Fore on the floor

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
MajGenl.Meade

Fore on the floor

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Tiger Woods suffers multiple leg injuries in single-car accident in Los Angeles
Woods was the sole occupant of a 2021 Genesis GV80 SUV when he headed northbound on a downhill, windy portion of Hawthorne Ave., a two-lane road in Rancho Palos Verdes. Sheriff Alex Villanueva said Woods was driving at a “relatively greater speed than normal” when his vehicle crossed onto the wrong side of the road before veering off the road entirely and onto a hillside. A neighbor called 911 to alert authorities of the accident, and Woods was conscious when they arrived on the scene.
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger- ... os-angeles
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Re: Fore on the floor

Post by Gob »

Sheriff Alex Villanueva said Woods was driving at a “relatively greater speed than normal”
WTF is that supposed to mean?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

He was going too fast. Perhaps even :o breaking a speed limit!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Bloody mealy mouthed phrase.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Gob--in some areas of the US (not sure of California, but it is true in many larger states with unincorporated areas (areas that are not a city, town or whatever that have no local laws) if there is no posted speed limit, a driver is expected to drive at a speed which is safe under the conditions (which can include weather, the location of the road and its proximity to residential/commercial/or open areas, etc.), and one can be ticketed for exceeding that safe speed (but I'm not sure if it would be for speeding or unsafe driving). Thus, the sheriff's comment might not be mincing words here, but just saying he was going at a faster speed than most people usually drive there (although whether that speed was safe is something to be determined later--given the accident I could imagine it would be unsafe). Perhaps some in California could weigh in on the speeding laws.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Here too, a road may be posted at 100km/h but one would be a fool (and a dead one) to try it on some of the high passes.

Plus also there are often "caution" signs suggesting a max speed on curves but they are not mandatory limits, merely advisory.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Around here, the "reckless driving" often comes into play when they are driving at or below the posted limit (which, by the way, is an upper limit, not a suggested minimum as people seem to think around here) but conditions prohibit that speed (snow, rain, darkness, etc.). I have seen a sign attached to a speed limit sign that adds, "Conditions Permitting", which honestly is probably because someone fought a ticket saying they were doing 55 in a 55 but got a speeding ticket.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Big RR wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:57 pm
Gob--in some areas of the US (not sure of California, but it is true in many larger states with unincorporated areas (areas that are not a city, town or whatever that have no local laws) if there is no posted speed limit, a driver is expected to drive at a speed which is safe under the conditions (which can include weather, the location of the road and its proximity to residential/commercial/or open areas, etc.), and one can be ticketed for exceeding that safe speed (but I'm not sure if it would be for speeding or unsafe driving). Thus, the sheriff's comment might not be mincing words here, but just saying he was going at a faster speed than most people usually drive there (although whether that speed was safe is something to be determined later--given the accident I could imagine it would be unsafe). Perhaps some in California could weigh in on the speeding laws.
Dear god....

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Many states (no idea on Cali) have a "basic speed law." Essentially, it means "if not otherwise posted, the speed limit is X." Depending on the state, it is usually 30-55MPH. (Massachusetts is 30mph.)

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

In Washington State, the speed limit is 25 mph on non arterial streets and 30 mph on arterials unless otherwise marked. Some cities it's less; Seattle just spent millions lowering the citywide speed limit to 20/25. Including streets built for 35 or 40.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

If, in the absence of any other mechanical failure of the vehicle, you are able to take a car off the road and put it on its roof while sustaining so much damage in the process that you yourself have to be extricated from the vehicle by emergency responders, I don't think it's too far of a stretch of logic to conclude that Mr. Woods — even if he WASN'T driving in excess of posted speed limits — was driving too fast for conditions and/or failing to maintain control of the vehicle.

Unless, of course, he wants to try to bluster his way out of it by saying, "No, that's just what I intended to do with it."
(and speaking from experience, it didn't work for me when I tried it either)
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

It’s not too hard to get int a situation where you have to be extracted from a vehicle as vehicles are designed to crush around you. The very act of putting the vehicle on its roof would be plenty to do that in most cases.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

The speed limit was 45, according to news stories. No sign he was speeding. More likely, he took his eyes of the road (or eye in Joe Guy's case) and simply missed the turn and was too slow to react before the car went over the embankment. Distracted driving is the most likely cause of the accident. Thankfully, no one was coming the other direction when he crossed the road.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Woods' Drive Goes Into Woods, Leaving Him a Tricky Downhill Lie

(too soon?)
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:lol: No, not when you consider the subject is "Fore" on the floor