Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Sorry - I wasn't trying to claim precedence or anything - I think it's a very good summary of why we do things. A Canadian FB friend of mine posted it and I reposted.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:16 am
Burning Petard wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:26 am

Funerals sill include a tribal feast--but it is catered.

snailgate
I've never been to a funeral dinner that was catered, but I've never been to a big city funeral. Meals by friends or church ladies is probably a small town thing.
Speaking of obituary casseroles, I can't remember being at a funeral dinner that didn't include "funeral potatoes". Check it out. They're so ubiquitous, that's what they are called: https://therecipecritic.com/funeral-potatoes/
We had a lunch out after my Mom's memorial service. Dad's was just a quick punch and cookies at the church after his service (and then my Aunt had some of us back to her house for pizza and drinks afterwards). I think it depends on the people involved, the size of the expected crowd, and the relationships among and between the family.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

My brother died at about 7am Sunday morning, yesterday local time in Missouri.

I got my third shot in August of this year. That was jumping the gun a bit, but it was six months after my second and the Walmarts did less preliminary and after paperwork fit than they did for my regular flu shot later.

But I am beginning to wonder it this is trending to be an added shot every six months.

And thanks MG Mech, I thought 'funeral potatoes' was a Mormon thing. LE Modest Jr refers frequently to eating 'lace potatoes' in more than one of his fantasy series. I know he lives in Utah, but no information as to his exposure to Mormon culture. I always thought his 'lace potatoes' was a variation on funeral potatoes

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I think it also depends on ethnic background; I have a few reek friends and for them the "repast" is as much a part of the funeral experience as the wake and church service. In some ways it does make sense if a number of people are from out of town, and having it somewhere other than the next of kin's house makes it easier if a lot of people are there.

Also, some ethnic groups nearly require every family members (even distant ones) to attend the funeral, while others do not (like the Scandinavians) do not. A large attendance at the service further make a catered luncheon more attractive. Both of my parents' funerals were on weekdays and a good number of people chose not to come, and called or sent condolences, which was fine. We had people back to our house for a lunch, but then it was less than 20 people; pretty much immediate family and a couple of close friends.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Trump met with boos after revealing he received Covid-19 booster

(CNN) — Former President Donald Trump was booed by a portion of an audience in Dallas on Sunday when he said he had received a Covid-19 booster shot, according to video of the closed press event that was shared on social media.

The comments by Trump -- who, despite championing his administration's efforts to develop Covid vaccines, rarely discusses his own vaccination and has largely declined to encourage others to get it -- came during a stop of his tour with former Fox News host Bill O'Reilly.
According to video tweeted by O'Reilly's "No Spin News," the former Fox News host says, "Both the President and I are vaxxed" and then asks Trump, "Did you get the booster?"
"Yes," Trump says to a smattering of boos in the audience. "Don't, don't, don't, don't, don't," Trump says in the video, seemingly trying to quiet the boos. "That's all right, it's a very tiny group over there."

CNN has reached out to a Trump spokesperson for more details on the former President's decision to get the booster shot.

In a longer video later tweeted by O'Reilly's site, Trump warns supporters that they are "playing right into their hands" when they dismiss the vaccines and don't take credit for them.

"Look, we did something that was historic, we saved tens of millions of lives worldwide. We, together, all of us, not me," Trump says in the video, which comes right before Trump receives the smattering of boos.

He goes on to say that Covid-19 was going to "ravage the country far beyond what it is right now" if the vaccines had not been developed.

"Take credit for it. Take credit for it. It's great. What we've done is historic. Don't let them take it away. Don't take it away from ourselves," Trump says. "You are playing right into their hands when you sort of like, 'oh, the vaccine.' If you don't want to take it, you shouldn't be forced to take it. No mandates. But take credit, because we saved tens of millions of lives. Take credit. Don't let them take that away from you."

Unvaccinated people face a 10 times greater risk of testing positive and 20 times greater risk of dying from Covid-19 than fully vaccinated people who have also received a booster, according to data published recently by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC data -- which assesses data through October -- suggests the gap in risk between unvaccinated people and those with a booster is even larger than it is between unvaccinated people and those who are fully vaccinated with their initial series. Unvaccinated people face a five times greater risk of testing positive for Covid-19 and 14 times greater risk of dying from Covid-19 than fully vaccinated people do, according to the CDC data.

Trump, who contracted Covid as president, received his first Covid-19 vaccination out of view of the press before leaving office. CNN reported months later that his vaccination was not recorded by official photographers or videographers, according to a person familiar with the matter. And Trump did not participate in a Covid-19 public service announcement that featured all other living former presidents.

Trump said in a Wall Street Journal interview that published in September that he was unlikely to get the booster shot, saying that he felt like he was "in good shape from that standpoint" and "probably won't" get the booster.
"I'll look at stuff later on," he added. "I'm not against it, but it's probably not for me."

This is not the first time Trump has been met with boos when speaking about vaccines.

"I believe totally in your freedoms. I do. You've got to do what you have to do. But I recommend, take the vaccines. I did it. It's good. Take the vaccines," Trump said at an event in Alabama in August.
Some in the audience responded by booing the statement.

"No, that's OK. That's all right," Trump said, seemingly acknowledging the boos. "You got your freedoms, but I happened to take the vaccine. If it doesn't work, you'll be the first to know, OK?"
He’s going to lose thousands more voters - tens of thousands - this winter/spring.

Bet he’s regretting his covid19 strategy just about now, but no worries, the GOP is laying the groundwork for an easy steal of the next election regardless of the ultimate GOP covid19 death toll.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I think Biden might be well advised to give Trump some credit for the 'Warp Speed' operation which did have a hand in making it easier and quicker for some of the drug companies to come up with effective vaccines. I hate to give the man credit for anything and really it was a no-brainer (which might explain why it did occur to his people) but having the government guarantee purchase took some of the risk away from some of the Big Pharma entrants. I think, given the stakes, it was justified. Biden would lose nothing by giving a little credit to what Trump was persuaded to do by FDA, DHHS etc. Many mistakes and places where, especially with hindsight, it could have been improved, but overall Warp Speed was a positive contribution to the eventual (we hope) control of the virus.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I don't know, ex-KA.   He spent way too much time minimizing and stonewalling before he was finally forced to face facts and acknowledge that it was even a serious threat, and then finally taking action.   Giving him any credit for his actions now is almost like dropping charges against a bank robber because he gave back the money after he got caught.

And if you want more proof that this was something he was literally forced to do, just look at the way he is still so complacent and non-committal about urging his sycophants to get vaccinated.  If it was something he was really proud of and thought was the RIGHT thing to do (in either usage of the term) he would be practically ORDERING them to get the jabs.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:58 pm
Sorry - I wasn't trying to claim precedence or anything - I think it's a very good summary of why we do things. A Canadian FB friend of mine posted it and I reposted.
No worries mate.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

We always have a wake after a funeral, normally at the deceased's favourite pub.

Photo from my mother's wake.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

America has recorded its first death caused by the COVID Omicron variant, with the victim a Texas man in his 50s who was unvaccinated and had already been infected before.

The news was announced by Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo on Monday night, around the same time the Centers for Disease Control confirmed that Omicron is now the dominant COVID strain in the US, accounting for 73 per cent of all new cases.

Hidalgo did not name the victim, who had undisclosed underlying health conditions, and who was treated with Regeneron antibody therapy in an unsuccessful attempt to save his life.

Harris County health department said his death showed the importance of getting vaccinated, even if you have already been infected.

'My phone was ringing, and it was the public health director telling me we just had our first Omicron-related death,' she said.

'A man in his 50s, resides in Harris County Precinct 2. I know for folks in Harris County this feels like whiplash… It is so frustrating. I feel it too. I understand the impulse to just tune out the latest news and be sick and tired of all of this, but as we’ve been expecting, the Omicron variant of COVID-19 has arrived in full force.'

Hidalgo said that 'the evidence shows that for those vaccinated and with the booster, it is much, much less likely that they are going to end up in the hospital'.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Burning Petard wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:40 pm

snailgate
Not sure how I missed this - my sincere condolences on the loss of your brother. May his memory be a blessing.

I know from personal experience how the grief journey during this difficult time has been extra challenging for many of us, and I am keeping you in my thoughts & prayers, such as they are (only because I am not traditionally religious anymore).
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:52 pm
Burning Petard wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:40 pm

snailgate
Not sure how I missed this - my sincere condolences on the loss of your brother. May his memory be a blessing.
Similar sentiments from me. Best wishes SG.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

The most recent guidance is that it is okay to mix and match the original shots and the booster (e.g., if your first two shots were Pfizer, your booster can be Moderna, J&J, or Pfizer). The recommendation is for the Pfizer and Moderna, as they have proven more effective than J&J, but J&J is fine if you had bad reactions to the mRNA vaccines. Appointments for the Pfizer have a long wait time here, so I may end up with the Moderna since I have a trip scheduled.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Nice to agree with a god botherer for a change.
The Archbishop of Canterbury has said being vaccinated against coronavirus is a moral issue.

The Most Rev Justin Welby said that getting the jab reduces the chances of illness being spread and that 'it's not about me and my rights to choose - it's about how I love my neighbour'.

Asked during an interview with ITV News At Ten if being vaccinated is a 'moral issue', the archbishop said: 'I'm going to step out on thin ice here and say, yes, I think it is.'

He added: 'A lot of people won't like that, but I think it is because it's not about me and my rights.

'Now obviously there are some people who, for health reasons, can't be vaccinated - different question - but it's not about me and my rights to choose.

'It's about how I love my neighbour. Vaccination reduces my chances - doesn't eliminate - but it reduces my chances of getting ill and reducing my chances of getting ill reduces my chances of infecting others. It's very simple.

'So I would say yes, to love one another - as Jesus said - get vaccinated, get boosted.'

On whether it would be immoral not to get the jab when you are in a position to have it, Mr Welby said: 'I understand why people don't.'

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Gob wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:24 am
if being vaccinated is a 'moral issue', the archbishop said: 'I'm going to step out on thin ice here and say, yes, I think it is.'
Which is another way of saying that most who do not get the vaccine are being selfish.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Got my booster yesterday
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

‘it's about how I love my neighbour'

Yup, that’s public health in a nutshell.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

US Army testing universal vaccine to target all coronavirus variants

SpFN, or Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle, has shown promise in non-human primate trials and early human trial results are expected this month Results suggest the shot could protect against Covid-19 variants and may also trigger a strong immune response against Sars-CoV-1

Business Insider9:23pm, 22 Dec, 2021

The US Army is wrapping up early clinical trials on a vaccine it hopes will target all existing coronavirus variants.

Named SpFN, for Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle, it has shown promise in non-human primate trials and early human trial results are expected “this month,” according to a press release from the US Army Walter Reed Army Institute of Research released Thursday.

The jab could also help protect against other coronaviruses beyond Covid-19, which could offer hope against future pandemics.

The vaccine is designed on a new platform called “self-assembling protein nanoparticle.” Unlike most currently available vaccines, which use mRNA to trigger the immune system, this shot would work by injecting a molecule that looks a little like a 24-faced soccer ball, according to defence One.

Each face of the “ball” would carry a bit of the spike protein that can trigger the body to mount a protective immune response. This allows scientists to attach the spikes of multiple coronavirus strains on different faces of the “ball,” so the body could protect against several variants at once, instead of having to take a separate dose for each variant.

Early results in primates suggest the shot could work against Covid-19 variants and against other coronaviruses as well, the Army said.

According to a study published in the peer-reviewed journal Science Translational Medicine on Thursday, SpFN protected non-human primates from disease caused by the original variant of the Covid-19 coronavirus. Two doses given 28 days apart also triggered strong immune responses against Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta variants.

Results from very early clinical trials of SpFN in humans, called Phase 1, are expected to be released “this month,” the Army said in the press release.

In primates, SpFN was also able to trigger a strong immune response against Sars-CoV-1, a relative of the Covid-19 coronavirus responsible for the Sars outbreak that killed 774 people in 2002 and 2003.

The hope is that this shot could be an effective “pan-coronavirus” vaccine, which could target all sorts of coronaviruses.

The Army is not the only institute developing designs for pan-coronavirus vaccines. Such a vaccine could also be useful to prevent future pandemics, which are expected to be driven by other kinds of coronaviruses.

“The accelerating emergence of human coronaviruses throughout the past two decades and the rise of Sars-CoV-2 variants, including most recently Omicron, underscore the continued need for next-generation pre-emptive vaccines that confer broad protection against coronavirus diseases,” said Dr Kayvon Modjarrad, Director of the Emerging Infectious Diseases Branch at WRAIR, co-inventor of the vaccine and the US Army lead for SpFN, in the press release.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Gob wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:24 am
Nice to agree with a god botherer for a change.
The Archbishop of Canterbury has said being vaccinated against coronavirus is a moral issue.

The Most Rev Justin Welby said that getting the jab reduces the chances of illness being spread and that 'it's not about me and my rights to choose - it's about how I love my neighbour'.

Asked during an interview with ITV News At Ten if being vaccinated is a 'moral issue', the archbishop said: 'I'm going to step out on thin ice here and say, yes, I think it is.'

He added: 'A lot of people won't like that, but I think it is because it's not about me and my rights.

'Now obviously there are some people who, for health reasons, can't be vaccinated - different question - but it's not about me and my rights to choose.

'It's about how I love my neighbour. Vaccination reduces my chances - doesn't eliminate - but it reduces my chances of getting ill and reducing my chances of getting ill reduces my chances of infecting others. It's very simple.

'So I would say yes, to love one another - as Jesus said - get vaccinated, get boosted.'

On whether it would be immoral not to get the jab when you are in a position to have it, Mr Welby said: 'I understand why people don't.'
A pope, a rabbi, and an imam walk into a Plan B thread...
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/08/18/1028740057/in-a-message-to-americans-pope-francis-says-getting-vaccinated-is-an-act-of-love
https://www.timesofisrael.com/top-ultra-orthodox-rabbis-recommend-community-vaccinate-against-covid-19/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/14/imams-mosques-uk-reassure-muslim-worshippers-covid-vaccines
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God