Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:27 am
I got a booster, in the style de moderna, it turned out hitting me harder than the previous 2 jabs. I declare that I am not getting any more in the future. My ex DON and multiple former coworkers have all got the covid again after thrice receiving the jab, with DON reporting that covid the second was as bad as the first. I am done.
I am curious. Do you still feel this way? I'm now getting notices that it's time for me to get the 2nd booster. I don't know what to think anymore. I guess know I really should just ask my doctor.

In the meantime, what do others here plan to do? Have you gotten the number 2 boost and/or plan on getting it soon? One thing I have noticed is the dwindling amount of mask wearers at non-medical facilities around here. If there aren't many responses to this, I think I'll just create a poll.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I am over 82 years old. I live alone. I have done the 2 Pfizer sticks when they first became available to the masses here in Delaware. The first shot was (excuse my racist/cultural bias) a Chinese fire drill at the DMV facility with traffic backed up on the Delaware Rt One (the state's major North-South limited access hiway)for miles and I had about a 5 hour wait. The second shot three weeks later was pretty simple. They seemed to have learned from the first one. It was done in the parking lot for the Dover (Nascar) race track. I had an appointment time, I got there 15 minutes early and I was out before my actual appointment time.

I read the stuff about boosters and decided I wanted the a third shot and got it free, no questions asked at the local Walgreen drugstore on 6 Aug 21, Just before the feds officially recommended it. I got the 4th about a week ago, also at the Walgreen. The last two were Moderna (mix and match has been ok'd by the feds) I have had no bad reaction from any of them. The last one was the only one that even brought some soreness at the site. I got the free home test kit from the fed in the mail. About the same time my local library started handing out free test kits. it took me a long time to figure out the instructions, that T was 'test' and C was 'control' I felt like an idiot that it was not obvious to me. I have never tested positive. I still wear a mask most of the time, when I am inside and away from home. .In about two weeks I will be flying to Kansas City Missouri and I plan to wear a mask most of the time. I expect to catch alot of flack about it. But I will just be generous and kind to my benighted friends and family in Missouri.

I heard a story on NPR today that the Moderna company has been working on this technology for vaccines for almost 50 years, but it was never taken up for the other shots because the approval process from the CDC was prohibitive, considering the old style was working good enuff.

snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I got my first two jabs of the Pfizer version of the vaccine back in October, and I'm due for booster #1 later this month.  Yes, I'll be getting it.

The only thing I wonder is if the booster I'm going to get is going to be the same one they were talking about back in October (before they decided a second booster was going to be necessary), or if it's been 'improved' to cover both the original and booster #2.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:42 am
I got my first two jabs of the Pfizer version of the vaccine back in October, and I'm due for booster #1 later this month.  Yes, I'll be getting it.

The only thing I wonder is if the booster I'm going to get is going to be the same one they were talking about back in October (before they decided a second booster was going to be necessary), or if it's been 'improved' to cover both the original and booster #2.
I’ve read that this booster is no different from the last one but I haven’t verified that yet.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Thanks for the response, Snailgate. You’re one of the few I’ve heard from that had no reaction to the vaccination.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I had no reaction to my first two, Astra-zenica shots. The third, Moderna, gave me swollen lymph nodes and a bit of a sweat.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

No Greater Fool

Post by No Greater Fool »

All 4 Pfizer, no ill effects from any of them.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Planning to get the #2 booster soon. Kind of debating whether to get it now, or wait until end of summer when it might be more useful against seasonal surge. I don’t go to indoor settings with groups of people much - the grocery store is my largest exposure risk.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:24 am
TPFKA@W wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:27 am
I got a booster, in the style de moderna, it turned out hitting me harder than the previous 2 jabs. I declare that I am not getting any more in the future. My ex DON and multiple former coworkers have all got the covid again after thrice receiving the jab, with DON reporting that covid the second was as bad as the first. I am done.
I am curious. Do you still feel this way? I'm now getting notices that it's time for me to get the 2nd booster. I don't know what to think anymore. I guess know I really should just ask my doctor.

In the meantime, what do others here plan to do? Have you gotten the number 2 boost and/or plan on getting it soon? One thing I have noticed is the dwindling amount of mask wearers at non-medical facilities around here. If there aren't many responses to this, I think I'll just create a poll.
I pretty much still don’t want to feel as sick as it made me feel. Time may change my mind.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:53 am
I pretty much still don’t want to feel as sick as it made me feel. Time may change my mind.
If I may wax a little philosophical, it is better to feel sick for a period of time than to not feel anything because one is dead.  Yes, I know the Grim Reaper will come eventually for every one of us, but there's no sense in making it any easier for him.
Get the booster.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Saw my doc for my semi-annual visit last week, he recommended getting the second booster sooner rather than waiting for the anticipated fall surge. His reasoning was that the protective effect from my October booster was likely waning and we'll probably be looking at additional boosters in the fall anyway. So I'm gonna get one this week or next, as soon as I can work an appointment into my schedule. I've gotten 3 Pfizer shots so far with no ill effects from any aside from a little tenderness at the injection site.
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:56 am
TPFKA@W wrote:
If I may wax a little philosophical, it is better to feel sick for a period of time than to not feel anything because one is dead. Yes, I know the Grim Reaper will come eventually for every one of us, but there's no sense in making it any easier for him.
Get the booster.

It's not often that I can say I agree 100% with BB, but here we are.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'll get it eventually, but I do want to read a bit more on how long the immunity lasts. I have a friend who is an orthopedist in NYC; when the third booster was mandated for healthcare workers, he told me he took and antibody test and was revealed to have a high titer. While he preferred to wait until the booster would be indicated, the hospital insisted he either have the booster or he would have hsi privileges terminated. He, obviously, had the booster.

I do think it 's worth considering the immune status of a patient before taking a booster; obviously, the health authorities cannot do this for everyone, but it makes sense to do it for ourselves. It's not a one size fits all response.

FWIW, I do not think there is anything negative about having an unnecessary (or early) booster, but I don't think "it may not help but it won't hurt you" is the best way to make medical decisions.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I read a story recently (was it here?) about a guy I think in Germany who has had ~90 covid shots administered to him, which he got so he could sell the authentic cards with dose batch numbers on the black market to antivaxxers who want a vaccine passport.

I guess I shouldn’t put my booster off, it’s very unlikely to hurt me for more than a day.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Sue U wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:59 pm
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:56 am
TPFKA@W wrote:
If I may wax a little philosophical, it is better to feel sick for a period of time than to not feel anything because one is dead. Yes, I know the Grim Reaper will come eventually for every one of us, but there's no sense in making it any easier for him.
Get the booster.
It's not often that I can say I agree 100% with BB, but here we are.
Thank you, Sue.  I know that some of my beliefs and convictions do not mesh with others here on the board and that I can be a little abrasive at times, but I appreciate it when people realize and acknowledge that I am not completely full of shit.
-"BB"-

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Got a call last week from the NJ Dept of Health asking if I'd like a booster and if I needed any help to get one. (After what we went through in 2020,they are not sleeping on COVID here.) But I already had an appointment with my provider to get one today, so 4th shot on board as of 1100 EDT. Feeling fine. Just checked the Docket app and today's booster is already listed in the NJ DOH registry. I have to fly next week (first time since the pandemic) so I'm glad to have all the protection I can get.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m scheduled for my 2nd booster Thursday after work - that gives me all weekend to feel yucky, just in case.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

My wife got her first booster a few weeks ago and it put her out for a couple days (she couldn’t get her booster earlier because she caught COVID).
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Tried to schedule an appointment for my Pfizer booster for later this week, but the county health center is temporarily out.  They expect to have some by Wednesday or Thursday, so I'll check back with them then.  With luck, I should be jabbed and full of anti-virus juice by the weekend.
-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Got dose 4 this afternoon; was wondering if they’d given me saline instead because I’ve had zero side effects until just this minute when I realized a tiny bit of soreness in my arm.

Wondering if it has anything to do with the changes in my body since I went on HRT. This is my first vaccine since then and it’s barely bothering me whereas all my previous covid19 vaccinations, and my Shingrix vaccinations, left me feeling like a truck hit me within 4-6 hours of administration.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Well I don’t know why the delayed onset this time, but I was woken at 5:30am by the pain all over my body as if I’d been beaten or hit by a car. My wrist bones and fingers even hurt!! It’s going to be a lousy day but worth the peace of mind that my immune system will be boosted in case the virus ever finds its way to me.
~ Carl Sagan