Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

John wasn’t entirely wrong. He was extremely unlikely to die from Covid, as a physically fit 42-year-old with no underlying conditions. The Covid mortality rate for a 40-year-old with no underlying health conditions is about one in every 1,490 people infected.

But his calculus when it came to understanding the risk-to-benefit ratio of Covid vaccination was off. If infected, someone who is unvaccinated is 32 times more likely to die of Covid than someone who has been vaccinated. While vaccination carries a risk of side-effects, this risk is far smaller than the risk of being unvaccinated during a pandemic.
The biggest beneficiary of vaccination is society as a whole, as opposed to any one individual, especially healthy individuals who can rightly note that they have little to worry about with COVID. It is just a very selfish view though.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Thanks LR, Borrowed your summary for a friend.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Reading that story made me weep. How incredibly fucking sad.

I hate the purveyors of disinformation and all the enablers, too. They are essentially murderers to my way of thinking.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Could it be that Sars-Cov-2 is jumping from humans to other animals, and possibly back. In the US, last Autumn, it was found in 80% of white deer. This potentially means there is a huge population of animals out there who can not only act as reservoirs, but can also provide conditions ripe for more significant mutations that in humans. The deer seem unaffected, so chronic infections may be more common and so more mutations, which then can bounce back to humans.

I just hope the Americans don’t react to this by announcing a mass cull of deer, as they did with Geese after the Hudson River air crash, portrayed in the Tom Hanks film “Sully”. Following that, they killed over 70,000 geese in a futile attempt to control our declining relationship with nature
From my mate's blog.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Just a small point of contention; bird hazing and culling near airports was going on long before the so-called miracle on the Hudson incident, and the 70,000 birds culled in the New York City area (on a major migratory route for birds of all kinds) in the several years since that incident was predominantly made up of smaller birds, and only a few thousand geese.

And here’s a reason why such bird culling isn’t some kind of irrational overreaction to the problem of bird strikes:

http://www.celebrateboston.com/disaster ... e-1960.htm

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/201 ... ane-crash/
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Deer hunting is a regular sport and there is already the apparatus in place to check the safety of the meat. The only time they use culls for deer is when the deer population either gets out of control or diseased in an area that is too close to dense population centers (parks golf courses etc)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Crackpot wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:13 pm
Deer hunting is a regular sport and there is already the apparatus in place to check the safety of the meat.
Yes; but there is no system in place to routinely check deer meat for covid. It appears that proper cooking of the meat will destroy pathogens, including covid viruses. But when dressing the meat, wear gloves.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Specifically COVID no (that I’m aware of) but there are systems in place for checking hunted deer meat (at least in Michigan)

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I'm not a hunter, but living in Wisconsin you are exposed to a powerful hunting culture, especially with regard to deer season.  I do recall that within the past twenty years there have been several instances where white-tailed deer were found to be infected with chronic wasting disease, a fatal, infectious nervous system disease of deer, moose, elk and reindeer/caribou.  It is part of the family of diseases known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs) or prion diseases — as opposed to COVID, which is a virus.

The hunt went on, but hunters were advised to first of all have their deer carcasses tested for presence of the disease. They were also advised to not consume meat from deer that had tested positive or had been taken from areas where instances of the disease had been confirmed, since processing or cooking the meat did not destroy the prions.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Does Wisconsin have the testing stations that we have in MI?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

And if you remove the first and last letters from OMICRON, I'm pretty sure it means MICROSOFT.

It's eerie...

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Crackpot wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:43 pm
Does Wisconsin have the testing stations that we have in MI?
Don't know ... like I said, I'm not a hunter.  But they must have had some way of testing the deer the hunters took ... unless they let them process the deer while the tests were being conducted, and then — if the test came back positive — advised said hunter to shit-can the affected venison.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Oh this is lovely;
"It is just my opinion and as I am not sure I am not surrendering my body ..not whilst they are building concentration camps in Australia for un va**efd and killing children all under an umbrella of 'safe' and 'good for humanity'"
Some numty hippy bird, calling herself "Lowen Moon", on the local rag FB page. God help society if she breeds...

MajGenl.Meade

Stick 'em up

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Armed men held up a vaccination team stationed at a taxi rank in Soshanguve, Tshwane and robbed them of their cellphones and tablets on Saturday. The Gauteng health department said the men emerged from a white Toyota Quantum and robbed the team at gunpoint while they were busy inoculating people at the Wonder City taxi rank's vaccination pop-up site at around 09:00.

"The Gauteng Department of Health condemns in the strongest possible terms the attack on [the] Tshwane District vaccination team. The perpetrators fled with vaccination programme gadgets which consist of three tablets, one smartphone and six cellphones belonging to the team," it said in a statement.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

'wasting . . . ' disease is caused by Prions which are very scary stuff. Normal cooking or sterilization will not make them safe. It was found in local squirrels in DelMarVa years ago and I stopped hunting them--even though I really like to eat them, better (to me) than rabbit, duck or even chicken.

snailgate

Gob

Post by Gob »

Had the Moderna for my booster jab. For the first time I've got side effects, my lymph nodes in my left arm are all swollen.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Got my booster jab this afternoon.

No noticeable problems so far, other than Bill Gates's voice inside my head nagging me to upgrade to Windows 11.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God