Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by Gob »

:lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

The first pill designed to treat symptomatic Covid has been approved by the UK medicines regulator.

The tablet - molnupiravir - will be given twice a day to vulnerable patients recently diagnosed with the disease.

In clinical trials the pill, originally developed to treat flu, cut the risk of hospitalisation or death by about half.

Health Secretary Sajid Javid said the treatment was a "gamechanger" for the most frail and immunosuppressed.

In a statement he said: "Today is a historic day for our country, as the UK is now the first country in the world to approve an antiviral that can be taken at home for Covid."

Molnupiravir, developed by the US drug companies Merck, Sharp and Dohme (MSD) and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics, is the first antiviral medication for Covid which can be taken as a pill rather than injected or given intravenously.

The UK has agreed to purchase 480,000 courses with the first deliveries expected in November.

Initially it will be given to both vaccinated and unvaccinated patients through a national study, with extra data on its effectiveness collected before any decision to order more.

The drug needs to be given within five days of symptoms developing to be most effective.

It's not immediately clear how it will be distributed so quickly by the NHS. It's thought some care homes may be offered supplies while other elderly or vulnerable patients may be prescribed it by their GP after testing positive for Covid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59163899
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

BTW, got my booster shot of Pfizer last week. No side effects other than a persistent belief in science.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Just been informed by the US Embassy in Joburg that all persons (US or not) who want to fly to the States must present

either
a valid vaccination certificate AND negative test result obtained within 3 days of travel date

or
if no vaccination, then a negative test obtained within 24 hours of travel date. Good luck with that one, non vaxxers!

Amurikans living where there's no vaccination program and no chance of getting covid test results within 24 hours of take-off are advised to er . . . "remain in place"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Got my booster of moderna on Monday. I had a case of “man flu” on Tuesday but a nap took care of that.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Sue U wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:28 pm
BTW, got my booster shot of Pfizer last week. No side effects other than a persistent belief in science.
Didn't get my second stick of the original two-part Pfizer vaccine until the 22nd of October (was dealing with some other more-pressing medical issues having to do with my heart, circulatory system, and a persistent infection brought on by uncontrolled edema in the legs), so it'll be roughly next Easter before I'm eligible for mine.

No adverse reactions to the jabs, and the other issue is being resolved as part of an on-going process, so unless I get blind-sided in a car accident you-all are going to have to keep putting up with me.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Fuckwits will be fuckwits.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Interestingly this guy’s Wiki page is entirely devoid of any section on controversy, so his UK detractors need to get busy.

I recall him having borne some criticism for his early predictive modeling of the pandemic, so I googled Neil Ferguson controversy and among the results I got this: https://theferret.scot/fact-check-neil- ... edictions/

I’m just curious, is he considered a murderer by some because his early modeling prompted the UK lockdowns? And given how serious the virus turned out to be, weren’t those lockdowns very wise? Is he called a murderer because elderly died in care homes in the lockdowns? Because that happened everywhere and it’s an unfortunate outcome of placing the elderly in a congregant setting - every year URIs rip through care homes and kill elders before some other cause could take them. In a pandemic it was just much worse. Isn’t the fault of that on those who planned (or didn’t) for the increased safety of care homes under lockdown? Could such safety even been realized given the necessary evils of congregant elder care?

They say it is a curse to live in interesting times. This pandemic has surely proved that adage in terms of the experiences of epidemiologists, vaccinologists, immunologists and public health officials worldwide. It’s the thing they’ve trained for and know more about than anyone else alive, and because of that they bear the hostility of millions - tens of millions? Hundreds of millions? - of far less educated people who just need to have a fall guy to blame for the impacts of this awful pandemic that has disrupted and even destroyed so many lives. And the irony of course is that so many people are so unwilling to listen to the guidance of public health officials and so much more ready to politicize everything, there is no way that they ever could have forged and implemented a perfect response to covid19, especially considering how far behind the 8-ball China left the rest of the world by their suppression efforts early on.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Covid Gets Even Redder

The partisan gap in deaths has grown larger.

(To get past the paywall, open in incognito mode.)

There is a map of the USA with data as of November 3 which shows covid19 deaths per 100,000 across the USA. The county I last lived in out in Montana is nearly the darkest red - it was a very ignorant backward place, something I realized too late.

40% of Republicans remain unvaccinated, only 10% of Democrats. Obviously as the virus rolls around ping ponging among all those unvaccinated conservatives we still run the risk of a more deadly variant arising that escapes the vaccines, but short of that Republicans keep dying at a much higher rate. The new antiviral treatments could really help reduce that rate, but only if the Republicans will take them - they’re made by the same evil Pharma companies who want to poison us with the vaccines that aren’t vaccines, don’t you know.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Scooter wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:55 pm
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

4842A305-181B-4DD2-8E43-DA2B34424899.jpeg
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Frontline NHS England staff will have to be fully vaccinated against Covid, the government is expected to announce later.

A deadline will be set for next spring to give unvaccinated staff time to get both doses, Whitehall sources told the BBC.

About 110,000 of more than 1.4 million healthcare workers in NHS England have not yet had a first Covid jab.

Thursday is the deadline for care home workers in England to get vaccinated.

The government's decision follows a consultation which began in September and considered whether both the Covid and flu jabs should be compulsory for frontline NHS and care workers.

The BBC understands that the flu vaccine will not be made mandatory and there will be exemptions for the Covid vaccine requirement for medical reasons.

Each of the four UK nations makes its own decisions on the issue.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have not made any proposals to make Covid jabs compulsory for NHS workers or care home staff.

Last month, Health Secretary Sajid Javid said he was leaning towards compulsory vaccination for NHS staff in England, saying it was the right thing to do to protect staff and patients.

He told the BBC that he did not want the NHS to lose any staff, but said the experience in the social care sector was that the numbers taking up the vaccine "absolutely surged" after it was made compulsory.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Of course dimwits exist all over the world. Some (a tiny fraction) of those ~8% unvaccinated might be very young and only recently in an approved age group.

"I've done my own research" is something you see way too often. My first reaction is to control the urge to throw up. Secondly I want to ask: what kind of budget did you have? What equipment or statistical techniques did you use which causes you to doubt the efficacy or safety of these drugs? Oh you mean you just looked up shit on the internet and found someone who agrees with you? How in the world does that equate to research?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

One of my clients is in a home hospice program that just had 6 nurses walk off the job over the vaccine mandate. I’m baffled that so many supposedly educated people would fall for pseudo science and misinformation on social media, and fall so far short of meeting their ethical obligations to their patients. My client is now having telehealth visits weekly instead of in-home visits with vitals, etc. Yes we can take her vitals but it’s not as reassuring for her but whatever she’s gonna die so what is she really worth anyway?
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Andy--I understand your point about "research", but what other basis do we have to review the evidence and decide for ourselves? I was once told by a physician that I needed surgery (skin grafts for burns I had); I didn't believe him and contacted a few physicians I knew (no internet then); they were pretty much evenly split for and against it. I chose not to have it and it worked out. That was pretty much like looking on the internet--contacting few doctors and seeing if they supported the way you were leaning.

How else can any of us research a medical decision other than using the internet (most insurance companies will not pay for endless second opinions). I think it is sad that there is a lot of false information on the net, but I do think that many of us are beyond the "doctors orders" view of the what must be done. Face it, even though many patients are beyond it, many physicians are not--the paternalistic doctor patient relationship lives on in their minds. The medical profession has to do a better job of working with patents, rather than "ordering" them, much as other professionals have learned. I had a friend who tried to discuss something he read on the internet and the doctor told him "If you believe that, why don' you just go to the internet next time instead of me?" Doesn't help at all.

A number of years ago my wife had a serious condition which her doctor wanted to treat a certain way. I scoured the medical literature and found a Spanish publication that showed this was unwise for people with certain preexisting conditions (which she had) and suggested treating it another way. I sent the paper to him and, luckily, he was not one of the "my way or nothing jerks",. He contacted the physician and they used the alternative treatment route--he even published some papers on it. She's OK today because of the internet research. there has to be a new health care paradigm that involves the patient in the decisions. And there has be a more taught of how to avoid asinine posts, but we all need to do "research".

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I got my third Pfizer jab Saturday morning. I also had a bit of a cold, and was coughing whenever I laid down. I did not sleep at all well Saturday night, but I can't attribute that entirely to the shot. Sunday I was wiped out all day. I slept a lot of the afternoon in a recliner, so I didn't cough. Headache, body ache, more than just a cold. I was surprised I slept very well Sunday night. Monday (yesterday) I was functioning at about 3/4 speed. Today I'm as normal as I ever was. I still have a persistent belief in science. (Thanks Sue. I had to borrow that.)
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:06 pm
Andy--I understand your point about "research", but what other basis do we have to review the evidence and decide for ourselves
BigRR, I have used my own internet research to educate a physician about my care, and I imagine that is not rare now. However, the research on COVID and the vaccines is overwhelming. There is a mountain of evidence supporting the vaccines, and no more than a very small molehill of non-scientific speculation that vaccines are dangerous or unnecessary. This is why nearly 100% of M.D.s who see patients are vaccinated, have their families get vaccinated, and strongly encourage each and every one of their patients to get vaccinated. To find "research" that refutes vaccination means the person has made up their mind to not vaccinate for some emotional reason and then grasped the few straws that support that predetermined emotional need. (The exceptions being those few who have actual medical reasons for not being vaccinated.)

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'm not arguing that LR, and fully agree with you. But how do we teach people to do responsible research? Some may realize they're being jerks, but others may think they're finding the information that was not readily forthcoming. Some will never learn, but I have to believe that some may.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

It was vaccination, I know
And it can't be defended
A Left plot from the start
Bill Gates' final chance
To put stuff in our arms
But I must go on my way
Empty headed

(fade)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts