Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by Joe Guy »

Econoline wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:17 pm
Got my booster jab this afternoon.

No noticeable problems so far, other than Bill Gates's voice inside my head nagging me to upgrade to Windows 11.
Good luck with your potential side effects. Regarding Windows 11, I recently upgraded and discovered today that the Windows Calendar no longer shows or creates appointments. It's just a calendar now and I don't know if it's going to be fixed. So, if you use the Windows calendar to track appointments, don't listen to that chip Bill Gates put in your vaccine.

dales

Post by dales »

Got my Pfizer jab today.

No noticeable side effects.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Somebody quoted a statistic to me this morning. Cannot say it is accurate, but . . .

Of the people currently in hospitals in Connecticut because of Covid19, 100% are not vaccinated.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

This NYT opinion piece just came out - an ER doc in western Michigan who reports like 98-99% of Covid admissions are the unvaccinated, and how bad the burnout is among the medical professionals who are about to hit two years of watching covid19 patients die and dealing with overwhelmed facilities. It must be absolutely maddening at this point to grapple with the reality that almost all the hospitalizations and deaths are preventable with a free and easily accessible vaccine. The antivaxxers just don’t give a shit about doctors nurses or anyone else.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/opin ... e.amp.html
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Burning Petard wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:59 pm
Somebody quoted a statistic to me this morning. Cannot say it is accurate, but . . .

Of the people currently in hospitals in Connecticut because of Covid19, 100% are not vaccinated.

snailgate
The overwhelming percentage of hospitalizations are among the un-vaccinated (as well as deaths), but it would be statistically impossible for it to be100% with the break-through rate (there are just too many 80+ year olds who have been vaccinated, so that even the small percentage who then contract COVID and die from it adds up to a measurable number).

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Just saw a heartbreaking piece on Anderson Cooper’s show that was filmed at Sparrow Hospital in Michigan where the Emergency department has been overflowing for a month and there is a days long wait for a floor bed once admitted to the hospital - everything elective and non-emergent is on hold while the hospital struggles through the ever growing surge.

Please give our sincere thanks and well wishes to your wife, crackpot. I keep her and other healthcare professionals on the front line in my prayers, it is unconscionable that the unvaccinated are forcing them to endure another covid winter.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Here’s the online version of the CNN story: https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/09/us/hospi ... index.html
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Got dose #2 of Shingrix this morning. About an hour ago I got hit by a Mack truck full of body aches. Took ibuprofen and early to bed hopefully I’ll wake up feeling much better.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Body aches are awful ibuprofen not touching it. 🥺
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I went through the same. Spent most of the next day with a fever, but by bedtime it was gone.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Over 91% Democrats vaccinated, while only 60% Republicans have taken one shot, data reveals

Of every 100,000 residents, 25 died of Covid in Trump counties in October, compared to the 7.8 in Biden-voting counties

New data analysis has revealed that if US Democratic voters were to make up their own country, it would have one of the world’s most vaccinated populations, with more than 91% of adults having received at least one shot.

Meanwhile, approximately 60% of Republican adults have received their first shot, according to data research by the New York Times.

And the gap in Covid’s death toll between “blue” states that vote mostly Democratic and “red” states that vote mostly Republican this fall widened more quickly than at any previous point of the pandemic.

A total of 25 out of every 100,000 residents in counties that voted for Donald Trump died of Covid in October, compared with the 7.8 per 100,000 in counties that voted heavily for Biden, according to the data analysis from the Times.

October marked the fifth consecutive month that the percentage gap of death rates in red and blue counties widened.

Charles Gaba, an independent health care analyst, said that in October, the “reddest” tenth of the US saw death rates from coronavirus six times higher than the “bluest” tenth.

“Those numbers have dropped slightly in recent weeks,” he told National Public Radio. “It’s back down to 5.5 times higher.”

Counties where Trump received more than 70% of the vote experienced an even higher average of Covid-19 deaths compared with counties where Trump won at least 60%, the new data research revealed.

By contrast, Covid-19 deaths in heavily Biden counties and swing counties did not rise over the past two months, despite the nationwide surge in cases.

In a press briefing on Friday, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki reiterated the importance of Covid-19 precautionary measures and vaccines.

When asked about whether Biden will change his holiday plans and encourage Americans to think twice about doing anything special for the holiday break, she said: “We know that vaccines work, we know testing works … We know masking works … so we’re going to continue to double down on the steps and the approaches that we know have been effective to date.”

Earlier this week, the US death toll from Covid-19 passed 800,000, marking the highest reported toll of any country in the world.

The US accounts for approximately 4% of the world’s population but about 15% of the 5.3m known deaths from the coronavirus since the outbreak began in China two years ago.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Great way of winning an election, get the other side to off themselves via stupidity! :lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

No Greater Fool

Post by No Greater Fool »

Raises the country's IQ at the same time! :D

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

‘No evidence’ Omicron milder than Delta, British researchers say

Imperial College London study also finds Omicron five times more likely to cause reinfections, but some experts say there are still not sufficient data to draw conclusions.

British researchers say they have found “no evidence” that the Omicron coronavirus variant is milder than Delta, casting doubt on the cautious optimism of some experts that the new strain may not be as virulent and not overwhelm healthcare systems.

The study by Imperial College London (ICL) on Friday – released just as British officials reported record COVID-19 cases for the third consecutive day, with a rise to 93,045 new infections – also found that the risk of reinfection with Omicron is more than five times higher than Delta.

The non peer-reviewed research was based on UK Health Security Agency and National Health Service data on people who tested positive for COVID-19 in a PCR test in England between November 29 and December 11.

“We find no evidence (for both risk of hospitalisation attendance and symptom status) of Omicron having different severity from Delta,” the study said, although it added that data on hospitalisations remains very limited.

“Controlling for vaccine status, age, sex, ethnicity, asymptomatic status, region and specimen date, Omicron was associated with a 5.4-fold higher risk of reinfection compared with Delta,” the study, which was dated December 16, added.

In South Africa, whose scientists were the first to identify Omicron last month, early anecdotal accounts have suggested that the new variant is causing less severe illness than previous ones – but scientists say it is too early to draw firm conclusions.

The country reported a record number of daily infections earlier this week.

“We believe that it might not necessarily just be that Omicron is less virulent, but … coverage of vaccination [and] … natural immunity of people who have already had contact with the virus is also adding to the protection,” Health Minister Joe Phaahla told a news conference on Friday. “That’s why we are seeing mild illness.”

However, ICL said in a statement that protection afforded by past infection against reinfection with Omicron may be as low as 19 percent, according to its research.

The study, which involved AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines, also found a significantly increased risk of developing a symptomatic Omicron case compared with Delta for those who were two or more weeks past their second jab dose, and two or more weeks past their booster dose.

Depending on the estimates used for vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic infection from the Delta variant, this translates into vaccine effectiveness of between 0 percent and 20 percent after two doses, and between 55 percent and 80 percent after a booster dose.

“This study provides further evidence of the very substantial extent to which Omicron can evade prior immunity given by both infection or vaccination,” study lead Professor Neil Ferguson said in ICL’s statement.

“This level of immune evasion means that Omicron poses a major, imminent threat to public health.”

But Dr Clive Dix, former Chair of the UK Vaccine Taskforce, said it was important not to overinterpret the data.

“The conclusions made are based on making assumptions about Omicron where we still don’t have sufficient data,” Dix said. “For example, we have no data on the cellular immune response which is now probably driving effectiveness of vaccines.”

He added: “This is a crucial missing assumption in the modelling.”

Some of the conclusions are different from the data emerging from South Africa, where vaccines are holding up well against severe disease and death at present, he said.

“There is a huge amount of uncertainty in these modelled estimates and we can only be confident about the impact of boosters against Omicron when we have another month of real-world data on hospitalisation ICU numbers and deaths,” he said.

An earlier study by Britain’s SIREN looking at reinfection risk in health workers, which was carried out before Omicron emerged, found that a first coronavirus infection offered 85 percent protection from a second for the following six months.

The data analysed by ICL was based on 333,000 cases, including 122,062 of Delta and 1,846 which were confirmed as the Omicron coronavirus variant through genome sequencing.

The new findings could accelerate the imposition of tighter restrictions across several European countries in a bid to stem the new variant’s spread.

“Given the rapid spread of the Omicron variant to date, it is now highly likely that this will replace the circulating Delta variant globally in thecoming weeks,” ICL Professor Azra Ghani said.

“One remaining uncertainty is how severe the disease caused by the Omicron variant is compared to disease caused by previous variants. Whilst it may take several weeks to fully understand this, governments will need to put in place plans now to mitigate any potential impact. Our results demonstrate the importance of delivering booster doses as part of the wider public health response.”

Meanwhile, the UK Health Security Agency said Omicron cases were doubling in less than two days in all regions of England, apart from the southwest. The variant is already estimated to account for more than 80 percent of new cases in London.

The variant has not caused large-scale hospitalisations or deaths as yet, though there is always a lag between infection and severe disease.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

800.000 dead in the USofA and still increasing. Why not vaccinated? I see it as basic selfishness. Most (meaning 51%+ who get Covid19) do not die, or even need to spend time in the hospital. My unvaccinated brother is now in the hospital with Covid as his wife and children sit waiting for him to die of lung and/or kidney failure--toss-up which will kill him first. Too many say the cost/benefit ratio says they need not make any changes that impact their travel or social life. Selfishness. The value of the village commons is forgotten. The new social contract has eliminated the ideas of my old boy-scout morality: always leave the place in better condition than I found it. Try to make the world a better place for everyone. Help the weaker.

And so we are puzzled when our quality of social interactions have dwindled compared to our parents.

'Tuna Hot Dish' is not even a joke on NPR radio anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/202 ... -funerals/

Funerals sill include a tribal feast--but it is catered.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m so very sorry about your brother, hope that he pulls through it somehow.

I was thinking tonight as I sat watching videos trying not to think - about how much my own mental health has deteriorated over the last two years of pandemic. It was already taxed by enduring the constant triggering of Trump in the White House but covid19 really really really weighed me down.

For a while I tried telling myself it’s just some middle age BS this sourness I have developed looking at the world around me. But recently I started working hospice with a lovely 95 year old widow - we spend afternoons visiting and often watching The Waltons which she loves (I do too!) and that brings me back to my childhood and very keen memories I have of the way the world around me was in the 70s and early 80s, when a show about poor mountain folks working hard and displaying core American civic values love of other and community, sacrifice to the greater good, patriotic deprivation for the common defense etc. was so appealing and a ratings boon.

I don’t like the way the world is going. Not one bit.
~ Carl Sagan

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:26 am

Funerals sill include a tribal feast--but it is catered.

snailgate
I've never been to a funeral dinner that was catered, but I've never been to a big city funeral. Meals by friends or church ladies is probably a small town thing.
Speaking of obituary casseroles, I can't remember being at a funeral dinner that didn't include "funeral potatoes". Check it out. They're so ubiquitous, that's what they are called: https://therecipecritic.com/funeral-potatoes/
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'm fully vaccinated and I have had my booster. No, I don't know "what's in it". Neither this vaccine or the ones I had as a child. Nor do I know what's in the 11 secret herbs and spices at KFC.
I also don't know exactly what's in Ibuprofen or any other painkiller-- they just treat my headaches & my pains.
I don't know what's in tattoo ink, botox and fillers, or every ingredient in my soap, shampoo or deodorants. I don’t know the long term effect of mobile phone use, or whether or not that restaurant I just ate at REALLY used clean foods and washed their hands.
There's a lot of things I don't know.
I do know one thing: life is short. Very short. And I, personally, still want to do things. I want to travel and hug people without fear, and find a little feeling of life "before".
Throughout my life I've been vaccinated against many diseases. Measles, mumps, rubella, polio, chickenpox, hepatitis, pneumonia, influenza, rotavirus, tetanus, pertussis. We trusted the science, and never had to suffer through or transmit any of those said diseases.
I'm vaccinated. Not to please the government. Not to make other people do it. But I don't want to:
* die from Covid-19
* clutter a hospital bed if I get sick
* not be able to hug my loved ones
* have to test routinely
* live my life in fear
❣️🙏🏻❣️
Can't say it any clearer
Copied & pasted. Feel free to do the same.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I posted that on my FB page maybe a week ago.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I don't think we're Facebook friends , so I didn't see it until today. Worth sharing I think.