Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
TPFKA@W

Getting vaccinated

Post by TPFKA@W »

I have been quite vocal with the news of my contracting covid and my ongoing battle.
Let me tell you my friends, and foes, this virus knocked me flat on my ass.
Yet I am lucky, a couple of the patients, the ones I decried had been left to their own devices on the other side of a makeshift tent, and who probably brought about me having the virus, have died. (That situation changed the next day as those residents were sent out to another facility.)
It is no joke, no bit of it.
I was about this sick over 30 years ago when I had double pneumonia. (Right upper lobe, left lower lobe.)
Just as with this virus, there was a moment when I really thought I might die. My husband was so short of breath that we considered taking him to the ER. He has sleep apnea and uses c-pap but could not use it. We both sat here, panting like dogs, me coughing til my ribs hurt, he totally frightened. I sat up all night because if I tried to drift off I would bolt up gasping for air. We would sit up watching mindless TV til we were so exhausted we finally fell asleep. Last night I was finally able to sleep in a reclining position.
I, a person who has worked a job that required breakneck speed just to keep up, toddled into the kitchen and made a small meal for us. My legs were rubbery by the time I finished. I was a bit short of breath, but that end of things was much improved.
We can't get the vaccine for at least 90 days, when we can, we absolutely will, no doubt about it.
I know most of you are smart enough to take a shot at the shot, but to anyone vacillating bear in mind how easily this could have been a tale not told.

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Good point, powerfully made. Thanks, @W.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

@W, I don't know if they're still using them, but I urge you to donate convalescent antibodies when you recover; I took comfort in thinking I could at least help some people

dales

Post by dales »

I had pneumonia in 1999.

I got out of breath just walking across the room.

I could not sleep in a reclining position and had to sleep in a "praying" position.

They wanted to hospitalize me, I refused and got better after 2 weeks at home.

I can only imagine the unmitigated hell that COVID-19 is.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

I hope all the ant-vaxxers and anti-maskers stick to their guns, and do not bother getting the the "Bill Gates 5G" vaccine. We need more bleach in that end of the pool.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

The problem with anti vaxxers is they endanger those who legitimately can’t get vaccinated.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That's true CP, bu then unless it's just this vaccine they cannot get, those people have been in the same sort of danger most of their lives due to other diseases most of us are vaccinated for and know how to protect themselves. As for the others who just refuse to get vaccinated, I have little sympathy for them.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Infants do not have the ability to protect themselves

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

True, but that's why there are laws regarding treatment and vaccination of children.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Therefore they are being directly endangered by shithead anti vaxxers

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

From what I have read, this virus seems to target the adults, and ios certainly more serious for them than with children or infants. And from what I have heard, plans are only to vaccinate adolescents and adults, which my reflect this fact; I am not aware of any pediatric studies being currently run for the vaccine.

ETA: I just checked and it appears that pediatric studies are planned or ongoing--it wasn't clear--but nothing is expected untiul the end of the year or later.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I floated up with other first responders here. Got my first dose yesterday and scheduled for round 2 in just about 3.5 weeks.

Other than the muscle pain where I was injected, I’ve felt no tangible side effects.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Any worse than a tetanus shot?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

My wife had a couple of days being worn out after each shot. That was it tho.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:59 pm
Any worse than a tetanus shot?
The soreness reminded me of a tetanus shot. The soreness was tangible for about a day and a half. Completely gone now.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I have a friend in Maryland who is a dentist. He was vaccinated more than a week ago as group 1b. He 'registered' and immediately was called by someone at the hospital across the street from his dental office. They said come on over right now--we have no line of people waiting.

I am in the 1b group for Delaware and they are not even taking registrations yet. The Del. Health Dept says they will start 1b in about two weeks and it will be administered by WalMart and Walgreens.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Which vaccine have folks received?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

My mom (nearly 92) just called and mentioned she has an appointment for her first shot Jan. 29, with her second four weeks later. Still waiting for my shot slot.
GAH!

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I have to wait 90 days before I can receive it.

Meanwhile I am being hounded to return to work PRN. Pffffft.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:59 pm
Which vaccine have folks received?
I got the moderna