Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:59 pm
This is funny - especially because tattoo ink isn’t regulated by the FDA or any government body and ingredients in the ink are not usually disclosed to the recipient.
Sort of true: tattoo inks are subject to the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act in the same way that topical cosmetics are (makeup, foundation, mascara and so on). However, the feds have not spent a lot of time on enforcing it and for the most part, it is local regulators (the same people who check swimming pools and restaurants) who keep an eye on tattoo parlors. In my experience (because we used to run some of the tests) they mostly look at autoclaves to make sure the needles are sterile.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Actually, now I think most tattoo shops use single use disposable needles; in some states this is mandated.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The FDA does next to nothing to regulate tattoo ink, other than to respond to individual reports of issues that arise after the fact. They admit as much on their own website:

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetic- ... fact-sheet

Considering how popular tattooing is these days it’s shocking how little is done to educate and inform the public that many of the pigments used are carcinogenic and unapproved for injection into the human body. Recent medical research has established that tattoo ink migrates into the lymph nodes, hardly the place to be injecting carcinogens.

From the FDA fact sheet:
More than fifty different pigments and shades are in use, and the list continues to grow. Although a number of color additives are approved for use in cosmetics, none is approved for injection into the skin. Using an unapproved color additive in a tattoo ink makes the ink adulterated. Many pigments used in tattoo inks are not approved for skin contact at all. Some are industrial grade colors that are suitable for printers' ink or automobile paint.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Laura died about 5:15pm today.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Today I got a Fluzone High-Dose Quadrivalent Intramuscular Suspension vaccination. Apparently, once you reach 65, these "High Dose" are the recommended flu shots. They have extra flu killer juice in them, which means it has four times the amount of antigen as the regular unleaded vaccine. They say there's more of a chance of potential side effects but I received it about 4 hours ago and don't feel any different. This is the earliest in the year that I've ever received one.

The shot for this year covers 4 flu viruses:

A/Victoria/2570/2019 IVR-215 (H1N1)
A/Tasmania/503/2020 IVR-221 (an A/Cambodia/e0826360/2020-like virus) (H3N2)
B/Phuket/3073/2013 (B Yamagata lineage) ( the fuck-it virus?)
B/Washington/02/2019 (B Victoria lineage)

Has anyone else here gotten a flu shot yet? Is there anyone here who won't get it?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I got mine last Wednesday. They didn’t mention it being super juicy.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Very saddened to hear about your friend Laura, TPFKA@W. I don't personally know anyone taken by this disease, so a friend of a friend brings it that much closer.

Obviously you think, and maybe others, that her symptoms and seizures were brought on by the vaccine. At the moment - unless you have information beyond what you shared with us when you first mentioned Laura - the connection with her vaccination is just time, so it could well be a coincidence.

I'm sure that they will do further tests. That may add to her family's distress but I hope that we can get closer to the truth about the effectiveness and drawbacks of the vaccine she was given.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:29 am
I got mine last Wednesday. They didn’t mention it being super juicy.
It's probably because you look much too young to be considered for the senior citizen version of the vaccine... 8-)

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:28 am
Today I got a Fluzone High-Dose Quadrivalent Intramuscular Suspension vaccination. Apparently, once you reach 65, these "High Dose" are the recommended flu shots. They have extra flu killer juice in them, which means it has four times the amount of antigen as the regular unleaded vaccine. They say there's more of a chance of potential side effects but I received it about 4 hours ago and don't feel any different. This is the earliest in the year that I've ever received one.

Has anyone else here gotten a flu shot yet? Is there anyone here who won't get it?
I may or may not get it; usually I wait until the new year to get an idea how effective the flu vaccine combination is against the seasonal flu before I get it. I did get it the last two years, so it's likely I will get it this year too unless it appears to be ineffective or marginally effective.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Big RR wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:42 am
I may or may not get it; usually I wait until the new year to get an idea how effective the flu vaccine combination is against the seasonal flu before I get it. I did get it the last two years, so it's likely I will get it this year too unless it appears to be ineffective or marginally effective.
I've been getting the flu shot every year for as long as I can remember. My doctor's office is about 1 mile away from my house and he notifies me when the shot is available and I take his advice and drop by his office and get it. Today I just drove up and parked in his parking lot, called the front desk and he came out to my car and gave me the shot in my shoulder as I sat in the driver's seat. I never got out of my car.

I would probably be more like you if it wasn't so easy and my doctor wasn't so convincing.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

My doctor recommends it due to my age, but he's not pushy; he usually doesn't stock it, and I get it either at a pharmacy or at a flu clinic at my employer (if they had one). And even though my flu vaccination record is spotty, I have never gotten the flu (at least anything worse than a 2-3 day feeling under the weather)--people I know who have gotten it talk about a week flat on your back (even in their 30s and 40s), and I've never had that.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:42 am
Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:28 am

At your age you might want to stop trying to out think the scientists who recommend it.

Just like the covid19 vaccines which help save lives in the face of a variant that didn’t exist before the vaccines went into production, the flu vaccine will reduce your risk of serious illness or death even if you get infected with a strain not specifically included in this year’s formulation.

Our immune systems get tired as we age, and need more help to help us. That yearly flu shot is like a month of gym sessions for your immune system and it WILL help you if you get infected with any strain of flu - there’s a large body of research that proves this. The vaccine takes two weeks to be effective, so if you tarry a while until you’ve adequately indulged your skepticism, it could be too late. Maybe not this year while masks and social distancing and work from home is still ubiquitous - but it future years now that you are officially elderly, it might be best to just take your doctor’s advice.

My advice comes from a place of affection and having already watched too many aged clients die of viral pneumonia.
Benefits of the Vaccine

Regardless of which flu strains cause an epidemic, there are undeniable benefits to receiving the flu vaccine, especially for those with chronic illness, pregnant women, infants, and the elderly. Even if you are infected by a strain of the flu that isn’t covered by this year’s vaccine, studies show that your symptoms may be milder and that you may recover faster. In short, it’s in your best interest to take every recommended precaution to prevent or minimize a flu infection.
https://www.uabmedicine.org/-/flu-strai ... cine-works
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Here’s an interesting article explaining immunosenescence:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7270427/
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

:ok raising my hand (thumb) and a reformed flu shot skeptic. I never got it, and then spending winter holidays with the boyz ended up with me getting sick, every single time. My office has always provided a flu shot and I have gotten it every single year since my early 40s and I am really flu-free. I might get a mildly annoying cold, I got norovirus once, and I got bronchitis in Jan 2020 after returning from St Moritz (but I’m convinced it was early COVID - because I never have upper respiratory illness). My very ill mother always got her flu shot, and that probably saved her life multiple times. Just do it.
Last edited by Guinevere on Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

That piece you linked BSG is well worth the time to read. Basically, to keep your immune system functioning as you age, statins, Vitamin E and regular exercise all help. Check, check and check; but I do not recall these being recommended to me for that purpose. Makes sense.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:22 am
Laura died about 5:15pm today.
I’m sorry to hear about your friend. I will include you and her family in my prayers.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Thanks Eddie. Meanwhile at the old place of work I am told they are sending out letters wherein those who have refused to be vaxxed have til the 24th to either vax up or find themselves in the underemployment queue. (Which no longer entails extra money, I think, or won't soon.) So I talked to a couple of them and they are afraid to get the Moderna, since most of us believe that it is no coincidence that Laura got the jab and was having issues a week later, but are willing to do Pfizer if they absolutely must. I was hoping her daughter would insist on an autopsy but she apparently has no interest in doing one. I would want to know.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I’m sure people who have been hesitant to get the vaccine are not encouraged by the death of a coworker following receiving the vaccine. Sorry you folks are going through that.

As for the Moderna - it probably doesn’t help but that’s the one everyone in my family received. No issues here.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Both my wife and I got two jabs each of the Moderna vaccine, me in Feb/Mar, her in Mar/Apr.

My condolences on the death of your friend, @W. I can't pray, but I can feel sorry.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Lynn and I got Moderna in June/July. Sorry to hear about Laura, @w and agree with you about needing to know
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts