers for the "triage" and the actual donation area then to the canteen where you get to have your cookies and cheezits. It's probably a sign of the times that there are so many vacant properties like that but it's good that they are being repurposed for events like this.
</diversion>

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I signed up for my first jab last Wednesday. It was set for this morning (Friday) at 9:50 at the local high school. I walked in, had my temp taken, answered a few questions, and went right to the chair where an RN stuck me. Then I set my phone for a fifteen minute wait time, and walked out when it beeped. Easy peasy. The second jab is set for March 19th.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Still an utter disaster here in Massachusetts:
F5310EF5-228A-4C0E-9A3D-06B888F8D38F.jpeg
That’s a day’s wait just to be able to use the website to see if there any appointments available. Obvs, the limited appointments will disappear in seconds, and have.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Yesterday morning, the day after my first jab, I felt a little off. I went to work anyway. By 2:00, I was ready call it a day. I was assured by a doctor that it was common for those who have had covid to react more strongly to their first injection. Most who have not had it have a stronger reaction to their second. I hope that's not my case, but at least I'll be immune.
I woke up this morning still not feeling perfect. I took my regular AM pills plus one for a bad headache. By 2:00 all was right with the world.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

dales

Post by dales »

Went to Kaiser in Walnut Creek and got my first dose via Pfizer.

No problems.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

Ready to rock!!
Booking complete
Your reference numbers

1st dose 675646573

2nd dose 677768974

Make a note of these booking reference numbers. You will need to bring them with you.

Appointment 1 - 1st dose

Wednesday 10 March 2021

Appointment 2 - 2nd dose

Wednesday 26 May 2021

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

11 weeks til the second shot? Why so long between doses?
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I believe 11-12 weeks between doses is common for the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine, and its use is pretty widespread int he UK.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BigRR is right. Also, some countries have decided to push the second dose to the known outer limit so that they can get the benefit of more people having partial immunity from the first shot. Here is a fun read on how long you can go between doses.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... d2dd660b9b