Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:17 am
I was hoping her daughter would insist on an autopsy but she apparently has no interest in doing one. I would want to know.
Obviously for Laura's family (mother, sister, daughter and fiancé) and friends this is a very traumatic time, and I can only imagine how much an autopsy might add to that. I don't know the rules where you live (CDC summarizes the regulations for each state here) but in Kentucky for example, an autopsy is required if the death appears to be 'unnatural' in some way. I would hope that if there is the slightest suspicion that Laura's death was caused by the vaccine, both Moderna and the public health community would want to know. Only with that knowledge can they modify the vaccine or screen people for pre-existing factors or maybe even withdraw the vaccine if justified. Here in KY the decision is made at the county level, and while there are some excellent county health professionals, there are also some bozos.

I know it's easy for me to say, but it really should not be up to Laura's daughter to decide.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:17 am
Thanks Eddie. Meanwhile at the old place of work I am told they are sending out letters wherein those who have refused to be vaxxed have til the 24th to either vax up or find themselves in the underemployment queue. (Which no longer entails extra money, I think, or won't soon.) So I talked to a couple of them and they are afraid to get the Moderna, since most of us believe that it is no coincidence that Laura got the jab and was having issues a week later, but are willing to do Pfizer if they absolutely must. I was hoping her daughter would insist on an autopsy but she apparently has no interest in doing one. I would want to know.
I am so sorry about Laura.

FWIW, Moderna has been shown to have the longest and broadest efficacy, based on studies to date. And I do think it is most likely a coincidence, but I would want to know as well.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

It may have triggered an unknown (and likely quite rare) condition.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Four-year-old girl dies of Covid after anti-vaxxer mom contracts virus

Kali Cook died in her sleep on 7 September, within hours of showing symptoms of coronavirus

A four-year-old girl has become the youngest Covid-19 victim in Texas’s Galveston County since the onset of the pandemic, after several members of her family were infected.

Kali Cook died in her sleep at home on 7 September, within hours of showing symptoms of the coronavirus. She was unvaccinated, with children below the age of 12 not yet eligible for inoculation.

Her mother Karra Harwood, however, was also not jabbed and described herself as against vaccination. “I was one of the people that was anti, I was against it. Now, I wish I never was,” she told The Daily News.

Kali’s death comes amid reports of an increasing number of Delta variant cases being observed in children in the US.

Last month, the Galveston County health district recorded 1,382 cases of the virus in children younger than 12. Texas, till last week, reported at least 24 Covid-19 related deaths in children under the age of 10.

The child lived in Bacliff with her father, mother and four siblings, who were in quarantine after contracting the virus.

“I ended up getting Covid-19 and was diagnosed on Monday,” Ms Harwood said. “I came home and was isolated. I tried to stay away from her and didn’t want her and my other kids to get it.”

According to her mother, Kali's temperature increased at 2am and she was given medicine to try and bring the fever under control.

But by 7am Kali had died in her sleep, according to Ms Harwood. The child had no diagnosed immune disorders or other health conditions, she added.

“I did not murder my daughter. There are people getting vaccinated that are still getting Covid and they can still spread Covid,” the mother told news channel KPRC-TV.

The Galveston county medical examiner’s office confirmed the child's death was due to Covid-19 on 9 September after conducting examinations.

Health officials in a press statement said they didn’t believe the girl was infected at her school where she was studying in pre-kindergarten. Further contact tracing showed no students or adults who were in contact with the child tested positive for the coronavirus.

Officials on 10 September conducted an autopsy to find out other information, including pre-existing health conditions that might have led to the girl’s death.

Ms Harwood's five-month-old baby has also been infected with the virus, she said. “I’ve taken him to the hospital every night since because I feel like they’re not getting better, and I’m terrified,” she added.

A report from the American Academy of Pediatrics stated that children made up at least 0.27 per cent of all Covid-19 deaths in 43 US states. In August, the city of Houston reported its first paediatric Covid-19 death with no underlying health conditions.

Kali’s family has set up a GoFundMe page to gather expenses for her funeral.
The mother is right that vaccinated folks can still get infected- but given that she was an antivaxxer, I wonder if she was masking outside the home as the unvaccinated are advised to to?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I know it's easy for me to say, but it really should not be up to Laura's daughter to decide.
I agree. The death is of a protracted but still unexpected nature. Maybe someone was feeding her antifreeze or some such thing. The thing is that there is no estate to speak of. She was a renter and had no savings.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I imagine the medical examiner had to review the death and decline to order an autopsy, likely because she had a protracted illness which was the primary cause of death. I recall when my mother and both of my inlaws died (within a certain time of being admitted to the hospital), we had to get that clearance from the medical examiners office before the body was transferred to the funeral home--in all three cases it came in a matter of hours. My father died as a patient in hospice care in a nursing home and the review was unnecessary (although the medical examiner is still notified). I would think a similar process is followed in most states.

Indeed, both my parents were cremated and the funeral home had to hold the bodies for 24 hours before cremation in case someone wanted to raise a question as to the cause of death and demand an investigation (but I am not sure who can question this and place such a demand or what the applicable regulations are).

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The persistence of vaccine hesitation and outright antivaxxer rhetoric promoted by far too many nurses in this pandemic is truly one of the most disheartening aspects of the whole tragedy. I actually had a treating RN approach me with a bunch of anti-vaccine nonsense when I was hospitalized overnight last January for cardiac issues and happened to mention how excited I was to get my first jab the following week - she was pretty obnoxious about it and saying a whole lot of total nonsense and I had to ask her more than once to just drop the subject - totally inappropriate in any case as she is a nurse, not a treating physician.

Here is another tragic story - 5 young children orphaned, one a newborn, after vaccine refuser nurse mom and vaccine refuser teacher dad both died. As a reminder, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology issued an official position endorsing the covid19 vaccines for pregnant and lactating women in December of 2020. Numerous pregnant women have died from covid19 and orphaned their babies.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... tions.html

Way back when in my premed days (25 years ago), I spent most of my days with other premed and nursing students and amongst doctors and nurses in my three years of student internships at the university health center and the regional hospital’s oncology center. I don’t recall any significant population of antivaxxers among those folks back then. I suspect the foundation for this insanity was laid by the likes of Andrew Wakefield, Jenny McCarthy and social media - but I’m a bit shocked that nursing education isn’t more rigorous these days, it used to involve a lot of hard science that leaves little room for this kind of confusion about the actual risks of vaccines. Unless many of these nurses are something less than RNs with a full 4 year university education and/or advanced degrees. 🤷‍♀️
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I imagine some of the RNs could have just a 2 year associates degree, but there are elss and less of them in hospitals.

As for anitvaxxers, when I worked in a hospital (during college) I did notice a number of nurses (and even doctors) who would avoid most medical treatments (including vaccines) unless absolutely necessary--they just weren't very vocal about it nor did they seek to recruit others. I have a little bit of that view myself--I will tough out pain rather than take pain relievers and avoid other treatments for mild to moderate symptoms, and it has generally served me well, but then luckily I have never been seriously ill.

My own positions (and as I understood those nurses who shared their positions with me) is that there is always a risk with putting anything into your body and that you must weigh the risk against the benefit. So I have no problem with being vaccinated for serious diseases or for diseases that are serious public health problems (and covid 19 complies with both of them) but, e.g., avoid taking antibiotics unless I am seriously ill. One of the problems with the way medicine is practiced in the US is that physicians rush to the use of medication to treat any disease as opposed to managing the symptoms and allowing it to run its course; this has led to things like the opioid epidemic and overuse of antibiotics and psychoactive drugs.IMHO, we have to take control of our own healthcare.
Last edited by Big RR on Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

If LGBTQ people ruled the world:

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Scooter wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:50 pm
If LGBTQ people ruled the world:

The local LGBTQ center here ran vaccination clinics early this year when they were first being offered. Very, very well attended. I think the first day they had given all but four of their available doses and those four were due to noshows or misscheduling. My wife and kids got theirs at this clinic (and the subsequent follow up shot at the same location several weeks later). They did a good job of publicizing it to the people in their circles and were pretty efficient in getting people in and out.

They also had vaccine tents at two of the pride events we attended this summer.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Yay for the LGBTQ population. Could this obvious tendency to get vaccinated - clearly at a much higher rate than their straight and cis- peers - be because they are more likely to be on the leftish/liberal side of the politics dividing line we see? In other words it's not necessarily a LGBTQ phenomenon, more a simple restatement of what we see every day. Yet another bonfire of which Trump fanned the flames.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I think its a combination of more liberal, more urban, more awareness/experience of medical issues, high impact of COVID on the community (most LGBTQ gathering places were shut down for lengthy periods), high investment in seeing the community be healthy, a lot of promotion and word-of-mouth influencing through social networks.

I think the AIDS experience primed LGBTQ people to be ready to mobilize against the latest threat. And like with AIDS, a lot of LGBTQ activism has been directed at vaccine and treatment access, particularly for marginalized communities at home and for poor countries abroad. The pharmaceutical industry again became a prime target for activists when it was seen to be not doing enough to make vaccines affordable for the developing world.

-- Author unknown

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:28 am
Today I got a Fluzone High-Dose Quadrivalent Intramuscular Suspension vaccination. Apparently, once you reach 65, these "High Dose" are the recommended flu shots. They have extra flu killer juice in them, which means it has four times the amount of antigen as the regular unleaded vaccine.
Thanks for the tip Joe.

I had already made an appointment to get the flu jab at my local school district next week. Same place I got my Pfizer Covid jabs. I just checked to see what vaccine they will be using. Since the vast majority of their employees have not yet reached geezerhood, they are not offering the high dose shot. I wonder if those giving them would even have bothered to ask about my age.

Thanks again.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:51 pm
....Thanks for the tip Joe......
You're welcome. Maybe this link could help you find where it is being dispensed near you.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

The Dillons (Think Kroger) store down the street has them. I've used them in the past for flu, shingles and pneumonia shots.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Y'all have access to flu vaccine very early. I feel lucky if I am able to get one by mid-October.

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Scooter wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:41 am
Y'all have access to flu vaccine very early. I feel lucky if I am able to get one by mid-October.
I got my annual flu shot last week, although usually I get it on the holiday formerly known as Columbus Day. Doc told me to come back after Sept. 20 and get a COVID booster, said they were expecting new CDC guidance for the third dose would be out by then.
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

According to CNN:
Conservative radio host Pastor Robert "Bob" Enyart, who swore off Covid-19 vaccines, has died from complications due to the virus, his co-host announced on social media Monday.

"It comes with an extremely heavy heart that my close friend and co-host of Real Science Radio has lost his battle with Covid," said co-host Fred Williams on Facebook.

In October, Enyart won a lawsuit against the state of Colorado over its Covid-19 restrictions, CNN has reported.

In a phone call with CNN following the ruling, Enyart said, "We have a right, even an obligation to worship him (God), and that's without government interference."

"Bob Enyart was one of the smartest, and without question the wisest person I've known," said Williams.
I'd say Mr Williams needs to widen his circle of friends.

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

It shouldn’t be controversial. However we Americans love to put the “dumb” in “freedom”.

Meanwhile, my vaccinated neighbor has a positive test. I’ll be scheduling my own test as a precaution. Haven’t had too much direct contact with them recently but our homes are attached.