Blood Type and COVID Occurance

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
dales

Blood Type and COVID Occurance

Post by dales »

If you have Type A blood, you're at a higher risk.
Study Suggests Blood Type Could Impact Likelihood of Contracting COVID-19
Joe Price
Thu, March 4, 2021, 8:49 AM

A new study suggests that a person’s blood type could impact their susceptibility to COVID-19.

Published on March 3, 2021 in the scientific journal Blood Advances, the study indicates that the virus that causes COVID-19, SARS-CoV2, appears to have a blood type preference. In particular, COVID-19 seems to gravitate towards blood group A in respiratory cells. The same can’t be said for red blood cells in the same group. The study also shows that there’s no preference towards respiratory or red blood cells in type B and O blood groups.

It’s worth pointing out that the study does not show that people with blood types B and O are immune to the virus, but it does suggest that blood type A individuals are more likely to get infected. Scientists have stressed that the study does not offer a clear indication on how COVID-19 impacts people of different blood types, but it is a step forward for coronavirus research.

“It is interesting that the viral RBD only really prefers the type of blood group A antigens that are on respiratory cells, which are presumably how the virus is entering most patients and infecting them,” said Sean Stowell, co-author of the study. “Blood type is a challenge because it is inherited and not something we can change. … But if we can better understand how the virus interacts with blood groups in people, we may be able to find new medicines or methods of prevention.”

Blood Advances published a similar study last year that showed people with blood type O were the least likely to get infected by COVID-19.
I have Type O.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Re: Blood Type and COVID Occurance

Post by Joe Guy »

I bet Crackpot has type O.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

A-
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Not TypO?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I may not have always done that great in school, but I did get an A+ in blood.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

The only part of me that Be Positive is my blood type.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Gob

Post by Gob »

O rh-
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

A+ as you might expect. But if this is true, I am astonished that it has taken a year of experience and 100 million worldwide (30 million US) cases to come to that conclusion. There are only three basic blood types - A, B and O - if the result is real with that amount of data, the size of the effect must be tiny.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

You forgot blood type AB, the universal recipient.

As for the study, I'd be interested in seeing the size of the sample analyzed and the statistical analysis. There are a lot of people who have had Covid, but I would guess the blood types of those affected are only known for a very small subset.