Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
eddieq

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by eddieq »

Got shot 2 Sunday afternoon. In and out, no waiting.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Hoping to have all over 50's vaccinated by May here. There's two more cohorts to go before me.
Those aged 65 or over.
Anyone aged 16-64 who has an underlying health condition that makes them more at risk of suffering serious disease if infected with COVID-19.
The over-60s.
The over-55s.
The over-50s.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Gob wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:14 am
Hoping to have all over 50's vaccinated by May here. There's two more cohorts to go before me.
Those aged 65 or over.
Anyone aged 16-64 who has an underlying health condition that makes them more at risk of suffering serious disease if infected with COVID-19.
The over-60s.
The over-55s.
The over-50s.
Here in California, this is the current plan for vaccinations after us seniors are done with...
Essential workers in the sectors of education and child care, emergency services and law enforcement and food and agriculture are next in the state's prioritization framework.*
Shouldn't those "essential workers" have been in the group before seniors? At least before those of us without chronic health issues?

*source article

dales

Post by dales »

Kaiser won't get around to me before summer 2021 at the earliest.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:50 am

Here in California, this is the current plan for vaccinations after us seniors are done with...
Essential workers in the sectors of education and child care, emergency services and law enforcement and food and agriculture are next in the state's prioritization framework.*
Shouldn't those "essential workers" have been in the group before seniors? At least before those of us without chronic health issues?
Not if the priority is to save lives. 93% of COVID deaths are those age 55 and above. The older the person, the higher the risk level of death from COVID. It is simple, prioritizing older citizens will save more lives, many more lives, than immunizing healthy people who, statistically speaking, have a very low risk of negative impact if they contract COVID. That includes essential workers.

Plus, since the main justification of the lock down is to save lives of those most vulnerable, the sooner those most vulnerable are immunized, the sooner the lock down constraints can be eased, and the economy can begin to recover and we can begin the process of returning to a more normal life.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Long Run wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:24 pm
Not if the priority is to save lives. 93% of COVID deaths are those age 55 and above. The older the person, the higher the risk level of death from COVID. It is simple, prioritizing older citizens will save more lives, many more lives, than immunizing healthy people who, statistically speaking, have a very low risk of negative impact if they contract COVID. That includes essential workers.

Plus, since the main justification of the lock down is to save lives of those most vulnerable, the sooner those most vulnerable are immunized, the sooner the lock down constraints can be eased, and the economy can begin to recover and we can begin the process of returning to a more normal life.
I wonder what percentage in lives saved that makes. I know "they" are currently assuming that vaccinated people can still transmit the disease but it seems to me that vaccinating people who have the most contact with other people would make a significant difference in how much virus is transmitted to elderly people.

My reasoning is why I'm not a member of "they" and I'm also not paid to think anymore.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I agree Joe. I'm 71 so I've had my first shot, second one on Sunday. But I can stay at home and shop once a week and I have controlled contact with maybe 10 people per week apart from my wife. I would think they would vaccinate the young guy at the supermarket before me: he is there 40 hours a week and probably comes into controlled (and sometimes not so controlled) contact with a thousand people in a week. From the pov of protecting the herd, they'd get more mileage out of that dose. Besides, I've stayed inside this long, I can do it for another month or two.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I received my second COVID vaccination about two hours ago. Now I'm less of a danger to society. I hope everyone else gets theirs soon. Happy Valentines day...

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Congrats! 🎉

Getting my 2nd dose Wednesday, already feeling huge relief and excitement about broadening my horizons in the coming months. I’m hoping to volunteer at my local hospital to visit and sit with covid19 patients who can’t have family/friends visit. I just read an article in the news about a hospital in Plymouth that is recruiting vaccinated hospital staff to be volunteer visitors for covid19 patients there, so I’m hoping we might get one going here - if they haven’t already.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

Lucky youse guys.

Waiting on Kaiser and they simply don't have the supply.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

dales wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:07 am
Lucky youse guys.

Waiting on Kaiser and they simply don't have the supply.
That's crazy. I would have expected Kaiser to be one of the better providers of the vaccine. You might be able to get it somewhere else sooner if you check with your county health dept.

Gob

Post by Gob »

We start vaccinating all over 65 yr olds here today, I'm in the next cohort.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

We are just about ready to start thinking about not getting vaccinated. This will be followed by planning on getting vaccinated. There will then be a short intermission while all the vaccine is stolen.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I am still waiting, but NJ's online registration is precisely what you would expect from NJ--pretty much crap that is difficult to deal with. I am not that concerned as I have had the disease and believe I likely have some immunity, but I think it makes sense to get the vaccine to keep the numbers up and move toward a reopening. The worst I have heard recently is there are a few families in my neighborhood hwich include a physician, and the entire family has been vaccinated (maybe this makes sense, but families of healthcare workers are not among those who shoudl be receiving the vaccien according to the schedule) while I know neighbors in their 80s who cannot get the vaccine. From what I see, people in the southern part of the state (including around Sue) are doing a better job , but this is what I have come to expect from NJ.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:09 pm
We are just about ready to start thinking about not getting vaccinated. This will be followed by planning on getting vaccinated. There will then be a short intermission while all the vaccine is stolen.
It's always good to have a plan to have a plan in case a plan is needed.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Just remember, please, that vaccination only helps keep you from getting sick. The data is still unclear as to whether someone with the vaccine can still shed and spread the virus.

Masking, handwashing, and social distancing is still required until everybody is vaccinated.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Here's my 2nd vaccination update:

After being told by my doctor and then the person who stuck a needle in my arm that young people are the one's that are the most symptomatic after receiving the COVID vaccine I figured I wouldn't feel much different after the 2nd shot than I did after the first. Today I have a sore arm, slight headache and an overall feeling of impending death. Other than that, I'm fine.

The reason I was given that younger people feel worse than older people after the vaccine may be because of their "more robust" immune systems. So I guess that means I should feel good that I feel bad, right?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:32 pm
From what I see, people in the southern part of the state (including around Sue) are doing a better job , but this is what I have come to expect from NJ.
I'll find out this week; spousal unit goes tomorrow, I go Wednesday, son goes Friday. SU and son are going to the Virtua Hospital-run mega-site at the mall; I'm going to a state/county-run site at a state college campus.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Second dose on board 🎉
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I have not yet begun to be vaccinated. I am waiting for some of the dust to settle and hoping my temporary immunity is working.