My personal count

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
TPFKA@W

My personal count

Post by TPFKA@W »

Four of my former patients have now died. Two coworkers who tested positive after I did have been in and out of the hospital. Another one came back to work and became very short of breath. Hospitalized with pulmonary embolism. In total 99 positive cases between staff and patients. Many had minor symptoms. Many of my former coworkers do not want the vaccine and are angry that it will likely become mandatory. This is a mentality I cannot grasp. :cry:

Joe Guy

Re: My personal count

Post by Joe Guy »

That's terrible news. And I don't understand why any of your former coworkers wouldn't want the vaccine. Is it that they don't want to be told what to do, they believe the vaccine will make them sick or is there some kind of conspiracy theory involved?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I got email tonite from a federal agency that I now have an appointment to get the first shot this Saturday. It is going to be done in the giant parking lot where the state does driver and vehicle tests. This is much sooner than I expected.

snailgate

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:09 am
That's terrible news. And I don't understand why any of your former coworkers wouldn't want the vaccine. Is it that they don't want to be told what to do, they believe the vaccine will make them sick or is there some kind of conspiracy theory involved?
I have no answer as to why. One who was very vocal is a cna who has horrible asthma. She is also black and we all hear about how hard hit the black community is. Another is a white older woman who has stomped and raged about it. So young, old, black and white are hit by this difficult to understand feeling that the worst thing in the world would be this vaccine. I guess the herd needs a cullin’.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I also received word tonight that I’m immediately eligible for my first shot and locations where I may go to obtain it. I’m ridiculously excited, as I thought I had weeks to wait.

Incidentally, I was admitted to hospital over the weekend for observation (tried passing myself off as a professor) and was dismayed to have a couple of nurses express to me their reluctance to get their vaccination. Same thing today at the dentist’s office. The concerns expressed were ‘the science is too new’ (I shared what I learned about the years of research behind the rna application in Moderna and Pfizer vaccination, but I don’t think it persuaded), and the vaccination ‘might make women infertile’. I can only assume the latter is one of the antivaxxer conspiracy theories circulating on Facebook.

Update: first dose scheduled next Wednesday 7pm at a nearby Walgreens.

HALLELUJAH!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

I received my first shot; there were no real side effects that I could tell other than a little soreness that I hardly noticed.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

liberty wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:51 am
I received my first shot; there were no real side effects that I could tell other than a little soreness that I hardly noticed.
Moderna or Pfizer?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

liberty wrote:
Try not to sit down.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

dales

Post by dales »

Here's the latest for me:

Dear Mr. Stupid,

Providing you the latest information on COVID-19 vaccine supply and distribution
With the recent announcement that California vaccine guidelines were expanded to include everyone age 65 and older, we’ve received many inquiries regarding eligibility and access to the COVID-19 vaccine. We want to provide an update with the latest information on vaccine supply and distribution.

Vaccine supply
Expanding California vaccine guidelines to include everyone age 65 and older increases eligibility by nearly 6 million people in the state. Unfortunately, the vaccine supply to distributors has not yet been increased to vaccinate that many people. Right now, vaccines are in extremely short supply for all vaccine distributors across the country, including Kaiser Permanente.

As a vaccine distributor, Kaiser Permanente is organized and prepared to distribute the vaccine as we receive supply. As of January 16, we have administered more than 170,000 vaccines in California. Each week, we receive a fraction of the vaccine required to meet our demand. Kaiser Permanente cares for more than 1.5 million members age 65 and older, and last week we received a vaccine supply of just 20,000 first doses. Our ability to expand and speed vaccine distribution depends on vaccine supply made available to our state. At the current rate, we’re looking at vaccine distribution that is much slower than any of us find acceptable. We’re doing all we can to get additional vaccine supply as soon as possible.

Vaccine distribution
Like many, consistent with state recommendations and due to the vaccine supply shortage, we’re currently continuing to vaccinate the following priority groups:
Health care workers
Long-term care patients
As supply becomes available, we’ll begin offering vaccine appointments to individuals age 75 and older in alignment with California Department of Public Health guidelines.

We’ll reach out to our members as vaccines and appointments become available for them. It’s not necessary to email, call us, or go online for appointments until we’ve contacted you first. Please note that primary care physicians can’t book appointments for vaccines.

What to do now
If you’re a health care worker, please complete an e-visit.
If you're age 75 or older, we’ll contact you directly as vaccine supply becomes available and we’ll provide you with instructions on how to make an appointment.
For all Kaiser Permanente members, stay up to date — for the latest information on when other groups may be able to get the vaccine, visit kp.org/covidvaccine.

The pace of vaccination is dependent on supply
We’re committed to getting COVID-19 vaccines to our members and communities as soon and as equitably as possible. We’ve added capacity so that as more supplies become available, we’ll be able to vaccinate many more members at additional locations.

We anticipate vaccine supply to ramp up over the coming weeks — but vaccine supply and eligibility may vary across counties and cities. We’ll keep you updated on vaccine eligibility and availability.

In the meantime, please continue to stay home, wear a mask, and protect yourself and your loved ones. Your health remains our top priority — today, tomorrow, and always.
IOW: we don't have enough supply so don't call us we'll call you.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I know several people reluctant to get the vaccine, because vaccines rushed into production have a fairly bad track record. (Swine flu, anthrax.) I have no intention of getting it.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:14 pm
I know several people reluctant to get the vaccine, because vaccines rushed into production have a fairly bad track record. (Swine flu, anthrax.) I have no intention of getting it.
Could you please provide evidence of the ‘fairly bad track record’ of the H1N1 and anthrax vaccines to which you allude; I have researched half an hour now and can’t find any?
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:19 am
liberty wrote:
Moderna or Pfizer?
Moderna
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:18 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:14 pm
Could you please provide evidence of the ‘fairly bad track record’ of the H1N1 and anthrax vaccines to which you allude; I have researched half an hour now and can’t find any?
Off e top of my head, both were yanked off the market.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Well since there were multiple vaccines for both H1N1 and anthrax in the USA and worldwide, I call bullshit on that very general statement.

I saw an article about one version of the H1N1 vaccine in Europe being retired from production, but not associated to any scandal or very unusual number of adverse incidents compared to vaccine safety stats as a whole. Certainly haven’t found anything justifying your original assertion.

Try again? Maybe you can show me where on the interwebs you first read something that helped you form this opinion? I am genuinely curious. I’m on a mission to defend vaccination, which is the greatest single advancement in the condition of humankind and I’m getting pissed about how many people are being propagandized with misinformation to distrust this life saving science.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

When she's right, she's right. There may be some confusion here with lawsuits against the US requiring troops to be vaccinated against anthrax. It was halted then resumed and still goes on today. The objection was to the mandatory nature of the program
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

He is probably referring to the 1976 swine flu, when there was an uptick of Guillain-Barré among those vaccinated. Mass vaccination was suspended and never restarted, but the vaccine remained on the market and was still indicated for use among high-risk individuals. Chronology is here.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

A summary of that event can be found here

The rate of GBS from that vaccine was well within the norm for vaccines, and in any case research has borne out that more people get GBS from influenza itself than from vaccines, so the vaccine is still statistically safer. While certainly scary, most people recover fully from GBS.

The ‘controversy’ of the 1976-77 swine flu vaccination program isn’t that it killed or permanently maimed people, but just that the flu outbreak didn’t become a pandemic as the USA was worried it would, thus they rushed to create a vaccine program. The specter of 1918 loomed large.

It isn’t relevant to today because there is zero question they we are in a sweeping global pandemic which is killing millions and zero question among rational folks that we desperately need a vaccination program to save many more lives than will be lost to the extremely rare adverse vaccination event.
~ Carl Sagan