Gorilla Got a Hold on Her

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
liberty

Re: Gorilla Got a Hold on Her

Post by liberty »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:45 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:30 pm
A response would be beneath me
My handcuffs or yours?
What some posters here have rights that other posters don’t have?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

liberty wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:25 pm
Some solvents will remove this glue from her hair such as MEK, but she would more stupid if she uses it, perhaps fatally stupid.
MEK = methyl ethyl ketone. It's not hugely toxic but it's really a lousy idea, as lib - in this case, accurately - says. Gorilla Glue lists only acetone as a means of removing the glue. MEK is a ketone like acetone and probably would work to soften (but not dissolve) the stuff.

I'm not sure she has any recourse except to shave the head as closely as possible, hoping that most of the glue will come off with the hair. Soap, warm water and natural replenishment of skin cells will probably take care of it in a month or so.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

It's because of people like her that products have to carry warning labels like these:
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

How silly that third warning is. Everyone knows that you can't fold a child without taking it out of its stroller.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

TPFKA@W wrote:
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
My handcuffs or yours?
Are yours fur-lined and did you formerly call them '@Womanacles"?

Waiting since 1968
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

There will be no lawsuit in this case as the sole intended use of the product is clearly printed on the label: It is to be used for gluing gorillas, obviously -- not people, not hair, not hair to people or vice versa. Although frankly I never suspected there were enough gorillas in American households to make Gorilla Glue a commercially viable product. You learn something new every day.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue, while I agree with you about the unlikelihood of succeeding in a lawsuit, what do you think of this approach. She was using a product call Got 2B Glued as a hair fixing spray, something Gorilla clearly would have been aware of. However, Gorilla chose to package its adhesive in a hair spray like aerosoi container, knowing people who use hair spray might just grab a spray can with their hair in their eyes, not to mention they called it a spray adhesive and Got 2 B called theirs a glue (we always could sue both and let the jury sort it out). Early in my career, I settlled a case for another cyanoacrylate adhesive, the kind contained in a little bottle (like eye drops); the plaintiff put it in his eyes and made the same sort of argument (people using eye drops might not see clearly enough to know what they were using); we settled and agreed to change the cap to something which could be distinguished from eye drops by feel (and to be fair, that was something as important to the plaintiff as the cash was; we even agreed to allow our competitors to use the same cap design, and they eventually did).

Gob

Post by Gob »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:04 pm
She was using a product call Got 2B Glued as a hair fixing spray, something Gorilla clearly would have been aware of.
Why would they have been aware of it?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Because they are an adhesive company which continually looks at products marketed/marks used which might affect their trademark registrations--Gorrila Glue and Got2BGlued are close enough that I am pretty sure they would have known about it (although both likely disclaimed the term "glue" or "Glued" from their respective marks). At least that's the argument I would make; I'm pretty sure documents produced in the discovery process would bear this out. Again, I don't think it's a strong case that would be won, but it's one which could be filed.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

She should sue the hairspray company who clearly caused confusion (for her stupid ass) by using the word glue in their product name. This too should be the thrown out. She should then be ordered to wear a warning sign.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

You know I am pro-plaintiff and am always happy to sue a large corporation on a products claim, but honestly I wouldn't touch this case with tongs. Lots of products besides hair spray come in aerosol cans: spray starch, oven cleaner, spray paint, disinfectant, insecticide, WD-40, you name it. This is not a case where she confused one product for another because of its packaging design. She knew exactly what the product was. The fact that there is some other product for hair styling with "glue" in its name is not the fault of the Gorilla Glue company; AFAIK, "glue" is a generic term that refers to many different kinds of adhesive products using different types of bonding methods and in different strengths. I don't think you can hold a company liable for accurately identifying its product as a glue or a spray adhesive. Maybe "Got 2B Glued" could be tagged for misleading advertising if it were not in fact a "glue" (whatever that might mean), but their product is pretty clearly not responsible for any injury (if there ultimately is any injury) in this case.

So if there is no negligence or defect in product design/manufacturing (suitable for intended use), packaging (generic spray can), advertising ("glue" and "spray adhesive"), the only thing left is defective warning. And I will bet dollars to donuts that at a minimum the Gorilla Glue can says "avoid contact with skin" and probably has some further cautionary instruction about what to do in case you get some on you. So it's got a warning about bodily contact; there's no requirement that a warning affirmatively mention every potential misuse in order to be effective. And based on a standard of "reasonable foreseeability," I don't think the Gorilla Glue company could reasonably foresee that anyone would use its glues as hair styling products anyway -- unless you show me a record of complaints from people who actually did (and after 2020, I'm prepared to believe that the average "reasonable person" may be a lot dumber than I ever thought).
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Her hair, or lack thereof, will likely be a warning sign for some time.

But the biggest problem here is that she is not a very sympathetic defendant. The guy who put the glue in his eyes was much more sympathetic as he had severe vision damage, and the container for the glue and the eyedrops (I don't recall which ones, but they were over the counter) were almost exactly the same; not to mention that people who use eye drops might not see that well and be able to easily distinguish the two. it made a lot of sense to settle.

Sue--I wouldn't touch it either and I think it unlikely that she would succeed or recover anything, but I think it passes the red face test. And FWIW, I think are a number of hairspray products using "glue" in their name. You're making a pretty big assumption that " She knew exactly what the product was" :lol: ; a jury could easily believe otherwise :D

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

She got the glue removed by the LA plastic surgeon for FREE, her hair is intact (except the pony tail she chopped off) and now she has $20k+ to spend on more bling and other crap to feed her obsessive selfie oriented lifestyle. (Maybe more money, she hasn’t taken down her GoFundMe because she’s clearly not done grifting.)

And her poor kids are being ridiculed. My pity is for them alone.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:39 pm
Because they are an adhesive company which continually looks at products marketed/marks used which might affect their trademark registrations--Gorrila Glue and Got2BGlued are close enough that I am pretty sure they would have known about it (although both likely disclaimed the term "glue" or "Glued" from their respective marks).

Ok, that's reasonable. But, fuck me, are they really expected to think that there were people out there dumb enough to believe that the two products were similar? Should I bring a suit against Got2BGlued for not gluing my tiles on?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:06 pm
Sue--I wouldn't touch it either and I think it unlikely that she would succeed or recover anything, but I think it passes the red face test.
If I were the judge assigned this case, I'd have my clerk call defense counsel and urge her to move for dismissal; I just don't see any way to make plausible claim here.
GAH!

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:38 am
TPFKA@W wrote:
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
My handcuffs or yours?
Are yours fur-lined and did you formerly call them '@Womanacles"?

Waiting since 1968
Go find the gorilla your dreams.

Gob

Post by Gob »

The Louisiana mom-of-five who sprayed her hair with Gorilla Glue has finally had the adhesive removed from her locks with the help of a Los Angeles plastic surgeon after a month-long ordeal that saw her burn her scalp with acetone and hack off her ponytail in an attempt to free her tresses.

Tessica Brown, 40, traveled to Los Angeles from her home in Violet, Louisiana, on Wednesday to visit Beverly Hills surgeon Dr. Michael Obeng, who dissolved the Gorilla Glue and rescued the mother's hair during a $12,500 procedure that took four hours to complete.

In a video taken at Dr. Obeng's office, Tessica - who was given a light anesthesia before the treatment - is seen lying on an operating table after the successful procedure, running her hands through her freed locks and tearing up with relief while marveling at the sensation.

Dr. Obeng, who offered Tessica the pricey treatment for free after seeing her plight online, used a custom mix of chemicals and natural products in order to dissolve the glue, having first practiced on a dummy head to ensure his formula would work.

Dr. Obeng used a mix of medical-grade adhesive remover, MGD - which is a mix of aloe vera and olive oil - and a small amount of acetone to break down the glue in Tessica's hair.

'I looked up the compound, the main active ingredient in Gorilla Glue: polyurethane,' Dr. Obeng explained to TMZ. 'Then we figured out the science, how to break it down.'

He continued: 'We bought chemicals that have components to dissolve the solvent, we used medical-grade adhesive remover that we use in the operating room.

'Then we have another active ingredient, MGD. We added MGD to it - which is an aloe vera and olive oil mixture. Then we added a little acetone.'

During the procedure, the mixture was applied to Tessica's hair using a spray bottle, while Dr. Obeng used medical tweezers and scissors to try and gently pull the matted hair apart, cutting the strands of glue that were holding her tresses together.

The doctor and his team, then ran a comb through the hair to finally remove the glue, before applying a deep conditioning treatment to protect the locks.

Video on page
download.jpg
download.jpg (6.17 KiB) Viewed 768 times

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue U wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:14 am
Big RR wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:06 pm
Sue--I wouldn't touch it either and I think it unlikely that she would succeed or recover anything, but I think it passes the red face test.
If I were the judge assigned this case, I'd have my clerk call defense counsel and urge her to move for dismissal; I just don't see any way to make plausible claim here.
Well you know much more about PI lawsuits than I do, so I defer to your judgment. Ordinarily, I would think if you could get the case to a jury anything could happen, but as I said above, she's not very sympathetic, so it could be problematic. In the case I described above that we settled, the guy was pretty sympathetic--he lost sight in one eye and severely damaged his vision in the other. The defense counsel we engaged to review it (no suit was filed, it was only threatened) pointed that out and said a jury would likely identify with him and the award could be big, even though he was the person who made the mistake and our product was clearly labeled as adhesive. Based on that, settlement made a lot of sense. I doubt very much a jury would feel the same way for her.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:19 pm
She got the glue removed by the LA plastic surgeon for FREE, her hair is intact (except the pony tail she chopped off) and now she has $20k+ to spend
The article says she paid $12,500. The only respectable thing to do here is donate the remaining dollars to a worthy charity.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

It was offered to her for free, but I saw nothing which indicated she paid for it.