You've been assimilated by the Borg.

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Darren

You've been assimilated by the Borg.

Post by Darren »

Is resistance futile?

Doc and I check the street corners as we drive past on the way to the VA hospital. We figure the percentage of people that have their faces planted in a phone. I'ts ubiquitous.

When did we start becoming members of the collective?

I'd say May 1, 1893 when Westinghouse/Tesla edged out Edison/Wall Street and proved the superiority of AC power. The national grid sprouted and spread to bring electricity to most Americans. Tesla founded what we consider modern civilization including inventing radio which has lead to today's instant communication.

Centralization beat decentralization (AC vs DC) given the sources that support the Borg.

That's been an ongoing theme that's culminated in our just in time culture. Amazon is the epitome of that with it's introduction of next day delivery. Electricity at the flip of switch was the first. The convenience of instant gratification and labor savings.

Centralization has allowed efficiencies that support ever increasing services and assimilation.

If you recall California's problem with stabilizing the frequency of the grid, that won't be the only symptom of an impending energy desert. With the exception of those who live off grid including a friend in D.C. we're all members of the Borg to some degree.

We've accepted assimilation willingly and to a large extent we're unaware of the pitfalls. Resistance for the vast majority is a no never mind. Power outages demonstrate the occasional inconvenience of assimilation.

Some may purchase an emergency home generator. Generac is a common supplier. Problem solved right?

Generacs are 3600 rpm machines. They're rated for standby use and not prime use. Running a Generac generator for an extended period voids the warranty. What does that tell you?

Thank you RBG wherever you are!

ex-khobar Andy

Re: You've been assimilated by the Borg.

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Resistance is not futile, apparently:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

😂
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

There are plenty of brands other than Gen-wreck around. (Honda, Kohler, Yanmar, and Honeywell come to mind-Cummins or Kubota for big ones.)

Darren

Post by Darren »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:11 pm
There are plenty of brands other than Gen-wreck around. (Honda, Kohler, Yanmar, and Honeywell come to mind-Cummins or Kubota for big ones.)
The engine can be the deal breaker. The Chinese sourced engines in the some of the Generac home units were problems.

I've seen a Cummins unit that came with a Ford V10. The original spec was for a diesel. The order was changed because of the issues resupplying fuel and the summer/winter issue. The electrical contractor never gave back any money.

My recommendations are 1800 rpm Onans (with an Onan engine) which are cheap used or a Hawk Power with the air cooled Lister Petter. The Hawk Powers are prime rated. I'm not sure about the Onan units.

I wouldn't take a residential Generac if it was free.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Darren wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:44 pm
My recommendations are 1800 rpm Onans
Don't they have ground problems?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Oh look, Darren is telegraphing the intention of his cronies to take down (parts of) the electricity grid. Perhaps someone should be reporting him to the FBI for investigation.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:00 pm
Darren wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:44 pm
My recommendations are 1800 rpm Onans
Don't they have ground problems?
Nah they’re always contacting the ground. Thier problemis they’re always cutting out just short of completing their task.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:lol:
Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Okay, it took me a minute, but

:lol: :lol:
GAH!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

:o :ok :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Darren

Post by Darren »

Scooter wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:00 pm
Oh look, Darren is telegraphing the intention of his cronies to take down (parts of) the electricity grid. Perhaps someone should be reporting him to the FBI for investigation.
I would love to talk to the Federal Bureau of Incompetence. Here's hoping someone here obliges.

I have no knowledge of anyone planning anything to compromise the grid as you suggest with the exception of dumb ass politicians who have no clue what they're doing. Did you miss California ordaining only electric cars to be sold after a certain date? Musk is on record saying the grid can't support that.

What I'm saying is it's very possible and may become even more so depending on what actions are mandated in the near future through political action.

After watching the debacle in California and the oncoming debacle in New York infrastructure will become less reliable. The deindustrialization of the US makes us reliant on other countries for critical infrastructure components. Those also happen to be long lead items taking a year or longer to manufacture and deliver.

Imagine the power being out in areas for a year. Can't happen right?

The government will take care of things? That's a laugh. FEMA can't find their ass with both hands.

Darren

Post by Darren »

If this is true, it's not good. Trump fired the head of the TVA for contracting to buy Chinese equipment. That order guaranteed over a years work for the GE Schenectady facility. That is the only place in the US that builds large steam turbines and generators. It would be a blow to have that facility close.

"Biden Rescinds Trump Order Banning Chinese Communist Involvement In US Power Grid"

https://twitter.com/SecretsBedard/statu ... 7474674689

We no longer build the large transformers used at large base load plants in this country. The Westinghouse facility in Muncie, IN was sold off for other purposes when Westinghouse went down the tubes.
Last edited by Darren on Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

This kind of stuff does scare me. This last year has proved that a just in time manufacturing outsourced economy is not one that can protect the American people in the face of major challenges, which climate change will be bringing regularly going forward. Having everything connected and vulnerable to cyber hacking is pretty terrifying. Watched The Perfect Weapon recently and was very unsettled.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:29 am
This kind of stuff does scare me. This last year has proved that a just in time manufacturing outsourced economy is not one that can protect the American people in the face of major challenges, which climate change will be bringing regularly going forward. Having everything connected and vulnerable to cyber hacking is pretty terrifying. Watched The Perfect Weapon recently and was very unsettled.

That's why Huawei was banned by executive order here and also banned in Japan and the UK. Of course we're back to playing footsie with the Chinese now. The recent flights in Taiwan's airspace was a test.

I suspect what happened in Ukraine isn't possible on the same scale here. The article from Wired magazine about the grid being taken down is a good read.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/inside-cu ... ower-grid/

I'm more concerned about damage to components of the infrastructure that require a long time to get a replacement.

This is where centralization has created single points of failure through out distribution systems.

An example is the closure of refineries and the expansion of the remaining facilities. In the past fuel was transported by barge up the Mississippi to Pittsburgh and beyond into the Ohio River and tributaries. Tankers that resupply local gasoline stations no longer fill at the old riverside terminals.

That trip took over a month from the refineries at Baton Rouge to WV. Barges were dropped at destinations going upriver and collected on the return trip downriver.

That's gone. The replacement for those terminals has been disrupted in the past resulting in fuel shortages.
Last edited by Darren on Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Darren

The Borg has been infiltrated by the Chinese.

Post by Darren »

Break in those boots.

" Thanks, Jen. In an executive order that the President signed last week, he also suspended a Trump administrative — administration executive order that was particularly aimed at keeping foreign countries, specifically China, from interfering in the U.S. power grid. But he suspended that for 90 days in that executive order last week. Given what you said about China today, why did he do that, especially related to something so critical to our national security as the power grid?

MS. PSAKI: I’ll have to — I think the President’s view on our relationship with China I tried to do my best to convey to all of you. I’ll have to check on that specific piece, and we’ll — we’ll circle back with you directly."

Darren

Post by Darren »

A cut cable in Brooklyn causes problems in the mid Altantic states.

Darren

Post by Darren »

During confirmation hearing Biden's Energy Sec. nominee says that there are jobs that might be sacrificed as a result of Biden's fracking ban.

Another attack on the Borg.